PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this 85' 250R?

Merge_88
04-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Just curious if anyone knows anything about this trike. It is for sale in northern Illinois. The seller claims he bought it in Wyoming about two years ago while working there. He said the previous owner had quite a few trikes. This owner really didn't know much about the trike otherwise. I thought someone may recognize it here and know some details of it's past. I'm looking to buy one but 5 hour drive one way to be disappointed doesn't sound like too much fun. Thank you.

atc300r
04-06-2016, 12:34 PM
That's a nice R. I see it has some 86 parts on it. Swingarm, rear axle, brake setup and shock at least. I would drive 5 hours one way to buy it. Its an R how could you be disappointed. J/k.

Merge_88
04-06-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm just much more comfortable when buying something that the owner knows quite a bit about the engine work, maintenance, etc. I think the owner saw it and just wanted it but maybe not quite the trike enthusiast. That was just the feeling I got from the call I made. I agree it looks nice.

JesseA420
04-06-2016, 01:02 PM
looks nice. just depends on the price point.

5 hour drive one way to be disappointed doesn't sound like too much fun.
sounds like a fun day trip to me :)

rustyhondas
04-06-2016, 08:59 PM
If you want a R that is one

It's not a used car ,it's a labor of love

There all a better deal than a 10,000$ 4 wheeler

Just get it and throw money at it for the rest of your life and don't save the receipts
Get something for the old lady , get something for the R and so on,steady pimpin.

It's a used hi performance off road machine,it's probably a piece of s hit ,but what's that got to do with
Anything.

Stingray
04-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Does that R have a stock length Durablue axle?

Merge_88
04-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Looks stock to me. Seller knew very little about the details of the trike.

nstyle73
04-07-2016, 08:13 AM
That's a high priced intake and pipe to slap on a stock motor, You might ask him if the cylinder has markings, which would definitely help sway the vote. While you are up that way, there is an alcohol R set up for 300ft for a good price right near the lake.

atc007
04-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Stock axle. Looks like a $1200-$1600 bike to me. Have to assume the engines been apart and counterbalancer bearings and all the good stuff was taken care of,but listen to it closely.

nstyle73
04-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Its not cherry by any means, but there isn't an R that actually runs in the MO-IL-IN area that is priced at less than 2K. I'm not saying they are worth it, I'm just saying if you really want one in this area, that isn't rednecked out for $1500, its a long wait. There are some bikes in KY that show up, and I'm also not saying there are not good buys out there, but today, 2-2.5K is what they are priced at. I have been passively looking for a local bike for a couple years and passed on a couple of the 1200-1600 bikes that weren't as nice as the one shown. Damaged cases are probably the biggest problem if its going to be a rider, the plastics if you want to restore it.

newby200x
04-07-2016, 12:00 PM
^^^Agree completely. The market around this area is scarce, You will never find one on craigslist for under $1500 and its a good day to find one below $2000.

keister
04-07-2016, 12:13 PM
I know a few things about it by looking at the pictures.
The motor is 1985, but it's mostly a 1986 machine - somewhat of a frankentrike at first glance.
It has '86 carb, gas cap, frame (I think), brakes.....right down to the aftermarket 86 ceet cover.
Has a chain slider, so the swingarm bolt might not be seized. Also has a case save, which is a plus.
The axle is stock.

Minor red flags:
It has been stripped of all head / tail lighting including the on/off, hi/lo, and engine kill switch.
The airbox is obviously missing and will need replaced (very important for trail riding, MX racing....)

You don't really say what you are willing to spend or what he's asking, so it is hard to say if it is a good deal or not.
What does he want for it? $1000 would be a great deal. $2000 would be overpriced IMO.
Somewhere in the $1200-$1400 range is where I'd put it provided it fires up and runs and shifts normally.

That's my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions and keisters, everybody has one and...........

Merge_88
04-07-2016, 12:40 PM
The guy asked $2800 and claimed he would take $2500. I'm really not interested at making the drive since he knows nothing about the internals of the engine and its history, but had some hope maybe someone here had owned it in its past life. Thanks to all who have responded!

newby200x
04-07-2016, 12:47 PM
This just popped up...is a great price for what I have seen recently, but it is all redneck'd up as nstyle put it. It's not one I would be chasing after.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/snw/5527806868.html