PDA

View Full Version : Sleeved?

fieldy
06-27-2016, 09:27 PM
Considering a dirt bike trade. Can i see if a cylinder has been sleeved through an exhaust port with a flashlight on a two stroke. My mind says yes i could tell and my experience says i have no clue.The guy may let me remove the exhaust or intake to see. I think he may be very interested in my bike as i am in his. I really would lose on the trade if the cylinder in his bike has been sleeved i believe. I have always been steered away from sleeving do to the sleeves producing more heat than going sleeveless. If it's not sleeved i will be happy happy happy.
My opinion on the subject of sleeving is from talking to a man who has many years of rebuilding and racing Kawi 2 strokes.

loganm
06-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Ya. .......

jonolanracin
06-27-2016, 11:00 PM
I have a 76mm big bore 86 tecate cylinder a 85 tec cyl and a tri z cyl that all have been sleeved and ive never had any type cooling problems ever. It may be true that they dont run as cool as non sleeved cyl ive never heard that so idk but they have always been ok by me and i ride all mine hard alot lol

yaegerb
06-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Considering a dirt bike trade. Can i see if a cylinder has been sleeved through an exhaust port with a flashlight on a two stroke. My mind says yes i could tell and my experience says i have no clue.The guy may let me remove the exhaust or intake to see. I think he may be very interested in my bike as i am in his. I really would lose on the trade if the cylinder in his bike has been sleeved i believe. I have always been steered away from sleeving do to the sleeves producing more heat than going sleeveless. If it's not sleeved i will be happy happy happy.
My opinion on the subject of sleeving is from talking to a man who has many years of rebuilding and racing Kawi 2 strokes.

While it's true that nikisil runs cooler, a sleeved cylinder shouldn't deter you from buying that bike. Iron sleeved cylinders have been around since the start of the combustion engine.

RubberSalt
06-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Never had an issue with My tecate. It's got a sleeved KX jug thats bored 2mm over.

II wouldn't worry about it, unless it makes the price come down. Ton's of KX250s and tecates got sleeved due to the breakage on the intake bridge.

Never had issues riding mine, and i run it pretty hard. Mostly dune riding. Racer's are in a different class. Drag racing isn't going to be one of them typically. Those races don't last long enough to over heat anything.... Unless your racing Civics lol

fieldy
06-28-2016, 04:18 PM
Awesome, thanks all. Going to see the bike this weekend if its still there. I guess i wont worry about the cylinder if the cases aren't beat and most the bike is in good shape. Hoping to trade! Trading would be a first for me. I am really wanting the engine the most. If i get it i think i will have to get a picture up cause i will be happy happy happy. Yee haw!

RIDE-RED 250r
06-28-2016, 08:56 PM
You should be able to see if there is a sleeve present by removing the exhaust and cleaning the spooge from the exhaust port with carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner on a rag. If it appears to be aluminum (colored) all the way from the outlet to the actual cylinder wall, its a plated cylinder. You will see the different color of a sleeve.

I wouldn't be concerned with a sleeve either. I like a cylinder that can be bored to the next size when it wears out of spec. I don't like screwing around with replating/exchanging cylinders, not to mention replating/cylinder exchange is more $$$ than a bore job. That is my personal preference based on my (non-racing) experience. Granted, there are cooling benefits to plated cylinders, but I have not lost a steel sleeved cylinder due to the fact it ran hot just because its a steel sleeve....I don't think it really amounts to a hill of beans to the majority of riders, and IMHO a bore in a steel sleeve that is properly matched to the piston size is much more important to top end service life than the material that it is comprised of.