PDA

View Full Version : anyone use the plastic handguards??

Ddw350
01-31-2004, 12:57 AM
i was thinking of getting a set for my 350x.mainly for winter riding,id probably take them off in the spring.my hands[actually fingers] always seem to get cold.ive bought $75 gloves and they still get cold after awhile.i figure if i had the guards it would deflect the air around my hands....[those gloves are awesome though!]

J.D.
01-31-2004, 02:56 AM
I've been thinking of putting some on my Tri-Z. I know Dynofox did, maybe he can give us some insight? My reason is out in the desert where I live, when you're trail riding rocks get thrown all over the place and can hurt your hands real bad, with out without gloves on.

Dynofox
01-31-2004, 03:53 AM
Here is a pic of my 350x with modified 400ex moose hand guards installed. When I say modified I had to heat them up a little to re-shape them to fit, but now they look like they were made for the bike. I had a different set-up on my tri-z, looking back on it was the wiser choice. These guards were the acerbis mx-lights with the power madd atv uninversal mounts. You can use the acerbis atv mounts but they will cost a little more. I've attached pics of both. E-mail or pm me if you'd like me to explain any more. On a side note, the guards on my 350x protect my hands 100 times better than the ones on my old z, they were pretty much for looks. If you decide to go with aceribs guards go with the flag instead, I had this model on my snowmobile and they look great as well as protect well. (I included a pic of my sled to show the normal flag guard).

250rAL
01-31-2004, 10:59 AM
I had some Acerbis handguards years ago. They didn't seem to make any difference as far as keeping my hands warm and they didn't leave much room between the levers and the guards for my big snowmobile mittens. The first time I tipped it over on the ice, the one that hit the ground shattered into five pieces. They're more effective for protection from branches, rocks and butterflies. Did you ever get one of them between your fingers at high speed?

ATC crazy
01-31-2004, 11:43 AM
I just got some Moose handguards for my Foreman a couple weeks ago. They keep some cold air off your hands....but not completely.

And Al...I know what ya mean. I got a June-bug wedged between my knuckles at 50mph before :x :D

TimSr
01-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Anybody ever try the heated grips for winter riding? They run off of your lighting coil. Ive seen them in catalogs before, but dont know how well they work.

Triker250
01-31-2004, 01:07 PM
What I do in the winter if I'm going to do a lot of riding is get a jug and make some guards they keep the wind off your hands and they don't cost nothing if your going to take them off when the weather gets warmer they work just fine. It has to be a good jug milk jugs dont hold.

Wickedfinger
01-31-2004, 03:05 PM
Dynofox .. that Z is freaking gorgeous!. Depending on how long I own a ride, I eventually end up mounting hand guards of some type or another. There are a couple of reasons for this. In the winter, I usually ride with my high dollar Reichle ski racing gloves on - and Ive never been cold in them (-25* no problem) - but - the hand guards really do cut back on the wind and protect the gloves from getting ruined by salt spray, mud, briars or sticks and also keeps your controls a little bit more protected from freezing up with falling snow and such. In the warmer months, they really come in handy keeping the briars out of my knuckles and they deflect any roost from the guy in front of me. I've been hit on the hands by golfball sized bluestone gravel from guys 100's of feet ahead of me, and let me tell ya - it hurts even with armored riding gloves on.

Howdy
01-31-2004, 03:13 PM
Anybody ever try the heated grips for winter riding? They run off of your lighting coil. Ive seen them in catalogs before, but dont know how well they work.

A friend of mine got a set for Christmas years ago. He wore his normal gloves with them. he never complained about his hands being cold afterwards. But then again he don't ride if the weather is below 25 degrees. Myself, I couldn't see the $75 they wanted for them back then.
Howdy

Ddw350
02-01-2004, 01:14 AM
ive seen a few that will look pretty good,my neighbor has a set off a xr250 he said i could have but i havent fooled with them yet.thier white too,i,ll keep you posted when i get them[or if i get them] thanks for the info!