PDA

View Full Version : spark arrestor removal?

kawaboy-zx12r
07-07-2016, 05:41 AM
i was just looking at the manual for the yamaha trikes, it says to remove the spark arrestor and clean the carbon off it every 6 months, so i went outside found the single bolt holding it in and removed the bolt....but how the heck do you get it out of there? i bet its been in there since 1984 (i remember when that VanHalen album came out, it wasnt THAT long ago was it?) anyway i have been riding dirt bikes and mopeds since i was like 5 years old and have NEVER removed a spark arrestor, i do remember i had a moped when i was prolly 13 or 14 and it wouldnt run strong...my dad took it to the a shop and they dipped the whole muffler in acid and it ran real good after that.

oscarmayer
07-07-2016, 09:54 AM
with the laws changing you are far better off keeping it and buying a used cheepo one from ebay for a deal and save the arrestor for when you go someplace riding that requires it. my 250r came with an answer spark silencer. I am keeping it just for that reason.

RubberSalt
07-07-2016, 12:29 PM
It should pull out. I tried to clean mine out years back on my yt 175. I took the bolt off, it wouldn't budge. I forgot to put the bolt back in.. and it fell off in the dunes. Haven't seen it since.

DohcBikes
07-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Try spraying the seam where it connects to the can with CRC Freeze Off. This can shrink the metal and crack it loose.