PDA

View Full Version : 250SX Front Wheel/Tire Change

Frankencelery
06-30-2016, 11:24 PM
This has been done before. In fact, I got it from folks on another older thread. Decided to upgrade to a skinny front tire on my SX. So I bought a Douglas .190 10x5 rim and a 22x8-10 Kenda Front Max.

It rides fine, but it looks so short, especially with stock P/V 301's in the back. Trying to decide if I like it.

The rim fit perfectly. As the original poster said (sorry I forgot who it was to give credit where credit is due), the available Douglas rim has a 3.0 + 2.0 offset, which means you end up with the valve stem on the brake side, but it fits easily, and there's no problem getting to it with the air chuck.

UPNATM
07-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Looks to short?

Frankencelery
07-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Looks to short?
Not to you? There was a 22×11-8 Cheng Shin knobby on there, and it was really tall. This one is at least 2" shorter.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

UPNATM
07-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Not to you? There was a 22×11-8 Cheng Shin knobby on there, and it was really tall. This one is at least 2" shorter.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

It does look a little smaller than most 22's. I know that from tire to tire there will be a slight difference in size, even if both are 22''. But, a whole 2'' shorter is kinda strange.
Whats funny is that I put on both of my sx's 23x7-10 fronts, and it took me a while to get used to them. I thought they looked to tall!:D

Frankencelery
07-26-2016, 12:38 PM
Just a quick update- after riding it for a couple weeks, I don't notice the difference anymore, and as other folks said, the narrow tire gives better steering control. We hit the trails on our MN vacation last week, and it handled nicely. I would say it was a good upgrade!

OZQUAD44
07-27-2016, 10:15 AM
No more worries about tyre selection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redsox
07-27-2016, 12:57 PM
went down that road and back again. i initially liked it. i liked the look of the tire and the perceived improved handling. i didn't like the tendency of the front end to pin, (especially on rocky downhills), and i didn't like the loss of the tire flex in the front suspension. also, it changes the geometry of the machine, making it a bit taller. i didn't like that either. after much thought, i went back to stock. i ride with a few guys that kept it though and swear by it. to each his own.

Frankencelery
07-27-2016, 01:08 PM
went down that road and back again. i initially liked it. i liked the look of the tire and the perceived improved handling. i didn't like the tendency of the front end to pin, (especially on rocky downhills), and i didn't like the loss of the tire flex in the front suspension. also, it changes the geometry of the machine, making it a bit taller. i didn't like that either. after much thought, i went back to stock. i ride with a few guys that kept it though and swear by it. to each his own.

Interesting. The tire I used actually made the front a little lower, which I didn't necessarily like but got used to quickly. Forgive me...what do you mean by "the tendency for the front end to pin"? Does that mean the narrower tire gets stuck in holes or on rocks more? I was very concerned about that happening, but so far it hasn't.

redsox
07-29-2016, 06:19 PM
yes, exactly. Ask Dave Little. He had quite the nose-plant coming down off of a side hill. He said his front wheel pinned and he went right over. i think theres a thread about it. i'll take a look and see if i can link it. I didn't like how the machine lost the "point and shoot" ability to just eat up everything in front of it. It was a rougher ride and took a lot more effort. I prefer stock.

UPNATM
07-29-2016, 06:32 PM
I agree, I think the tire/wheel swap really depends on how and where you ride. I can see wanting a stock tire if your riding in a lot of rocky or rough terrain, as a stock tire has a larger print, and will roll over things a lot easier. For me since I do mostly trail and flat track riding, I love the tire swap. :)