PDA

View Full Version : 82 Air Fooler Exhaust Install Issues

JacobMonster
06-02-2016, 10:47 AM
2nd 2-stroke machine I have ever owned, and the first one I'm working on.
I have another 82 in pieces at the moment.
So, I picked this sucker up for $820 with new rear 20 inch tires on Douglas rims, Pro Taper bars, and all the skid plates. Heres my issue.
Front exhaust flange was leaking oil and the bike was really loud, as if the header wasnt hooked up properly.. I thought maybe the exhaust was not seated correctly.
So I changed them out with another stock set and heres the problem.
My mounts dont want to line up when I fully seat the header pipe on the flange. Only the front most mount and the top muffler mount will sit in the right place.
My question being, should this exhaust header be seated completely on the flange, or is it made to sit partially on there?
Or am I just an idiot and I need to adjust the mounting brackets to make it fit?
Thanks for the input.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a543/Dragondude577/20160601_174350_zpscxlpn4zw.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Dragondude577/media/20160601_174350_zpscxlpn4zw.jpg.html)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a543/Dragondude577/20160601_174327_zpswnjgfhku.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Dragondude577/media/20160601_174327_zpswnjgfhku.jpg.html)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a543/Dragondude577/20160601_174332_zpsxj2yeszq.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Dragondude577/media/20160601_174332_zpsxj2yeszq.jpg.html)

yaegerb
06-02-2016, 11:31 AM
that pipe should fit all the way on the flange. Pipe may be bent and/or massaged to fit on correctly.

atc300r
06-02-2016, 12:16 PM
You need rubber mount like the top has on the silencer.And your flange should be seated all the way.Your whole exhaust system should be mounted to the frame with 4 of the mounts like the top rear.2 on the headpipe and 2 on the silencer.

arlaunch
06-02-2016, 12:27 PM
This link may or may not help?

Also,

You are not an idiot.

Don't forget to reference the manual for each and everything you do.

When you get things lined up, don't forget to use high temp silicone.

RTV makes it and sells it in your local auto store for around 7-8 dollars. I use it to seal the header pipe to the head and the exhaust pipe too.

https://www.piperepair.com/tips.htm

JacobMonster
06-02-2016, 12:41 PM
You need rubber mount like the top has on the silencer.And your flange should be seated all the way.Your whole exhaust system should be mounted to the frame with 4 of the mounts like the top rear.2 on the headpipe and 2 on the silencer.
I have the other rubber mounts. A few have dry rotted. I'll fiddle with it more this weekend when Im not mad at the bike.

that pipe should fit all the way on the flange. Pipe may be bent and/or massaged to fit on correctly.
I'll see what I can do this weekend and get back with you two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

JacobMonster
06-02-2016, 02:17 PM
This link may or may not help?

Also,

You are not an idiot.

Don't forget to reference the manual for each and everything you do.

When you get things lined up, don't forget to use high temp silicone.

RTV makes it and sells it in your local auto store for around 7-8 dollars. I use it to seal the header pipe to the head and the exhaust pipe too.

https://www.piperepair.com/tips.htm
Thanks for the tip Forrest.
I constantly forget I have the manual on my computer :/
That link is also going to help a looooooot.

yaegerb
06-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the tip Forrest.
I constantly forget I have the manual on my computer :/
That link is also going to help a looooooot.

I disagree with using silicone on an exhaust flange, but do what you need to.

JacobMonster
06-02-2016, 02:24 PM
I disagree with using silicone on an exhaust flange, but do what you need to.
Reasons for the disagreeing?

arlaunch
06-02-2016, 02:34 PM
I have lots of respect for YaegerBob!

With care i will post my reasoning for using High Temp Silicone.

Note: The attached pic below is from the Duncan Racing instructions/installation for a PT High Rev pipe, mounting to an OEM Flange.

This is just one configuration out of multiple.

I took the ball and ran with it. Likely to far.

Even though i have the dual O-ring set up flange blah blah blah.

No leaks for me.

Lots of pain in the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro cleaning, when i need to reinstall it though.

yaegerb
06-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Reasons for the disagreeing?

Its a mess and if you have a good ring/gasket on the flange then you will have enough for an adequate seal.

I would be a rich man if I charged the time it takes for me to remove all the RTV someone used when trying to seal up a pipe.

JacobMonster
06-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Its a mess and if you have a good ring/gasket on the flange then you will have enough for an adequate seal.

I have lots of respect for YaegerBob!

With care i will post my reasoning for using High temp silicone

No leaks for me.

Lots of pain in the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro cleaning, when i need to reinstall it though.

If I have any leaks, I may go that route. But I doubt I will need to.

Everything fits nice and snug, plus new exhaust gasket and new springs oughta make it seal.

Either Friday or Saturday I'll have a status report on how hooking everything up is going.

Oh, Yaeger, where was I suppose to spray the starter fluid to check for any air leaks?
Spraying around the intake boot obviously, I thought there was somewhere else aswell.

Thanks fellas

yaegerb
06-02-2016, 06:33 PM
around the reed cage (where it bolts to the head) and around both bell housings of carbs will suffice. Do you have the equipment to do a pressure test by chance? Also a good course of action for that motor.

JacobMonster
06-02-2016, 09:56 PM
around the reed cage (where it bolts to the head) and around both bell housings of carbs will suffice. Do you have the equipment to do a pressure test by chance? Also a good course of action for that motor.
No, I dont.
Motor is strong, starts within 3 kicks.
I wouldnt expect it to have any leaks with as well as it runs and with as well as is appears to be sealed.
I can get a tester from Oreileys.
Just have to plug both intake and exhaust ports correct?

Side note, I bought this bike since my Dad is coming with me this year and is stealing my (technically his) 200X for the trip. Id prefer it not blowing up on me during TF.

ALSO, 32:1 decent spot for these bikes or shall I bump up the oil?

yaegerb
06-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Plug for exhaust only. 1-3/4 should work but measure before you go buy the expandable plug. Intake is a little more challenging. I use a piece of delrin BkM turned down so it would fit snug in my intake. Then I drilled a hole through the delrin and screwed in a dragons tooth fitting. All you have to do after that is run a line from the fitting to a pressure gauge and you are good to go. I can email you pics of mine if you want to see how I set it up.

averysdad
06-03-2016, 08:13 AM
I used a pipe I had laying around the house made up the difference with electrical tape 232349232350

$5 gage from lows and 232351

JacobMonster
06-03-2016, 10:44 AM
I can email you pics of mine if you want to see how I set it up.

Yeah, I'd appreciate that.
You should have my email, if not, text me and I'll give it to you

yaegerb
06-03-2016, 11:33 AM
yeah, PM me your email.

ironchop
06-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Side note, I bought this bike since my Dad is coming with me this year and is stealing my (technically his) 200X for the trip. Id prefer it not blowing up on me during TF.

Is it still running good and starting easy? Let me know if you need more help. You can bring it back down if you need to.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

JacobMonster
06-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Is it still running good and starting easy? Let me know if you need more help. You can bring it back down if you need to.

I have to bend the pipe this weekend and see.
But yes, it still started easy.
Doing fluid and fuel change tomorrow, bending the pipe, then checking for leaks.
Doug, how about you come down here for a change? [emoji14]
i need to show you the creek ride anyhow.

ironchop
06-03-2016, 02:08 PM
I will sometime. I got my trailer home and re-floored it last Sunday so we can haul all these wheelers.

BTW, I found the fuel tank for that 250X. I must've forgot to toss it in your truck last time you were down here.

JacobMonster
06-03-2016, 04:52 PM
I will sometime. I got my trailer home and re-floored it last Sunday so we can haul all these wheelers.

BTW, I found the fuel tank for that 250X. I must've forgot to toss it in your truck last time you were down here.

Awesome.
We have enough bikes down here we could put you on something.

You need that 250R running gosh darnit

JacobMonster
06-06-2016, 10:24 PM

Ok, update.
i have to look at the diagram for what mounts go where for the muffler.
its still bent a little outta wack, but is seating much better.

Confirmed no major air leaks using starting fluid.

Last concern, do these things generally sound fairly loud and rattly when reved? Simliar to how every 200X has the same valve tick?

This weekend its getting the oil and fuel changed and its first ride around the property

yeah, PM me your email.

yaegerb
06-06-2016, 11:32 PM
Did you get the pics?

The first gens sound a little noisy but nothing too serious. Is this the same motor you were replacing the crank on?