PDA

View Full Version : Starter issues -

daren1093251
04-11-2016, 06:27 PM
Ok, so after 8 months of storage (winter) i took out the trusty ol 1985 big red 250es and went to start her up using the starter solenoid bypass (with a screwdriver) my starter button doesn't work as its broken off. Anyways, at first it turned real nice but the bike woudnl't start as i forgot the gas valve to off, so i put it on and went to try and start it, bypassed the solenoid, the positive point on the starter sparked, and nothing happened. Even while bypassing the solenoid, nothing happens. Tried to manually add power to the starter with another battery (positive on positive right on the starter not through the bikes electronics) and starter turns really slow you hear the engine crank once, then it sounds like gear grinding, then cranks once, gear grinding so on and so forth. After a few hours, if i bypass the solenoid again, does the same thing starter positive sparks.

Did i blow my starter? The solenoid? Fuses?

Didn't want to go out and buy anything until i was sure.

Thanks.

AK47KID
04-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Did you take your starter out and look at it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jmoozy27
04-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Is your battery charged? How old is the battery?

AK47KID
04-11-2016, 07:09 PM
What did you do before you out it up for winter?

rustyhondas
04-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Does it pull with the rope fine ?

If it turns over fine with the rope , and the electric starter drags with a known good battery hot wired

Then it is starter time

AK47KID
04-11-2016, 08:10 PM
Does it pull with the rope fine ?

If it turns over fine with the rope , and the electric starter drags with a known good battery hot wired

Then it is starter time
I agree. Or if it's like my 225dx he got it too hot and the gasket melted and it making the starter gears bind

Thorpe
04-11-2016, 08:31 PM
BR250es doesn't have a rope, but a kick start.... The starters are prone to the brushes and the whole fiber insulator going to crap after this many years.... $50-60 will buy you a new starter on eBay, had one in my ES and SX and never had an issue....

daren1093251
04-12-2016, 05:55 AM
Before storage i did a normal clean up on the bike so it didn't sleep full of mud etc! I will take the starter out tonight and tell you guys how it looks. I had not done anything until i was certain.

The battery is still reading 13.3v and i tried it while the battery was on a booster to make sure. Might be the starter it's still the original.

Thanks gentleman i'll keep updating

big specht
04-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Sounds like brushes when out that's normal 25$ on eBay. We like to have extra laying around cause you never know when they are going to go

daren1093251
04-27-2016, 09:21 PM
Back at it - Ordered a new starter, still no go same issue. I'm thinking this is more an electrical issue now. Solenoid is changed, theirs power going to the solenoid. When I bypass the solenoid (i have no starter button, broken off) no power still goes to the starter. Checked all fuses again, all good. Took apart all the plugs all very clean, still sprayed some electrical cleaner to make sure. No go. Can't see any broken wires, anybody have an idea?

EDIT : Tested the new starter on my other 250es, works fine on that one so the starters not the problem.

Thanks

DohcBikes
04-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Has to be a bad ground. You arent getting a good connection from the negative side of the battery through the engine.

AK47KID
04-27-2016, 11:31 PM
Has to be a bad ground. You arent getting a good connection from the negative side of the battery through the engine.
I agree I've had the same issue before

daren1093251
04-28-2016, 06:22 AM
I agree I've had the same issue before

Thanks for the reply. Where should I start looking for the ground? I have 0 knowledge in electrical. I'm going to go through my wires tonight, but is there anything specific I should look out for? The only grounds I know I have are the one that plugs near the airbox on the frame (green wire i think) and obviously the ground battery.

Thanks everybody for all the input.

atc007
04-28-2016, 07:04 AM
You said same thing...is it still making "grinding " noises? If so, your one way bearing in your flywheel is shot which takes out your starter reduction gears. Inspect them. If everything sounds nice and smooth,no need for any of this. Bad ground or wiring issue.

DohcBikes
04-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Diagnosing electrical on the internet is like kissing through the phone.

atc007
04-28-2016, 08:48 AM
Agreed,and I assume the grinding was his old bad starter,but I'm not there :)

daren1093251
04-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Diagnosing electrical on the internet is like kissing through the phone.

Probably the best reply i've heard in a while thanks for the laugh.

I do agree though. Sometimes you get lucky though.