PDA

View Full Version : 82 185s carb help needed

dirtfan07
02-24-2016, 08:24 PM
I let is sit for a little too long with crap gas. Would run without the choke but spit and sputtered and wouldnt idle. Took it apart and cleaned everything. Figured I would put a carb kit in it while it was apart but the one I got from Moose wasnt even close to the same so I cleaned the original (I think??) parts and put it all back together. Starts right up but is idling WAY high; sounds its being held at about like quarter throttle. Five turns on the idle screw both ways has zero effect. Air screw is 2 turns out which is what it was when I tore it apart. What am I doing wrong?? Also, needle has clip in first groove but I didnt even mess with that. Ran good when I first got it a year ago. Thanks for any help

Chopsaw
02-24-2016, 09:54 PM
Sounds like you put the barrel in 180 out . I did it once on a 84 es , same carb or close . Take it back apart and make sure to line it up in the correct position . Should slide right in .

Chop

gimmeamidget
02-24-2016, 11:06 PM
Yup carb slide in 180 out. If you look at the slide you can see the little angle on the bottom where the idle adjust pushes against and the opposite side has groove that runs from bottom to top. Just pull your slide and half turn and put it back in and should fix it.

dirtfan07
02-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Thanks, I'll make sure that's right. Can anyone tell me what the position the clip should be on the needle and what changing it affects? Figured since I have it out now would be a good time to make any changes if needed. I ride at 0-1500ft and bike is bone stock.

gimmeamidget
02-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Factory setting is right in the middle, if you lower the clip it raises the needle and allows more fuel or richer and if you raise clip it lowers needle mor lean.

gimmeamidget
02-25-2016, 01:45 PM
Also make sure you have the clip that looks like an "M" it goes on top of slide after you put needle in and holds needle down. If this "M" clip is missing your needle moves freely up and down and can make it rev up and uneven idle.

dirtfan07
02-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Ok, I feel like a total dope but somehow the cable adjustment on the top of the carb was run all the way out. Not sure how that happened as I didnt touch it but I do have a 5yr old "helper" so might be one of his adjustments??? I moved needle to 2nd slot from the bottom. Gives a little puff of black smoke off idle. Too rich? Any ideas on what would be a good starting point for jetting? I have no idea if whats in there is stock. Thanks again for the help. I love this site