PDA

View Full Version : ice riding

loudpipesavelives
12-04-2002, 10:55 PM
When installing ice studs, what what is the front/back ratio? I would think you would put more in the front so the trike doesnt just want to push trough the turns. How many are usually used? Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks

HemiChallenger71
12-04-2002, 11:51 PM
Last year I rode o nthe ice with soem blackwater tires, no studs and about 4 inces of snow. Things went well, and I could do donuts if I wanted. I don't think I'll stud my tires ever again on the ice. Teh front end might be a good choice, but I ride across roads to get to the ice, so I might as well forget it. If I were U I would leave it un studds. Any accidents in the snow with some decent snowfall (4in.+) and falls and flip, and rolls really wont hurt you at all. I have gone off machines several times on the Ice. Knowing how to fall, and the snow and sliding pretty much saves you. I think the Ice is one of the safes riding area if you ask me.

tecatecrazy
12-04-2002, 11:59 PM
not to mention if one of those rear studded tires gets ahold of your foot. ouch!! :?

loudpipesavelives
12-05-2002, 12:19 AM
Im only going to be riding on glare ice. If there was snow on it ill be riding my sled :-D . Im just looking for something to do until we get snow, becasue its cold enough that we have 5-6 inches of ice, but no snow. Ive seen pictures of trikes racing on ice and was just wondering what their setups are. Thanks for the previous input though.

Tri-Z_Jim
12-05-2002, 01:05 AM
I use sheetmetal screws in my tires.In my holeshots i put 6 screws in each knob and 4 or 5 in each knob on the front tire.If your riding on an oval track you want more screws/studs in the right tire than the left.I need to stud my blaster soon.Theres about 2 inches of ice on the lake by me.

ahamay
12-05-2002, 02:38 AM
Im unfamilar with ice studding tires. Do you screw them in from the inside or outside so the tip is showing of the head? Also wont it be hard for the tires to hold air with all the holes?

ChrisD
12-05-2002, 11:27 PM
If you just want to get better traction on the ice but don't want performance, then do the sheet metal screws. They are a cheap solution. However, if you want grip like you are riding on dirt, then get the cold cutters. They make a HUGE difference. We race our bikes and the competition gets fierce sometimes.....one of my friends broke his shoulder racing 2 winters ago.

Anyway, this is the ideal setup. Cheng Shin Knobby tires. 18x9:50x8 You can get them for $35 a piece if you have rims or $125 for two on rims. Then use the cold cutters (kold kutters gold?) . Don't bother getting the 20 inch Cheng Shins, it doesn't help you, get the 18 inch and gear out your bike. You can get varied lengths too so you don't puncture your tire.

I run a 250R and stud each knob with one screw for the rear tires. Then studed my front tire with 2 studs per knob on the middle three rows of knobs. You won't need more than that. It gets great hook like that.

Like I said, it depends on what you want it for. We compete, so my friends and I invested in the whole setup. If you ride a performance bike and want to get real traction, then do the above, but if you just want to put around on the ice, and don't want to waste the money, then do what Jim said.

I have a set of holeshots like Jim....6 sheet metal screws per knob, and the traction sucks. It's good for farting around so I put them on my 250sx, but can't use them on the R because the other bikes will run circles around me on the track.

I've been ice racing since the 80's, so I've tried it all and the Cheng Shins with good studs is the only way to go. Good Luck