PDA

View Full Version : 85 350x wiseco 12.1 :1 piston

kylem1184
03-28-2016, 10:30 PM
So trike was running funny so naturally I rebuilt the carb and changed the air filter. (Rebuilt with stock sized jets) Only ran pump gas (89 octane) now the trike won't run at all I eliminated all the usual suspects. And finally just wanted to go for a full top end rebuild. Well I got the head off only to find it has a 12 to1 wiseco piston in it, so stock jets and pump gas Cleary a problem. So I'm putting it all back together and I have 2 questions first when putting back together how do i get my timing set without a timing light or the ability to see the indicator due to flat head bolt in the side of the case being frozen in. And second what sized jets do i need to buy to run right with this piston. And will 101 octane work or do I need to go 50/50 93 110 ok so I guess 3 questions229703229704

wonderboy
03-28-2016, 11:18 PM
You don't use a timing light. You do however need to view the timing mark through the hole in the side cover, so figure out how to remove that bolt. Get the manual. It is a free download. It isn't hard, but you need to pay attention to some details. The book will walk you through aligning everything so that the cam timing is correct.

Pay careful attention when installing the cylinder head cover. You use Hondabond sealant (or equivalent, do NOT use RTV gasket maker) between the head and the cylinder head cover. Check the manual since you have to be careful in the area around the cam bearings. If you get too much sealant too close to those areas, you will cause trouble. The book shows you exactly where to put it, and where not to put it.

Carb jetting over the internet is difficult at best. Treat any info you get here as a starting point, but be sure to read up on reading your spark plugs to know which way to go from there.

I think 101 octane is overkill. Premium pump gas would probably be ok. Mixing 50/50 race gas with premium would give you peace of mind. I don't think there is any need to go full race fuel with a 12:1 in an ATV. There are performance motorcycles out there at 12:1 from the factory that call for premium, nothing more. Run as low as you can without spark knock. If it were me, I'd start with premium (92 octane) and see how that runs.

oscarmayer
03-29-2016, 12:26 PM
if your running 12:1 a proper tune with super unleaded 93 octane should work fine. I have done that for years. some think you have to have 100+ but I have not seen a case for it in my needs. even under racing conditions and running 13.5:1 on some motors we only ran 97-100 octane not 111 or anything crazy.