PDA

View Full Version : Frame welding question (Setting advice)

RUNMEDOWN
03-10-2016, 02:03 PM
I will be notching a 200x frame soon to clear the starter on a 200e bottom end. I plan on adding a section of tubing over the entire down-tube and welding to the lower bracket and the entire length of the down-tube. While I have my mig out I am going to add some gussets. This is the first ATC frame I have welded on and I am worried about blow through, what setting should I be starting with? (Hobart Handler 140 - Running Flux core)

barnett468
03-10-2016, 03:53 PM
Do you not have gas?

Irregardless of the setting you use, you should do several practice welds on some scrap metal . You will likely have to play with the wire feed speed.

It's better/safer to use a low setting and weld slowly than it is to use a high one and weld quickly until you get the hang of it.

Here's the manual for yours . There is a welding setting chart on page 24 and 25 . The top two lines are the various settings for flux core . In your case, I would start with 2 power and 20 wire speed and go slow and adjust the wire speed only to match your welding speed.

Clean all metal with at least a wire brush before welding.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/om/0900/o925f_hob.pdf

RUNMEDOWN
05-02-2016, 04:01 PM
DOM downtube welded and a few gussets. Almost time to build. Didn't realize how bad of a welder I am. Thank God for grinders and flap wheels to clean up my mess