PDA

View Full Version : 250r pipe cleaning

averysdad
05-29-2016, 08:43 PM
What is the best way to clean the pipe and silencer and how is it done?

Tomorrow I'm going to clean my stock 2nd gen 250r pipe and silencer I have a small propane torch, cheep heat gun, air compressor, and a bone fire . The pipe I could just throw in a fire it's rusty anyway but the silencer has descent paint on it.

Or I could use the heat gun but I don't want to burn it up from leaving it on to long

Jmoozy27
05-29-2016, 09:47 PM
Clean rust or grime?

averysdad
05-29-2016, 10:13 PM
Clean Carbon and oil on the inside

nachop
05-29-2016, 10:23 PM
I too would like to know the answer to this. I saw a YouTube video of someone using a torch to run a flame inside the pipe then using compressed air to blow the carbon out and I have read about people filling the pipe using a mixture of lye and water, letting it sit, then flushing it out.

jeswinehart
05-29-2016, 10:29 PM
I have had the best luck with a hand held propane torch flaming into the outlet side of the muffler positioned vertically (outlet down ~ baffle removed).
Sort of awkward to get positioned but once done you can let it burn for the day (and/or all night). Let cool and blow the carbon out with compressed air ,,,,, never had to do to head pipe but same method should work.
You might hafta repaint,,,, small price to pay for the improved performance on a 2 stroke.

john

Jmoozy27
05-29-2016, 10:49 PM
I like diesel for cleaning sludge or soot. Put a quart in the pipe, plug and shake vigorously for 30 seconds and drain. Do so until the end product is clean enough for you.

fieldy
05-29-2016, 11:04 PM
I like diesel for cleaning sludge or soot. Put a quart in the pipe, plug and shake vigorously for 30 seconds and drain. Do so until the end product is clean enough for you.

I would probably try this route , only add a handful of gravel or bolts.

averysdad
05-29-2016, 11:30 PM
Ya I seen a lot of crap on you tube but you never know about you tube.

I Tried submerging in gas for 2 days didn't work.

I'll try the diesel on the silencer to save the paint, and the torch on the rusty pipe.

82 250r
05-30-2016, 12:01 AM
Propane torch works well, take your time and keep the kids out of the way. I have actually done it myself and it works.

averysdad
05-30-2016, 12:10 AM
How did you do it exactly? I don't have a real torch just a small propane torch.

jeswinehart
05-30-2016, 12:29 AM
How did you do it exactly? I don't have a real torch just a small propane torch.

Yep, just the small hand held 1 lb. torch Jody. How ever you need to fashion up so you are not holding it for hours on end. There really is no wrong way,,,,

82 250r
05-30-2016, 01:12 AM
I hung the pipe on a ladder with some bailing wire with the stinger up. then i started heating the pipe on the bottom and went very slowly all around it heating every inch red hot. Once in a while i'd blow it out with compressed air and continue.
It will smoke a ton and piss off the neighbors but when it stops smoking then it's clean.

I used a hand held propane torch and it was very slow so be patient. An oxy.acetylene setup would be faster but the propane works.