PDA

View Full Version : ATC250ES with 350x forks

djm0242
03-13-2016, 09:15 PM
229002229003I started a new thread since I believe the other one was just too old for any comments or activity. Surely someone must be interested in these upgrades! So I was really frustrated about having to put these ity-bity wheels on the back of my bike. So I started rummaging through my stock of spare parts and found a 250sx front axle tube. It wasn't long before I had the front wheel off and was measuring to see how close it would be to fitting the 350x front end. It was great news to find that it fit with very little work. i already knew the bearings and seals would be the same. So I decided that I'd pursue this idea and began looking at compatible donors from other bikes. I ended up ordering an 82 200E front axle tube and had a friend cut off the drum brake mount which happens to be a round plate with three holes in it just like the 350x disc mount. The 200E tube also shares the same bearings and seals so I knew that the brake mount bracket would fit the 350x disc. Upon receiving the tube we found that the ID of the tube is indeed the same but the OD was just a tiny bit smaller. The steel is a smaller gauge. Never the less a few minutes of grinding and a little heat allowed us to fit the plate onto the 250sx tube. We did a test fit on the bike to dial in the clearances needed before making the final weld. Click image for larger version.
I ordered a 6" wide matching SS212 wheel, and an 8" wide 27" tall tire. The last modification was to cut down one of my 350x wheel spacers. Click image for larger version. So check out the results. It handles amazingly and all my wheels match now so I'm in business. I'm currently working on a setup for a rear disc brake. Hopefully I'll have that done soon!229004

big specht
03-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Keep us informed on the rear brake set up. Looking good so far.

djm0242
03-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Just curious, how much clearance do any of you have under your bike? I'm currently sitting at 12" to the peg mount at the frame.

djm0242
04-15-2016, 10:48 PM
http://youtu.be/_1G6FhlcISw

Got a few videos of the bike on my YouTube channel.