PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 85 250sx

MFW
05-13-2016, 01:38 PM
I'm looking to pick up my 1st Honda 250 sx. I have a 70, 125m and a 250es. The trike is a 1985 with original plastics in good shape with new tires. Runs well but has a dented gas tank. Also has a title. What is the average price on something like this? I'm unfamiliar with the SX market. I know the ES market is getting spendy. Any help and guidance would be awesome.

Thanks
MFW

booblinker
05-13-2016, 02:32 PM
From what I have found on CL the past few years of looking is running riding in decent shape are usually going for $1200+, but don't see them often, also not sure if the title makes it more sought after .

Trackburger
05-13-2016, 04:19 PM
I paid $1700 for mine... all original except front tire, fuel line to carb and I just changed front brake shoes. Has all paper work such as dealer folder, COA, Dealer pre inspections sheet, warrenty paper etc. Has original tool kit, tire pressure gauge and owners manual. There is no rust in the tank, everything works as it should and there is no broken plastic or tears in seat. Two Trikes in the same condition sold on ebay recently for over 3 grand. If its in good shape and in your budget and you feel its a good deal than get it.

Trackburger
05-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Just giving an example of what can be had in my area... some are in worse shape and the sellers are asking more... just know what your looking at. Also, some states require a title to register an ATV... so that may matter to some buyers. The more you have the better. but isnt going to increase price persay. now someone who needs a title may pay more to get one with a title tpo save them a hastle trying to get one down the line.

Like I said, do your resaerch ahead of time, know what you feel comfortable paying and look for one that fits the bill. Look at it in person test everything out. Do a cold start, hot start, shift through all the gears, does it idle good etc. If the seller tells you its a simple fix or just needs a carb cleaning call BS. Iif it was simple they should have fixed it. If not then they havent been taking care of the trike the whole time they have owned it and should be avoided. Test brakes elec start, reverse, kick start....EVERYTHING! This is where you get yor bargening power to knock the price down. Dont settle for someone elses junk unless the price reflects it.

MFW
05-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the advice. I love my big red and was looking for another when I ran across this one. I hear great things about the SX model. I was looking at the pictures the guy sent and it has a rear rack but it doesn't look like the others I've seen. I will know more when I go and test drive it and give it a good look over. I will do all of what you mentioned. Appreciate your advice.

MFW

SamT
05-13-2016, 06:57 PM
I'd say 10% over the 250es market for value.
I'd like to have one too. But they are scarce in my area and I'm poor. Back in the 80's people bought big reds to work with, so the Sx didn't have much use here. But there's lots of 200-250 big reds in/behind barns.

MFW
05-16-2016, 11:44 AM
I was looking to buy another Big Red when I stumbled across this 250sx. I am going to look at it and hopefully pick it up in a few weeks. Thanks for the information. I will be in Texas a few times this summer. I might have to find a big red down there.

Matt

Dirtcrasher
05-16-2016, 11:21 PM
IF you see an SX for sale here or there in your surrounding area, IMHO you're better off with an 86/87 250SX. If where I lived had the chance to snag an SX every few months, Try to get an 86/87. Otherwise, grab that one!

Honda knew there were water entry issues; Even a Service Bulletin was sent out to the purchasers. I believe if they sealed up the swinger better it was marked with a few "XXXX"'s.

The 85 is fine until something happens to the rubber boot, driveshaft or axle/brakes/swingarm. It's still a tough machine though.

In 86> The brakes seal themselves in an enclosed drum, on a rotating mass with brake shoes attached and an inner brake drum with a small seal, like wheel bearing sized seals. So the brake side on an 85 has a 6" huge drum unobtanium seal.
Versus a smaller wheel bearing type seal with enclosed brakes on the axles starting in 1986.The 1985 have the opposite I've seen a bunch over the years that water entry made the brake shoes fall up and jam the rear axle.
Some get sold incorrectly diagnosed with a bad rear end/tranny/clutch yet it's just brake shoes jammed in there, :lol:

The swingarm itself in 1986 is built differently and I believe much stronger, and superior water/mud sealing than the 85.

Both have have the same suspension both forwards and rear. I bent the hell out of my 85 and didn't have the shop then that I have now to repair and or improve on it. The colors changed, other changes like the "cold start fix kit" that the 85's needed in colder climates.

I've been out of the SX stuff for awhile, but still retain my 86 250SX as I know how much fun they are and I'm keeping mine!

Both have a problem with the centrifugal shoe clutch one way bearing; I believe that bearing lets you either kickstart it or push-botton start it. Then the shoe clutch rotates fast enough to start engaging the motor to the rear end. I mention it because it wears out and will slip with the kickstarter until it's replaced.

Easy stuff....