PDA

View Full Version : Reed stuffers

fieldy
05-01-2016, 11:23 PM
The 86 KXT'S still have the reed stuffers for velocity. I have removed the origional reed stops and installed Boyseen power reeds. Should i leave the plastic reed stuffers out or try and see if and where it helps with them installed? Anyone been through this before?

El Camexican
05-01-2016, 11:41 PM
I can't add much to this post other than to say I look forward to hearing from anyone who's tested this. I filled the sides of the intake tract of my bike with JB Weld and left only enough room for the reed block to fit in. I also filled all the voids around the reeds screws (back of the reeds). I figured as the piston rose I wanted all the suction focused on the reeds as directly as possible.

Unfortunately I made a lot of other changes at the same time, so I have no idea what worked and what didn't (dumb) but it does seem to run cleaner than it's unmodified twin particularly in the mid range and up top will all other things being the same (pipe, carb, PV setting).

This all said look at an 85 YZ 250 intake (huge) compared to a Tri-Z 250, then look at the tiny little reed block on a modern KTM 250 and consider it makes almost twice the power the Tri-Z engine does. I have no idea what works or why:lol:

John Tice
05-02-2016, 01:27 AM
The Boyesen reed company is probably the only people who can answer your question. I’d suspect that it’s the pipe tuning which would give you the ultimate results. A Dyno tuner may also have some good ideas.
JT

onformula1
05-02-2016, 01:57 AM
Keep the reed stuffer, if you don't it will have a ton of top end, but it will be tough to ride everywhere else, I have performed extensive research on reeds, intakes and boots.

OR give it a try and be surprised... :lol:

El Camexican
05-02-2016, 05:30 AM
OR give it a try and be surprised... :lol:

When it doubt, try it out!

fieldy
05-02-2016, 08:02 AM
I will use em, thanks dudes.