PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z Aluminum Skid Plate Interest?

tommerp
06-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Hey Trikers

Just trying to get a feel on if there is any need / interest in a new production Tri-Z aluminum Skid Plate? I'm looking at producing some but I will have a considerable up front cost to get tooling and production started.

The plate would be just shy of .25 inch thick aluminum. The base would be bent in two places to take in account the angle from the back under the sprocket and disk brake and then up to the swingarm. There would also be two vertical pieces welded on for the rear bold connectors.

These would not be identical to the PRM or OMF skids that were produced in the past and would be a new design.

Initial costs would be somewhere around $100 - $125 but quantities past an initial run of 50 would get a lower cost.

I'll upload some pictures of a mocked up version later for some visuals..

Basically, just trying to see if there is enough interest to even continue down this path.

Thanks!

christph
06-20-2016, 06:58 PM
I'm interested. There should be others as I occasionally see people asking about them. The original design is laughably inadequate, as it is on the Tecates. One good rock strike and they are bent. The only decent design back then was Honda's.

nstyle73
06-20-2016, 07:02 PM
OMF had gone down the road of producing these again about a year and a half ago, but apparently did not get the interest needed to make it feasible. That said, I would be interested. I would have to look into how it would mount on a Calfab though

tommerp
06-21-2016, 09:25 AM
+Christph - Yeah.. I've seen some flimsy ones too... Was trying to get something that was batter suited for dunes / trails to protect that bottom side a little better than the stocker

+Nstyle - Does the Calfab have mounting bolts in the same place as the stock swingarm?

skjr001
06-21-2016, 11:41 AM
I would be interested in a couple of them.

brrcuda
06-21-2016, 03:14 PM
interested...