PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove stuck engine mount bolts?

n8r
02-19-2016, 10:47 PM
I have a friend who is putting a new motor in his 200s and is having trouble getting the two rear motor mount bolts removed. It seems they are stuck in place by either corrosion or electrolosis. They wont budge. We're soaking them with pb blaster and going to put a torch on the bolts tomorrow. Does anyone here know of any other tricks to get these bolts off incase the torch doesnt work? Thanks

El Camexican
02-20-2016, 01:06 AM
Can you spin them? Try turning them with an impact driver. If they spin have your buddy turn them while you tap the other end with a narrow drift till they come out. Just don't overdo the tapping or you could mushroom the end of the bolt and stick it for good.

350xtrike.rider
02-20-2016, 01:10 AM
Imma welder so my first reaction is burn it out lol

n8r
02-20-2016, 12:29 PM
Bolts wont spin even with an 1100ft lb impact on it. Were going to try torching the bolt then impacting with torch still on it. If that doesnt work I guess well cut it out

El Camexican
02-20-2016, 12:45 PM
Bolts wont spin even with an 1100ft lb impact on it. Were going to try torching the bolt then impacting with torch still on it. If that doesnt work I guess well cut it out

I would try this if it was mine:

Heat the cases around the bolt evenly with a heat gun. Then center a drift on the head of the bolt and beat on it. Same way as removing stuck cylinder studs. Then try the impact again, but try it both ways, sometimes that helps. Just be prepared to accept that it may break.

If that doesn't work you may just have to drill it out. Good luck:beer

mendoAu
02-20-2016, 03:23 PM
Don't forget to put the nuts on part way before beating on them. You can use a rubber mallot then without mushrooming the threads.

Daddio
02-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Don't forget to put the nuts on part way before beating on them. You can use a rubber mallot then without mushrooming the threads.

I have a lead hammer that works well for stuff like that.

wonderboy
02-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Here is what worked for me:

I had a motor mount bolt stuck in a 350X motor. The shank of the bolt had seized in the aluminum boss (corrosion). I used an impact to hit the bolt in both directions, tighten and loosen, for about 2-3 seconds at a time. I just kept repeating that, back and forth, for about a minute or two. Eventually, I could see the bolt rotate just a tiny bit. I'd spray with PB blaster and continue. Eventually, it just started turning a little more (back and forth) and eventually it completely freed up.

Once you get it out, use a wire bottle brush and scrub the hole out. When you re-install, use anti-seize on all the motor mount bolts. In fact, always use anti-seize on any bolt that installs through an aluminum boss or long metal sleeve (like a front axle spacer).

djm0242
02-20-2016, 09:16 PM
I agree all good stuff you should try. For me: combinations of hot then cold, torch for a minute or two, splash room temp water, it will evaporate quickly, spray with PB. Let sit. Hammer /drift. Heat, water, turn left, turn right. This has worked for me many times. If you have access to a good heat gun that maybe just as good as torch. Torch is hard to beat but gun may be safer in some cases.

El Camexican
02-20-2016, 10:11 PM
If you have access to a good heat gun that maybe just as good as torch. Torch is hard to beat but gun may be safer in some cases.

Yea, I'd use a torch too, but I don't like the idea of suggesting over the Internet to someone I don't know that they wave an open flame on aluminum near the fuel tank and carb of a vehicle. The site tells us how long someone has been a member and how many posts they've made, but not their IQ:lol:

Chopsaw
02-20-2016, 10:29 PM
Yea, I'd use a torch too, but I don't like the idea of suggesting over the Internet to someone I don't know that they wave an open flame on aluminum near the fuel tank and carb of a vehicle. The site tells us how long someone has been a member and how many posts they've made, but not their IQ:lol:

Well said . I think the same way .

onformula1
02-20-2016, 10:58 PM

I would post what I do, but after reading this...Not! :lol:

ZERO- disrespect to nr8! (I just don't know ya)