PDA

View Full Version : Dragged an A+ 70 out of the woodwork!

blackout08
02-29-2016, 12:30 AM
So I caught wind of this roller when I sold an 86R basket case last year. The planets finally aligned and I was able to go and look at it today. It's a little rough, but I couldn't be any happier about bringing home this amazing piece of history! It's got both tensioners, some exhaust setup, a foot brake (cable), and a headlight and guard. So of course the rear shock is blown out. And the rear is setup for a drum brake? I didn't do much of a look over this evening when I got home as I've put in 400 miles in the books in the last two days and I'm exhausted. So I just put it up for the night.
I'm definitely going to need help and advice on restoring this thing to it's former glory, as I have fairly limited knowledge of the A+ and pk suspension frames. As is, I can't ever see myself getting rid of this bike.
The first question I have is, should I have the original shock rebuilt, or should I find one more suited for an adult? (only 145lbs, lol)

Jmoozy27
02-29-2016, 01:38 AM
Nice find!! Lucky dog!!

Jwheeler
02-29-2016, 09:47 AM
Great score!!!!!!! You will have fun building that trike.:drool:

90nut
02-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Nice find! My pk 70 has a new pep shock with a 180 lb spring on it. Works great.

blackout08
02-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Thanks guys, I feel VERY blessed. I know there aren't a ton of them out there, and I'm just glad I can say I own one. As much as I love trikes, Ive got a soft spot for anything with history from the time period when trikes rules the land. I wasn't around then, so that kind of stuff fascinates me. Yesterday I got a chance to check out a 200x that was fully worked over by white brothers, it was just too cool.
90nut, do you have any more information on pep shock? I just checked out their site a bit, but I'm not sure exactly what I need here. As much work as I've done on trikes in the past, I know nothing about restoring or replacing shocks. Do I need to measure out length of mine, and such? I'm a newbie in this aspect so any details you'd be willing to share with me would be awesome. Also, I'd love to see that pk, do you have some posted somewhere?

90nut
02-29-2016, 12:41 PM
The shock was on it when I purchased it. Not sure on the exact details on it. There is a thread on page 2 I think about mine.

90nut
02-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Here's a pic of the shock.

Mr. Clean
02-29-2016, 08:30 PM
A+ exhaust, foot brake, nice score. A little rough but complete enough.

Great score.

torker
03-01-2016, 12:03 AM
Most of the important parts are present. That, and a little help from the guys on the boards should make for a very fun build.
Enjoy.

TORKER.

blackout08
03-03-2016, 02:52 AM
I just dropped the frame off at a welder today to have the engine mounts re-welded. They were only being held on by the swingarm pivot bolt. Decided to have the subframe gusseted while I was at it. It'll get a fresh powdercoat after its all said and done with, after I strip the old paint, of course. Since this build is going to be a rider, and not a museum bike, I was thinking about selling the a+ triples, forks, and axle bolt to upgrade to spanglers triples. Any input or suggestions would be nice. Do I need to keep the old bearing races from my current triples, or do the spangler triples come with everything needed to mount them to the frame? Also I know I've got to use 45mm forks, but since I don't know much about suspension components or doing fabrication, what are my options as far as usable forks go? Do I need to buy the spangler axle as well? The more information I could get on the spangler triples the better, I know quite a few people are using them. I would like to get the suspension figured out before I get too deep into this build.

Joseph Farrow
03-03-2016, 09:42 AM
Me personally I would be hard pressed to use anything other than the way it sets now. I like keeping them period correct but that's just me. It's your bike to make however you want. Either way it's going to be a Cool Ride! Keep us posted.

blackout08
03-03-2016, 01:11 PM
That's what my plan was originally, but there is alot of sag in the front, and I had a shop tell me there's not much to be done about having them built for a heavier rider. I've also had another a+ builder tell me the same thing. If I could figure out how to get a heavier preload on these I'd probably use them. The problem is the front and rear suspension I've got were made for children.