PDA

View Full Version : 83 185s right rear bearing holder bolt spinning

sammiefish
03-25-2016, 07:54 AM
im trying to remove the right rear bearing holder bolt, its spinning, arrgghhh

is the nut contained in the brake drum area loose on this or welded?
maybe this is just stripped?

I guess I'd need to remove the axle to get in there?

any suggestions?

BarnBoy
03-25-2016, 10:14 AM
That nut is spot-welded on. If it spins, more than likely the weld broke.

It is in the brake drum area. To get at it, all you must do is remove the right wheel, brake drum cover, brake drum, and brake shoes. There is no need to remove the axle for this. On my 200M 2 of these nuts were loose/not welded on, so I tightened the bolts, flipped the bike over, and tack welded the nut to the bearing carrier. If you do this, make sure to the the ground clamp of the welder as close to the area you are welding in as possible. You don't want that electricity going through your bearings. I would also recommend a pipe over the axle and bolt threads to keep the spatter off, and the removal of all electrical parts, such as cdi, from the bike. Welding it is not hard to do, you just have to be a bit careful because of the tight tolerances.

sammiefish
03-25-2016, 11:23 AM
THANKS so much for your reply!!!

I just hope the drum comes off OK : )

BarnBoy
03-25-2016, 03:12 PM
THANKS so much for your reply!!!

I just hope the drum comes off OK : )

No problem. Hope you get it fixed. I think you might have trouble with the drum, unless its been off before. If not kept greased they like to rust/seize. And also, MAKE SURE YOU USE PLENTY OF GREASE AND A BIT OF ANTISEIZE ON THE SPLINES WHEN REASSEMBLING!!!! You will thank yourself next time you take it apart. The copper anti-seize is a bit better, but the silver stuff will do fine.

You might have to get a oxy-acetylene torch and puller to break the drum free. If you need ideas for making a puller, do a search on this forum, I think I recall some threads in which the guys made their own pullers to remove it. Making the puller is simple, but you will want heavy steel. I would think 9/16 minimum, 3/4 or even 7/8 is better. I don't believe there is a commercial puller made.

81ATC185S
03-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Yeah the nut is barely welded on from factory and is most likely broken off, I got one like that. Just run it down to your local welding shop on a slow day and they can probably lay a quick bead down for ya.