PDA

View Full Version : XR200R/200x 6 speed swap experience

f76
02-19-2016, 08:45 PM
After searching around for a bit I couldn't find much for people posting a finished ride report after swapping the xr 6 speed bottom end into a 1st gen 200x. I'm aware of the steps needed to perform the swap, I'm looking for opinions of anyone that has successfully done it and have ride time on it.
I was given an 82 xr200r with a stuck motor and general abused condition. I yanked the motor and took the top end off, which then the bottom end turns smoothly and goes through all the gears. The piston and cylinder weren't too bad, just stuck from sitting for a long time. The cam is shot, exhaust lobe was been rounded fairly well.

I'm considering putting my 200x top end on the xr200r bottom end, but am hesitant as I haven't really read much other than discussing how to do it. Would the 200x have enough power to really benefit from the 6th gear? I don't take my 200x for all out top speed sprints and I believe the top speed gain is only around 5 mph (thought I read that somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong) anyways?

If anyone has performed the swap and has ride time I would like to hear your opinions and thoughts.
Thanks!

And of course a picture of the poor thing. Upside down and too lazy to figure out how to flip it...
It has a plastic gas tank in good shape, minor cosmetic flaws on the exterior. Not sure if that's oem or not. If anyone wants parts off it, let me know.

RoscoW
02-19-2016, 09:49 PM
I did the trans swap into a 200X motor

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/152459-Why-can-t-I-just-leave-them-alone-another-full-build

Gear ratios for 123 are equal from one to the other, 6th gear is slightly faster on the XR than 5th in the X and really the difference is slightly closer ratios from 3rd up. I ran on 20" tires so I'm not sure what kind of top speed change happened. I never really got to ride the 5 spd as the kicker gears were gone so I don't have any side by side comparison. The only thing I can say is the close ratios of the 6 spd and 20" tires only made a great trail bike even better.

Ross..

YTZ drew
02-20-2016, 02:13 AM
I almost did one last year, still have all the needed parts. I chose not to for all the reasons stated above, and I don't regret it. I also found out through research that there are two different six-speed XR transmissions. The later one (not sure of the cutoff year) has identical first through fifth ratios as the 200X. The early six speed, which turned out to be the donor I had, was the same in second through fifth, but had a really low first, which I didn't like.

After riding my 200X with the stock trans in tight trails, open fields, and semi-fast cart paths, I still have no regrets. If I rode a lot of wide open area where top speed could be higher, maybe I'd like the sixth gear. The choice is up to you, just depends how you want to ride it. Lastly, don't forget that if you want to keep the 200X forward kicker, you'll be splitting that XR case anyways to swap the kickstart spindle (as well as your 200X if you don't have a donor spindle).

RoscoW
02-20-2016, 09:34 AM
I stand corrected, Here are the transmission ratios for both. It seems gears are identical with a lower 6th gear added to the XR. I can't remember where I found the other info on Ratios(could have possibly been XR200R info)

XR 200 gear ratio's

Primary reduction
3.333: 1

1st gear 2.769: 1
2nd 1.941: 1
3rd 1.450: 1
4th 1.130: 1
5th 0.923: 1
6th 0.785: 1

1983 - 85 ATC 200 X gear ratio's

Primary reduction
3.333: 1

1st 2.769: 1
2nd 1.941: 1
3rd 1.450: 1
4th 0.130: 1
5th 0.923: 1

Ross..

1979atc
02-20-2016, 12:31 PM
I have an 1988 xr 200 with the 200x 5 speed bottom end.

YTZ drew
02-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Like I've already mentioned, the XL200R was a five speed, and as it turns out, the XL185S has the same ratio five speed transmission.

What I haven't seen is mention of the XL185S and XL200S five speed.

The XL transmission has the same first gear ratio as the XR and ATC transmissions, but it's all different from there and fifth gear is actually 1% taller than the xr200's sixth. What that means is it should work really well with a more powerful engine that can handle the larger gear jumps and still be stronger than the six speed, while covering the overall ratios of the six speed.

I have an XL185 engine in my XR185. I can tell from experience that the wide ratio XL trans sucks in tight woods.

YTZ drew
02-23-2016, 11:59 PM
What final gearing are you using?
14/50. My gripe is that sometimes first is too low, but second is too high. The wide ratio trans just leaves me with a "hole" that is exacerbated by my choice of sprockets.

Regarding my 200X, I would never need the sixth gear that the XR200 offers, but I could probably live with the wide ratio XL trans. That actually might be a winner in the trike, as the small tires let it accelerate fairly well, and the ratios seem pretty close in the 200X.

Now, if we really want to derail a thread with lousy transmissions that will fit in Honda 200 engines, how about the super-close ratio CB125 trans? That ought to really suck big time!