PDA

View Full Version : '04 CRF450R conversion?

pismorat
05-15-2016, 10:03 AM
So.........I have replaced my 2004 CRF450R with a 2013 CRF450R. In trying to sell my '04, I have come up short. I have seen all of these 450 conversions, but not sure if it has been done from a dirt bike. What are the steps needed? If I can't sell it, then I am very tempted to start hacking. I know I'll need new triple clamps and fix the rake, and something with the swing-arm. I'm not afraid of cutting. TIG welding, fabricating...

christph
05-15-2016, 10:36 PM
If you go the TPC route you don't need to hack or weld anything, just remove parts. I think most people start with a TRX 450R but I think you can start with a CRF too, you may just need to buy a few more parts. Here is their website: http://tpctrikes.com/

Dirtcrasher
05-15-2016, 11:33 PM
There's allot of guys on here with some great knowledge of converting that thing into to a trike.

Ya gotta dig around a little bit.

You have the tools and seem willing to fabricate your parts so your golden...

86T3
05-16-2016, 12:01 AM
If you go the TPC route you don't need to hack or weld anything, just remove parts. I think most people start with a TRX 450R but I think you can start with a CRF too, you may just need to buy a few more parts. Here is their website: http://tpctrikes.com/

That company converts quads, not dirt bikes. I don't think many people would recommend them either.

I haven't built a dirtbike conversion so I can't give you first hand knowledge, but I do own one and have studied lots of builds. Your best bet is to get your front end setup and on. Then you mock the frame so that you have the rake and trail that you are looking for. Copying a 250r is recomended. After that, you build your rear suspension to your mocked frame to keep the proper geometry. Then you build or modify a quad subframe to fit and keep your seat height as low as possible. I know a lot of people are using yfz rear linkage and swingarms, even on honda builds. Hopefully Derrick Adams or Jason Hall will chime in with some firsthand knowledge. You won't be disappointed with a 450 trike if you get one

DohcBikes
05-16-2016, 12:56 AM
If I am not mistaken, KASEY has also converted dirt bikes. His fab work is phenominal and his knowledge is deep.

86T3
05-16-2016, 01:41 PM
If I am not mistaken, KASEY has also converted dirt bikes. His fab work is phenominal and his knowledge is deep.

I don't know how I forgot about Richard (Kasey on this forum). I was just talking with him saturday night, shame on me.

Dirtcrasher
05-16-2016, 01:50 PM

He's found combinations that work great and bangs out more trikes than anyone I've read about.....

yaegerb
05-16-2016, 02:39 PM
And, when I am ready, my monies going to Kasey for a 450 conversion. I would actually like to get my product in this lifetime.

Dirtcrasher
05-16-2016, 10:44 PM
And, when I am ready, my monies going to Kasey for a 450 conversion. I would actually like to get my product in this lifetime.

And I guarantee you will!!