PDA

View Full Version : 250ES Shifter Does Not Return

Trimoto74
03-20-2016, 02:33 PM
I recently bought a 85' 250ES with a shifter issue. Another one of my awesome deals that is turning out to be not so awesome. The issue is that the shifter does not return on downshifts. So I did some searching through the forums and found like issues. I took the left side cover off and started poking. Everything was tight, no springs broken and no pins missing. I did find that the shifter bolt was pretty worn on the pin/dowel side of it. A recommendation from another thread "tri again" said to stick it in a drill and it was pretty wobbly. I ordered a new pin (on backorder of course). I got it today and reassembled everything. It seems my condition is still there. I still have the case off but shifting it by hand it is noticeably harder to return the shifter back up than it is down. I isolated the gearshift spindle by removing the gearshift arm. I can feel a lot of resistance when returning the shaft back to center from the down position. My first though is a bent shaft but I strait edged it and it looks ok. When inspecting the shaft I found some odd wear near the center of it. Anyone know what this could be? Also could my issue be in the reverse shift side of it. I've never had the other cover off before. Thanks for any help.229340229341

AK47KID
03-21-2016, 01:40 PM
You might have better help in world class help if this thread doesn't get any more responses.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wonderboy
03-22-2016, 08:05 AM
Feel that wear area carefully and see if the metal is raised. If it is, carefully file the raised metal until it is smooth. Maybe this is catching or hanging on something.

oscarmayer
03-22-2016, 11:58 AM
it looks like that is where it goes through the inside case half before the external case. I would file/sand it smooth and try again. if that fixes it, good chance some debris got past the inner oil seal and boogered it. would also loo at cleaning it and the inside with tons of carb cleaner. then assemble again. if you can get to it, replace that oil seal, but I think you have to pup the sub trans and outside case to get to it, so may be difficult.

Trimoto74
03-22-2016, 11:03 PM
I pulled the other side case to see what was going on in there. Now that the shaft is not engaged in the clutch lifter it moves free as can be. I moved the clutch lifter back and forth and it feels ok? On a side note I found the centrifugal clutch nut loose. I could move the clutch out about a 1/4". Dont think that would interfere with it? Could it have been a simple clutch adjustment issue? Who knows what the last guy did maybe he didnt line it up correctly. Well I'll probably clean everything and reassemble some time this week. Oh and tighten my loose nut with some loctite!

Dirtcrasher
03-22-2016, 11:41 PM
Test it without putting the case back on and just watching the shifter + do it manually while watching it.

oscarmayer
03-23-2016, 06:18 PM
you could have a bent shifter. i seen that before!

Trimoto74
03-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Well I think I have it figured out. I installed the clutch release lever in the case and tried to move it back and forth to lift the clutch release. Wouldn't you know, it moved great one direction but very hard the other. After a lot of head scratching and careful examination of the clutch lifting mech I held the clutch lever up and thought that doesn't look right. It's gotta be bent! I looked at the tip where the roller is and it was all worn down. The roller wouldn't even move. Here's my theory. I think someone reinstalled the cover and didn't get the clutch lever set in its groove correctly. They just jammed it on there and cranked the cover down. Then deadjusted the clutch until it kinda worked. It was just riding on that tip the whole time. I guess its the mechanic in me that always looks for the craigslist ad that says needs work! I'll update when its hopefully fixed!229765229766

Dirtcrasher
04-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Did you find another? I may have one from an ES bottom end on a shelf. If it's the right one, you can have it for shipping.....

Trimoto74
04-03-2016, 08:46 PM
Hey thanks but I actually found a whole clutch lifter set on eBay that night for $25. Got shipped from Rhode Island Thursday morning and was on my door step sat morning. Gotta love usps flat rate boxes. Anyways put the new lever in there and smooth as can be. Put it all back together today and shifts smoothly. Now on to other issues. Never ends until it's a turn key reliable machine for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk