PDA

View Full Version : 250SX Electrical woes

smokinp
06-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Hey guys ,

85 250SX ... Picked it up pretty cheap and was told it needed a coil ( had no spark ) . so I changed coil with a brand new one from Honda and nothing ....

I installed
-brand new moose racing stator
-New battery
-New coil
-New plug
-swapped out entire harness from a running trike
-swapped known good CDI

I have no spark AT all

-Bypassed the neutral safety switch and nothing .

Now my concerns ..... By connecting the red and black wires together on the key switch that is bypassing the key correct ? I noticed my switch is in pretty bad shape and want to rule that out

Other concern ..... Has anyone had any experince with the moose racing stators ? the wire colors are different ( do not directly match with factory colors ) so I was looking for a diagram ( cant find )

Yes I have a honda owners manual and ive traced wires .

any ideas ?

wonderboy
06-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Joining the red and black will bypass the key switch. Make sure that the other two wires from the key switch: black with white stripe and green are NOT connected. Connecting these together is used to shut down the motor.

I've had no experience with the Moose stator. However, a quick google search turned up this:
https://www.denniskirk.com/dk/pdf/instructions/20/dk2000549.pdf

This walks you through step by step how to install on your machine (these are the Moose instructions for the 250SX replacement stator)

Let us know if you followed these, or if you had questions on the instructions. They don't seem to be the easiest to follow, but we should be able to get through them...

wonderboy
06-08-2016, 12:09 PM
One follow up question: Is the electrical system dead, or will it crank with the electric starter and just not fire? There is a 15 amp fuse on the red wire near the battery. If the entire system is dead, check this fuse.

Dbro1216
06-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Not to hijack this thread but I'm having problems with a 1985 250sx electrical as well when hooked to a battery I can jump the solenoid and get the bike to start but no power to the starter switch I think some cut out my fuse as I can not locate one on the bike. I have two red wires what will happen if I just tie those to together without the fuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtcrasher
06-09-2016, 02:32 PM
The fuse is there so when the AMPs get too high, you won't have a fire.

Just splice one in of the proper amperage...