PDA

View Full Version : The Best Tire for a Hard Tail

El Camexican
03-11-2016, 10:15 PM
I've asked a similar question before and even bought what was recommended. However, before I pull the current set off I want to ask one more time.

Has any one tested Kenda Scorpion, Carlisle AT, or Duro tires against each other? These are 22/11/8 2 ply tires. I've tried all but the Duro's which are next to go on, but If any one has tried any two of these brands on the same trike and has a preference I'd appreciate hearing it.

I'm looking to run low pressure for a soft ride, but I also want the tires to grow at speed. Neither the Kenda's or the Carlisle's will balloon at speed and the Kenda's ride a lot stiffer than the Carlisle tires.

I guess I'm asking if it's worth the hassle to change the Carlisle's out for the Duros's. It would be something to get a set of the same Dunlop's that came on the trike, those tires did it all.

Jmoozy27
03-11-2016, 10:42 PM
I've tried the Duros, & carlisles. I like the Duros over the carlisles. You just cannot beat the price and reliability. Also Wanda's are similar in design and price and I like those too.

Chopsaw
03-11-2016, 10:56 PM
I put the Scorpions on the back of a 86 SX . Those things tore the crap out of everything . " Barked " on concrete Reminded me of the Detroit locker race car days . You didn't mention the Cheng-shin . I have those on the back of a 84 es and it rides nice . 2 ply knobby . I also have that on the front of my 85 SX . It grows at speed . I like it . The set I have on the Big Red clean out well . I think the Duro's are close to the same , not sure . I have a directional set of Duro's ( hard ply ) on my 85 es , they suck in mud if you stop . I can drive the same mud hole with the 84 red with knobbys stop . and pull right out .
Not sure if this helps you , but did you kill the F'n rat yet ?
Chop

El Camexican
03-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Sounds like you might be the guy to buy my Scorpions for cheap, will you be at TF?:lol:

Haven't seen a trace of the rat (s) for days. Weathers been bad.

onformula1
03-12-2016, 12:25 AM
Solve the issues and build a soft tail for it, we know you can fab a nice swing arm and I will send you the shock.

El Camexican
03-12-2016, 01:39 AM
Solve the issues and build a soft tail for it, we know you can fab a nice swing arm and I will send you the shock.

I just forgave you for talking me into upgrading the front suspension on that trike about 3 hours ago and now you want to talk me into doing the rear?!:lol: (major improvement by the way, I'll post it in a bit)

Seriously, there will be no rear suspension going on that trike. I'll buy a DX before I cut that frame up.

I guess the Duros are going on tomorrow. If they feel good that trike is 100% TF 2016 ready:Bounce

onformula1
03-12-2016, 01:51 AM
I just forgave you for talking me into upgrading the front suspension on that trike about 3 hours ago and now you want to talk me into doing the rear?!:lol: (major improvement by the way, I'll post it in a bit)

Seriously, there will be no rear suspension going on that trike. I'll buy a DX before I cut that frame up.

I guess the Duros are going on tomorrow. If they feel good that trike is 100% TF 2016 ready:Bounce

Sorry, Nico but I have trained my brain to do what I would do and sometimes I just pass it on to others. :lol:

P.S.- if you change your mind a WP KTM 105SX shock would be neato. HaHa, Hey Now!

Jmoozy27
03-12-2016, 01:55 AM
You won't be upset with the Duros, the rubber is soft, but reliable, and probably the closest thing to old school that is out there. I assume they are going on the ytm. I have the wooly booger type rears with the knobby on the front of my yamahauler. Mine are 25s though. No complaints.

El Camexican
03-12-2016, 02:15 AM
Sorry, Nico but I have trained my brain to do what I would do and sometimes I just pass it on to others. :lol:

P.S.- if you change your mind a WP KTM 105SX shock would be neato. HaHa, Hey Now!

No means no!:lol:

onformula1
03-12-2016, 02:32 AM
No means no!:lol:

Got it, my buddy tells me the same thing all the time.

He now has a Chevy S10 with a T-3 turbo, inter cooler, custom stainless header and complete stainless exhaust, custom intake and throttle body, ported and polished head. I won't go into the suspension because it can get boring, but the JAG IRS rear end and inboard brakes stop very well....Did I mention it lays body tip to tail and has a custom frame?

I have now learned my lesson.

El Camexican
03-12-2016, 02:39 AM
Got it, my buddy tells me the same thing all the time.

He now has a Chevy S10 with a T-3 turbo, inter cooler, custom stainless header and complete stainless exhaust, custom intake and throttle body, ported and polished head. I won't go into the suspension because it can get boring, but the JAG IRS rear end and inboard brakes stop very well....Did I mention it lays body tip to tail and has a custom frame?

I have now learned my lesson.

I can see that you and Bruce are going to get along just fine. Ask him about the time he modified his perfectly good snow toboggan and broke his girlfriends leg when it broke the sound barrier:lol: He'll call me a liar, but I have witnesses!

onformula1
03-12-2016, 02:44 AM
I can see that you and Bruce are going to get along just fine. Ask him about the time he modified his perfectly good snow toboggan and broke his girlfriends leg when it broke the sound barrier:lol: He'll call me a liar, but I have witnesses!

I will, but I find tower pad sailing the most fun. :lol:

110 atc
03-13-2016, 01:12 PM
I think if you want the softest ride on a hard tail the first choice should be the cheng shin dimple knobby. Super soft for a cushy ride. The only problem I have had with them is there is a lot of sidewall flex. I use 4-snows in the winter and scorpions in the summer.

81ATC185S
03-13-2016, 02:10 PM
In my personal experience the Duro HF240 Knobby (The ones with the little lines ontop of the lugs) is a great tire. I can carve 2 feet deep powder in 2nd gear in my 1983 ATC 185s. They are a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro great tire, minimal sidewall flex when going sideways, if you see me drive I am almost always taking every corner sideways. The tires have bead protectors moulded into the sidewalls, so you can bounce the side of the rims off rocks without worry. My only problem with them is they are 2 ply and they puncture a little easier then I would want to, as I just came back from a 4 hour ride on my 1983 ATC 185s with 2 flat tires. To be fair, a month ago I ran over a barbed wire trap someone had laid across the trail, and trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro the tires up pretty good. I think I ran over another atv trap a few days ago and that's why they bit the big one on me, I'm not even really mad, because the two that popped are ones I found at the garbage dump for the price of $0 dollars. I'm going to throw some tubes in them and I will be good to go.

86T3
03-14-2016, 12:14 AM
Getting ready for the roundy poundy haspin border ride? It promises to not just be bad for you kidneys, but your liver as well. Don't forget it falls on daisy duke thursday, so dress accordingly.

El Camexican
03-14-2016, 12:37 AM
a month ago I ran over a barbed wire trap someone had laid across the trail, and trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro the tires up pretty good. I think I ran over another atv trap a few days ago

I forgot about crap like that. Figured most of the azzholes that did those kinds of things had died a miserable death by now. Keep you head up out there!

El Camexican
03-14-2016, 12:39 AM
Getting ready for the roundy poundy haspin border ride? It promises to not just be bad for you kidneys, but your liver as well. Don't forget it falls on daisy duke thursday, so dress accordingly.

I wasn't planning on bringing a full wardrobe up there. I guess I'll have to ride at the back of the pack:cry:

El Camexican
03-14-2016, 12:47 AM
Got the Duros mounted yesterday, They look good and seem to have a bit of life to them, haven't rode it yet though. The Carlisle's were a fair bit wider. I did like the look of them, but I need some growth and bounce on that trike.

As far as Cheng Shins go I think we all know what those words translate to in English. I compromised my life to that brand far too many times when price dictated what I could put on my rims. God willing I'll never have to buy another one.

Ol Deuce
03-14-2016, 12:54 AM
I've asked a similar question before and even bought what was recommended. However, before I pull the current set off I want to ask one more time.

Has any one tested Kenda Scorpion, Carlisle AT, or Duro tires against each other? These are 22/11/8 2 ply tires. I've tried all but the Duro's which are next to go on, but If any one has tried any two of these brands on the same trike and has a preference I'd appreciate hearing it.

I'm looking to run low pressure for a soft ride, but I also want the tires to grow at speed. Neither the Kenda's or the Carlisle's will balloon at speed and the Kenda's ride a lot stiffer than the Carlisle tires.

I guess I'm asking if it's worth the hassle to change the Carlisle's out for the Duros's. It would be something to get a set of the same Dunlop's that came on the trike, those tires did it all.

I run both and the expence of a good tire ! you have a good one !!! and the Duro is about the same price !!:Bounce:Bounce:Bounce:Bounce:rolleyes:

El Camexican
03-14-2016, 01:28 AM
I run both and the expence of a good tire ! you have a good one !!! and the Duro is about the same price !!:Bounce:Bounce:Bounce:Bounce:rolleyes:

You're saying the Duro and the Carlisle are about the same for bounce and growth at speed?

81ATC185S
03-14-2016, 08:47 AM
The Carlisle Knobby 2 ply is a garbage tire. I have a full set of 25x12x9s and a set of rear 22x11x8. They ride like trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro, they fill with mud almost instantly, and take about 1/4 mile to clear the mud out of each lug (I'm dead serious). They are rock solid and you will never puncture them, and you can drive on the street for years and you wont wear them down any. One day I decided to do massive amounts of burnouts with my 22x11x8s and they don't looks any different than before. The carliles are great for sliding around corners though. Most Cheng Shin are good tires, but Duro is the way to go imo.

Ol Deuce
03-14-2016, 01:56 PM
If you can find them Ohtsu pro-wedge ,pro-wedge II and III were designed for the hardtails. The pro-wedge are for the Honda split rim. Pro-wedge II,III are for the one piece rim. The guys I drag race with used to run them on there high powered quads. The 4-snow is a close second.229034

Yes.!!:Bounce:cool:

Ol Deuce
03-14-2016, 01:57 PM
You're saying the Duro and the Carlisle are about the same for bounce and growth at speed?

Yes the 4ply tires !!! not the cheap 2 ply!!

81ATC185S
03-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Yeah if possible get the Duro 4 ply tires, the 2 ply are great and ride really nice but puncture easy. 2 of my tires are from a garbage dump, the other one is off of a buddies atv trailer.

rustyhondas
03-14-2016, 07:33 PM
22-11x8 mud lites are great on a 200

cr480r
03-17-2016, 02:40 AM
I agree with every single comment about duros, chengs, and carlisles.

Degoragon
03-18-2016, 04:24 PM
I run Cheng Shin Mud Busters 22x11x8 (now called Lumberjack), they are a Chevron/Knobbie combo, Thick chevron lugs with Knobby side biters. they're a great and very durable tire, about middling on ride though, and can bounce when hitting a big rock or exposed tree root at speed, but they go well over terrain without getting stuck , and I have yet to puncture them, and thats running over everything from thick weed stubble, cedar branches, barbed wire, etc. Sidewall flex is minimal, yet they still manage to slide with a little effort. They also allow my trike to be rather nimble, and it can turn in tighter than a quad! and thats without lifting the inner wheel!