PDA

View Full Version : '85 Atc 350x no spark

NETRA3
07-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Ok, to make a long story short.....Checked the kill switch, used donor parts from my running 350x, cdi,coil,regulator,....still no spark....Haven't dug into the stator or pulse pickup yet or removed the cover......Is there any procedure for checking this? There are certain moments where the trike would start, ??? then its back to no spark...Thanks in advance....Dave

RIDE-RED 250r
07-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Well, given you have swapped in all of those known working components the problem certainly seems to be with the stator, pulse generator, or associated wiring.

I have a PDF of the Honda service manual for the 350x and it does go into detail on how to check the pulse generator and stator...

Here is a link where you can download the same manual: http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

plevib
07-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Check the resistance of the stator and pickup coil. Specs are in your manual (because if you don't have one downloaded by now you really should. ...)

I had the same exact issue on my 500x. The pickup coil had worked itself loose. Something to consider. Good luck! Hopefully you getting it working again!

NETRA3
07-09-2016, 10:27 PM
Check the resistance of the stator and pickup coil. Specs are in your manual (because if you don't have one downloaded by now you really should. ...)

I had the same exact issue on my 500x. The pickup coil had worked itself loose. Something to consider. Good luck! Hopefully you getting it working again!

Thanks, I have the manual.....We will pull the cover tomorrow and see if anything looks unusual.

arlaunch
07-10-2016, 02:51 AM
Are you conducting these tests with a brand new spark plug?

Some times it can be as easy at that?

I have had this happen before to find out it was the plug.

This is not meant to be insulting or anything like that.

NETRA3
07-10-2016, 07:42 AM
Yes, brand new plug...:)

NETRA3
09-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Well, pulled the cover cleaned all surface rust on the stator and pickup and still no spark....So, the headlights do light up when we kick it over, does that indicate that the stator is good and there's still an underlying issue?

f76
09-06-2016, 05:53 PM
The stator has two coil systems, one for lights and the other for ignition. The lights side may be good but the ignition side may be bad. Just a thought so you don't rule out stator right away.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-07-2016, 03:54 PM
^^^Truth^^^ X2.

I'm a bit concerned that you found rust on your stator and pulse generator... 350x uses a "wet" stator. Unless of course the trike spent a significant amount of time sitting....

Check all the solder connections on the stator where the wiring taps in. It's possible that the reason you found rust in places is the very reason you are having ignition troubles. Migt be as simple as re-soldering a wire connection on the stator.

If you conduct the checks on the stator with a multimeter as instructed in the service manual, you should be able to find your issue. Make sure and wiggle those wires as you ohm them out. At this point, I am betting your trouble is the stator and I strongly suspect you might just have to re-solder a joint.

Dirtcrasher
09-07-2016, 03:58 PM
You've got to use a quality multimeter and verify all the specs to the service manual.

It's easy. If you've done any recent work on the trike, that is where I'd look 1st as I screwed myself over 1 time and it took quite a bit of time to figure it out....

NETRA3
09-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the feed back fellas....This ATC has been tricky..Before we aquired the trike it had been sitting for quite sometime, but we have ridden it dozens of times, then it quit, ......I've usually been able to figure this stuff out 90% of the time, but this one is nuts. I've used my 350x as a donor and everything checks...I have heard however, that sometimes I can get a positive ohm reading and still have a bad stator, so this weekend I'll have a friend who was a honda mech have a look....Sometimes, someone with fresh eyes may find something I overlooked...I'll keep ya posted...Dave

Rob Canadian
09-07-2016, 08:33 PM
I had a poor ground on my coil (200X). Might be something to look at(?)

NETRA3
09-11-2016, 01:08 PM
Well, we discovered the problem.....and yes it was a ground issue...After going through the entire wiring harness, we discovered a broken ground wire leading into the CDI box plug. It was so cruddy and old that made it difficult to see the break. As usual, it was the very last part we looked at. Thanks for all the feedback, this is truly one of the best forums....Dave.

Dirtcrasher
09-11-2016, 03:34 PM
There should be a measure of Ohms or resistance.

f it pegs the needle (analog) or pegs the digital, go down to a lower scale.

I have a good multimeter of which many you can find cheaper if you search. Even my Craftsmen works well. But I usually use my Amprobe or Fluke.

If it pegs a reading, it's just like using a foot long piece of wire. Drop the scale to the next lowest reading and it shouldn't peg.

Kinda like a testing 2 portions on your frame with Ohms; It has no value or it's an incredibly low value of resistance.

Anything that acts like a resistor (such as a coil), you will find a value, or even a short to ground sometimes....