PDA

View Full Version : Christmas ATC70 MINT with papers value

gimmeamidget
03-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Last night I picked up a MINT ( I know that means nothing without pics ) atc70 1983 Christmas blue with original docs. One owner and he has had it for 33 years. This is the cleanest Christmas 70 I have seen unrestored untouched mint. The real deal. I have seen a bunch of value questions on all kinds of trikes but how much realisticaly value on one of these. Tank is mint no rust and near perfect paint. Front fender looks new and the rears have only slight rubbing on outside edge where tires rubbed ever so slightly. I would say 9.5 out of 10 and I have looked at tons of pics of these and even Tmas bike may not be as clean as this one. I will try and post pics tonight, just looking for opinions.

HairyJR
03-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Nice score and values very but priceless to keep. Have 2 myself and don't ever plan to sell. Please do post pic's and a close up of the rear fender decal as I need to copy an original design to replace my missing decals.

"HJ" 228872 :beer

gimmeamidget
03-11-2016, 11:54 AM
No rear decal, I just ordered one from Peewee. May not put on because bike is still original but good to have.

HairyJR
03-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Sorry to hear no decal, I'm still looking for an original as I believe the aftermarket reprints are a little different. Still you have a great score.

"HJ" 228878 :beer

atc007
03-11-2016, 12:39 PM
At the risk of sounding like a real ass... No "mint" bike has complete decals missing. You have a nice score I'm sure. I will be watching,as I am truly puzzled!

gimmeamidget
03-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Yes I realize mint is a relative term. I will post pics after work. I am guessing the reason there are no original rear decals is they were the first to give out. Mint is probably not the best choice of words but of all the christmas 70's I have seen or seen pics of, this is the best untouched not "cleaned up" bike I have seen. Even seat is perfect. There is slight rust on exhaust, very minor tweaks on foot guards and rubs on rear fender and missing rear sticker but still very very clean. You are correct about "Mint" though I guess Mint would be one bought and sealed in glass with no fluids.

gimmeamidget
03-11-2016, 02:16 PM
I was a bit puzzled also as I thought all these were given away and this guy says he bought it. The date of manufacture on trike shows 11/82 but model 83. The certificate of origin shows the date 2/83 like the dealership signed lean release in february?

gimmeamidget
03-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Was it even possible to purchase a blue 70 in 83?

gimmeamidget
03-11-2016, 07:40 PM
22888622888722888822888922889022889122889222889322 8894228886

gimmeamidget
03-11-2016, 07:47 PM
I am mostly looking for opinions on value. I know it's worth what one will pay but I have many other atc70's and a few are 73 and 74 but I have never paid more than 300 bucks for one. When I saw this it was a good bit more but I don't see many real Christmas 70's and the condition impressed me. Runs flawless and quiet and shifts smooth.

El Camexican
03-11-2016, 07:50 PM
That thing is beautiful!

Mr. Clean
03-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Yes !! That is mint!!! Good thing it has papers or we would have to deport it.

gimmeamidget
03-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Came with certificate of origin and guy said he bought it? I didn't know you could purchase? I thought they were given away in a drawing each dealership held?

ironchop
03-11-2016, 10:02 PM
That's a sweet little 70. Nice score.

As for value its hard to say. I know that generation of 70 around here is a hot item and sell for $400-$800 with parts missing. Add to that, I would not want to ever sell that particular specimen. All that being said I don't see why someone wouldn't pay $1500 or more even. I'm probably underestimating its value.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

El Camexican
03-11-2016, 10:48 PM
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/builds-projects-diy/30232-honda-atc70-1985-1-85-a-2.html

Never heard of these before this thread. Seems they gave them away. Very cool!

ironchop
03-11-2016, 11:20 PM
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/builds-projects-diy/30232-honda-atc70-1985-1-85-a-2.html

Never heard of these before this thread. Seems they gave them away. Very cool!

The one in those photos has no rear sticker either

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

bkvette3
03-12-2016, 07:47 AM
That Xmas atc70 is beautiful - very nice score.

redsox
03-12-2016, 09:08 AM
hard to say from just pictures, but i don't think you'd have a problem sniffing 2 grand. you'd have to find the "gotta have it" guy, but they're out there. that thing is "mint"! congrats.

DohcBikes
03-12-2016, 10:12 AM
It's not even close to mint!!!!!!! Rust all over it!!!!!! WTF people!!!!!!Ohh the handlebars are bent too, how is that mint?!!!!

It's nice but cmon!

110 atc
03-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Very nice condition 70. Thanks for sharing. I also have two blue 70's and try to keep up with what the value may be. I'll probably never sell mine either. I have seen two different blue 70's go for more than 3 thousand on ebay but, Who knows if the money ever comes through.

gimmeamidget
03-12-2016, 11:07 AM
So does it hurt the value to "clean it up" like bead blasting and reprinting wheels and putting peewees decal on the rear fender?

gimmeamidget
03-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Dohc , I agree it's not "mint". I thought we had been through that. I do think given a few hours at mr cleans garage this thing would look brand new.

DohcBikes
03-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Hey no problem man i'm just a realist, and i care about market values!!!! When someone tags a rusty bike with bent bars as mint, it affects the market value, fractionally, theoretically, whatever!!

HOWEVER, I'd not touch it, it's still original, there is evidence here that suggests it may have never had a rear decal. I also think it is worth more than 1500, for the record.

And yes, Mr. Clean does fantastic restoration work!

Is there ANY indication that there was a rear decal? Adhesive? Outline? Fading? ANYTHING? I see no evidence whatsoever that there was a decal, and a trike in that condition, would still have that decal if there ever was one on it! If you see evidence in person that there was, then I digress.

El Camexican
03-12-2016, 12:54 PM
So does it hurt the value to "clean it up" like bead blasting and reprinting wheels and putting peewees decal on the rear fender?

I was planning to hit my 1895 Morgan dollars with the buffer wheel today, but as soon as I get done I'll answer your question.

110 atc
03-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Does anyone here wonder if the x-mas 70 was the lowest production number atc built? I wish there were some numbers on them.

barnett468
03-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Ok, if you want to sell it and get the most money you can for it you MUST detail it . That's all there is to it, however, you need to weigh your time against how much more the detailing will increase the value . imo, if you detail it, you can set a near record price for one of these whatever that price may be.

The key to that bike is the nice orig fenders and fork and tank paint and fairly nice engine finishes . I can guarantee you that very few, if any people will give a flyin f about it having original paint on the wheels or exhaust pipe or rear axle housing or brake drum because they are crappy looking or rusty, and I don't personally know anyone whom collects rust, however, there may be people that do.

Also, there will be very few, if any buyers that are experienced enough to tell if you repainted something on it or not, and very few would care anyway as long as it looks original.

If you decide to clean it up, I and several others here will gladly give you suggestions on how to do that, and many here have restored their bikes to beautiful condition . El Camexican has a killer Tri Z [yes Nico, I did see your photos].

One concern with doing that is that you do not want to use finishes that are too shiny or too nice looking because they will tend to stand out a little too much which can ruin the overall flow . In other words, you wouldn't want to paint the rear brake drum with super dark black paint that had a really high gloss . The colors/finishes should be "muted" a little.

Restos are one of the things I have done for many years and have used almost every color and brand of paint on the planet, so on my end, I can offer suggestions on ones that I think might best match that won't stand out too much . Anyone can make something super bright and shiny, but it's a bit of an art to make things all blend together when not all the pieces can look better than new . In other words, imo, you don't want to detail/restore it to a point where it has obviously been restored.

On the Concours cars I do, I even have to put runs in the engine compartments and create drips on the floor pans, then over spray them with body color just like Earl Scheib would . It seems like a crime to do that, but when a Concours BOSS 302 is bringing over $100,000.00 at Barrett Jackson, that's what needs to be done to get that kind of money.

The first thing I would do no matter what is try to remove the decals from the forks . In my experience, this can easily be done by heating them up . The safest way I have found to do this is to use a high power hair dryer and try it on low setting first . If this doesn't work, try it on high . Heat a section of one until it is very warm to the touch then try to peel it off as you continue to heat it . The blow dryer can also toast your fingers so you may have to heat then pull then heat then pull . If you try to pull too fast, the decal will break.

After they are removed, you can use cheap paint thinner to remove any left over glue, then use mild detergent to remove the paint thinner then wax the area.

gimmeamidget
03-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys for all replies and opinions. I have done a few restores myself and I was thinking of just cleaning everything up as well as can be. The only reason I was considering the wheels is the Honda silver cloud paint is still available and is the actual paint used and I will need to take rims apart to put the ohtsu tires on. I think most of the other stuff will polish nicely. The exhaust I may just leave since every paint job I have seen on pipes looks "restored" and I am trying to keep as original as possible. These is absolutely no sign of ever having a decal on the rear. No fade in plastic or residue and if it had one it must hav been removed early in its life.

gimmeamidget
03-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Oh and I do collect a bunch of atc' s and have no intentions of selling this. I was just curious as you guys opinions since we are all like minded people and I want to do my best to keep this bike in as good of condition as I can.

barnett468
03-12-2016, 09:27 PM
I have done a few restores myself and I was thinking of just cleaning everything up as well as can be.

I think most of the other stuff will polish nicely.

The exhaust I may just leave since every paint job I have seen on pipes looks "restored" and I am trying to keep as original as possible.

Unfortunately you can not polish paint that has rust or is thin or extremely faded or non existent as lots of the black on yours is.

Painting the pipe will not make it look restored as much as it will make it match the nice blue paint and engine more providing the right paint is used . Just don't use a very glossy one on it and you can even just lightly fog it on near the head pipe or leave that part unpainted so it looks like it has been run some and see how it looks.

I would use something like this on the exhaust . It's not very shiny and not very dark in color.

http://www.pilotautomotive.com/images/dc_sports/EX-1017B_3.jpg

or this

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachments/engine-mechanical-topics/70634d1254271448-diy-black-exhaust-dsc00898.jpg

I would say that this has too much sheen to it and is too dark.

http://www.berktechnology.com/content/products/73/images/BT1801-M-HPC%20%282%29.jpg

I seriously doubt that brake drum will "polish up".

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=228890&d=1457739537

gimmeamidget
03-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Ok I will clean what I can and paint what needs it. I just would like to stop the rust before it gets worse. Thanks for the advice. It is appreciated.

barnett468
03-12-2016, 09:51 PM
In case you are interested, the paint on the Harley pipes is VHT FLAME PROOF CERAMIC FLAT BLACK P/N SP102.

Here's another example

.............................http://i.imgur.com/Yv3P5RK.jpg

gimmeamidget
03-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Ok thanks I will give that a try. My 350x pipe needs some love also.

HairyJR
03-12-2016, 10:36 PM
..........The only reason I was considering the wheels is the Honda silver cloud paint is still available and is the actual paint used and I will need to take rims apart to put the ohtsu tires on.

I'm confused the above quote makes it sound like the trike didn't come with original ohtsu "Wamulass" tires. Can't tell in your pic's which tires are installed and a left side pic would be beneficial. Paint the wheels to stop the rust as no one would pay top dollar in a rusted condition, most buyers want something needing minimal repairs. Still a great score.

"HJ" 228962 :beer

gimmeamidget
03-12-2016, 10:51 PM
228964 I think they are cheng shin but I will look tomorrow.

barnett468
03-13-2016, 12:35 AM
Ok thanks I will give that a try. My 350x pipe needs some love also.

LOL, xlnt . I told ya I know my shiit . I can assure you that I have had to "under restore"/match parts on older restorations or orig cars etc a ZILLION times, and believe me, it took a while to get it down half way right . I deal with a lot of big dollar cars and the people I deal with are VERY picky, especially when they are considering whipping out $50,000.00 or so for a 40 year old car.

You probably already know this but just in case, obviously sand it lightly with fine paper like 400 grit and heat the paint and the part up before painting it then let it dry in a warm place . If you live where it is cold, it sucks trying to get things to look nice in the winter.

Hope it comes out how you like.

86T3
03-13-2016, 12:39 AM
My opinion (I've been wrong today already and it will probably happen again before the day is over) is that the most that is worth is that exact way it's sitting. I wouldn't touch anything. If you pull the stickers off the paint could be brighter underneath them. The way it is now, it's a "barn find" anything else you do will only take away from that, and I feel that's what people want. I can understand wanting to preserve it, but I feel putting it in a low humidity environment will stop the corrosion that is there. As for "mint", I dont even want to go there, but I can't help myself. Mint has a definition, it's not subjective. That said, you should be very proud of your new machine, it could be the closest to mint xmas 70 out there.

El Camexican
03-13-2016, 12:59 AM
If at the end of the day you do decide to leave it as is I would at least give all the metal a good wipe with some WD-40 to slow down any corrosion that already exists.

atc007
03-13-2016, 07:01 PM
That is a beautiful bike. I would adress the rust and polish the plastic,but not a lot more. It is your bike, clean her to your wants and don't worry about anything else. Very very nice find!

barnett468
03-14-2016, 03:04 AM
Mint is probably not the best choice of words but of all the christmas 70's I have seen or seen pics of, this is the best untouched not "cleaned up" bike I have seen.

http://www.vintagemotorsports.net/images/gallery/xmasblue_lg.jpg

DohcBikes
03-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, ^ Mint.

stoshu
03-14-2016, 12:37 PM
Definitely not mint

keister
03-14-2016, 12:39 PM

I would strongly advise against any bead blasting and especially against applying any paint.
What you own is a very very nice condition ORIGINAL machine.
Once that first bit of paint hits it, it immediately goes from original to a restore.
Nothing against restores, mind you, but it can only be an original once.
Restos are a dime a dozen compared to original (survivor) specimens.

You should polish / clean it up in the best way possible (scotch brite, SOS pads, etc)
Pro Tip: Mr Clean Magic Eraser + WD40 on fenders does wonders.
WD40 on all metal parts will make the oxidation and corrosion magically disappear.
Keeping it "wet" prevents further damage.

Applying a (very HIGH QUALITY) reproduction sticker is a toss up..... especially if there was never a sticker applied from the dealer.
Personally, I think I'd keep the sticker on the shelf - although original stickers may no longer exist.

In the end, you will be best served to shine up, protect, and preserve what you have.
Any "improvements" you are thinking of making will turn out to be quite the opposite when you look back in 10-20 years.

If you can't tell by now, I have some very strong opinions on this topic.
Congratulations on finding such an awesome 3-wheeler. It is quite an amazing little machine.
Best of luck with whatever you decide!!

gimmeamidget
03-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Keister I am becoming more and more convinced these never had the rear sticker from day one and the sticker was dreamed up later on because all the other atc 70's had them. I am going to clean it up and oil so no more rust. I will see how that turns out and then decide on touch up if any. Barnett that bike is perfect and if that is not a restore I am truly impressed. Must have been stored in a temperature and humidity controlled environment its whole life. I would love to see the back side to see if it has sticker.

Mr. Clean
03-14-2016, 09:29 PM
if that is not a restore.

It is restored.