PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250R ignition setup help

250r'en +TCB
02-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Hey guys!

So I am rebuilding my 85R and looking to maybe upgrade the OEM ignition. Just for background the engine has a 310 kit and will run on 100 octane Avgas which is leaded. And yes the dome was built for this fuel/altitude.

So I started looking at CDI's and realized that the Hot Shot Series from Rick Motorsport Electronics is for the 86-87 250r engines which obviously won't help. However, they do sell a stator that works with 85 to 89 250r engines.

So my question is what do I need to upgrade? The stator and CDI? Or does somebody else make a CDI for the 85 engine? Or do you have recommendations on another ignition system upgrade? I am pretty open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance guys!

bkm
02-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Stick with the oem ignition or upgrade to a cr250 ignition. Most aftermarket ignitions, especially cdi's, I've dealt with are sketchy at best. The CR ignition is the best ignition out there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

deathman53
02-19-2016, 07:54 PM
go for the cr250 setup. you can save yourself alot of money by buying the complete ignition off ebay and getting adapter plate from esr. You can use 01 cr250 or 02-07 cr250, you need different adapter plates for either of them. Keep in mind.....you will not have lights with it. Only way to have lights would be a aftermarket lighted stator and those can be hit or miss. You will need to make a mount for the coil to mount on, I used a piece of aluminium and bolted it to the head stay frame mounts. As for the cdi, I put that on top of the front side mounts for the tank and held it in there with a bungee cord.

250r'en +TCB
02-20-2016, 01:13 PM
hmmm okay so it seems the CR is the way to go.

So I will probably get the ESR adapter plate for the 02-07 models. When I am shopping for a CR ignition off ebay what pieces do I need? I am guessing the stator, flywheel, cdi, coil and wiring harness? I don't see any complete ignition systems on there now which is surprising?

Thanks for the advise guys!

deathman53
02-21-2016, 06:37 PM
first shop for a COMPLETE cr250 igntion....stator, cdi and coil. If you get a 01, get 01 adapter plate, if you get a later year, get a 02-07 plate.

rustyhondas
02-21-2016, 09:27 PM
I recommend getting a 86 harness

A 89 CDI from bdt
A OEM coil and plug wire and new rubber spark plug cap
And a fresh handle bar switch off eBay a new clone, works and looks great

That CR with its itty bitty fly wheel and no head light blows. Head lights are good

250r'en +TCB
02-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Yeah I can stand losing the headlight. Honestly now with LED technology if I really needed a light I could strap a battery operated LED on to the bike and bring extra batteries lol

Really strange that people don't list complete CR ignitions on ebay. I guess I will just have to keep my eyes out and maybe call salvage yards.

bkm
02-22-2016, 01:29 PM
What type of riding is this bike mainly use for?

250r'en +TCB
02-22-2016, 01:59 PM
bkm - My R is mainly built for riding on long strait RR beds and on the ice in the winter. Lot of open throttle in 4th, 5th and 6th for extended periods. Maybe one day the military will move me out west and then I will be on the dunes, one can dream!

bkm
02-22-2016, 03:29 PM
A CR ignition with the small flywheel is exactly what you need. If you were racing mx or tt, or even trail riding, I would still suggest a CR ignition, but with a flywheel weight to keep it from stalling in the corners.

deathman53
02-22-2016, 05:41 PM
When I first ran a cr ignition, given to me by the guy who built the motor....he rebuilt the motor, some hours later bolt that held in stator backed out and destroyed it stator. He gave me a cr ignition that he had on his 250r. The first time I rode the trike with it, I stalled it alot. I quickly got used to it in a few hours, now I have 2 250r's with cr ignitions, I rode one with a stock ignition and it kicked back, harder starting and didn't run near as good. Service honda sells the cr500 igntion that is digital and can power a 200w lamp. Several people on other forums has adapted that to work using esr 01 or ct adapter plate. The ct adapter plate is better than the esr plate, it is more adjustable and can be done so its less advanced that esr plate. Many say the esr plate is too advanced for anything not running race gas.

250r'en +TCB
02-22-2016, 06:11 PM
When I first ran a cr ignition, given to me by the guy who built the motor....he rebuilt the motor, some hours later bolt that held in stator backed out and destroyed it stator. He gave me a cr ignition that he had on his 250r. The first time I rode the trike with it, I stalled it alot. I quickly got used to it in a few hours, now I have 2 250r's with cr ignitions, I rode one with a stock ignition and it kicked back, harder starting and didn't run near as good. Service honda sells the cr500 igntion that is digital and can power a 200w lamp. Several people on other forums has adapted that to work using esr 01 or ct adapter plate. The ct adapter plate is better than the esr plate, it is more adjustable and can be done so its less advanced that esr plate. Many say the esr plate is too advanced for anything not running race gas.

Yeah big bucks for that CR500 ignition from Service Honda haha I am close to race gas with the avgas so maybe the ESR will work. But I am not opposed to using CT by any means. I just can't believe it is so hard to find complete 02-07 cr250r ignitions used on ebay or anywhere.

EDIT: Just called CT racing and they don't make them anymore.... ESR it is haha

onformula1
02-22-2016, 09:23 PM
A CR ignition with the small flywheel is exactly what you need. If you were racing mx or tt, or even trail riding, I would still suggest a CR ignition, but with a flywheel weight to keep it from stalling in the corners.

Hey, I heard that before. :lol:

250rRoostmaster
02-23-2016, 08:49 AM
Yeah big bucks for that CR500 ignition from Service Honda haha I am close to race gas with the avgas so maybe the ESR will work. But I am not opposed to using CT by any means. I just can't believe it is so hard to find complete 02-07 cr250r ignitions used on ebay or anywhere.

EDIT: Just called CT racing and they don't make them anymore.... ESR it is haha

It's been the go to upgrade for 10+ years. Sellers know this now and charge an arm and a leg for individual parts instead of selling the whole harness. I plan on just finding a old beat up 01' CR and buy the whole bike, take ignition and part the rest out.

250r'en +TCB
02-23-2016, 09:46 AM
It's been to go to upgrade for 10+ years. Sellers know this now and charge an arm and a leg for individual parts instead of selling the whole harness. I plan on just finding a old beat up 01' CR and buy the whole bike, take ignition and part the rest out.

Yeah I was beginning to fear exactly that.... :/

Anyone know the specifications in the 01 vs 02-07 CR ignition? Aside from different mounting which requires the different bracket obviously.

250r'en +TCB
02-23-2016, 03:13 PM
Alright how about this idea:

I buy a 1986 ATC250R wiring harness and then I can purchase the improved after market stator and CDI here: http://ricksmedealer.com/proddetail.php?prod=21-602H&pmc=ODZIb25BVEMyNTBS and here http://ricksmedealer.com/proddetail.php?prod=15-615&pmc=ODZIb25BVEMyNTBS I can buy from these guys at a discount and they are right in my hometown if I have any issues.

Not sure about the coil and rectifier yet.... And I guess I could lighten up the flywheel by buying aftermarket (ricky stator makes one) or swapping it to a CR version?

The_Steve_Man
02-23-2016, 09:23 PM
What are you trying to accomplish? There is nothing wrong with the oem setup. You could get a lighter flywheel but an aftermarket cdi is not an upgrade. There is a high percentage that doesn't work right.

A cr setup is nice but you will lose lights.

250r'en +TCB
02-25-2016, 01:49 PM
What are you trying to accomplish? There is nothing wrong with the oem setup. You could get a lighter flywheel but an aftermarket cdi is not an upgrade. There is a high percentage that doesn't work right.

A cr setup is nice but you will lose lights.

I can live without lights no problem.

But I am honestly thinking of switching to a Rick's stator system because that stator is 200 watts & you keep the headlight.

And a modern CDI box is no better than a 1985 one? I confess I am a bit ignorant to the facts on electrical, I guess I just find that hard to believe..... They claim "Hot Shot CDI box has a larger capacity & will produce a hotter spark; stock curve & stock rev limiter" and I am sure I could ask for data to back that up.

Are you saying the aftermarket CDI's are not reliable?

250rRoostmaster
02-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Yep unfortunately they are hit or miss. Buy used OEM CDI's.

3wheelrider
02-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Youve gotten nothing but good advice from the beginning you are seeming to ignore. Many here have been down this road & know from experience.
AS stated: stick with OEM components or you will have problems & waste your $$$. That "200 watt" stator is strictly for lighting so it does nothing for performance-the "Ricks" stator will fail in no time anyway. Aftermarket CDIs dont have a good record either & give problems. Aftermarket coils not gonna help you either. Many threads here on this subject!!!-But do as you wish....

250r'en +TCB
02-25-2016, 03:09 PM
I appreciate all the advice. Not looking to ignore anyone, just nice to get a multitude of opinions.

I guess they best option is just to shop around for a complete CR ignition. I guess eventually one will turn up.

3wheelrider
02-25-2016, 04:53 PM
I appreciate all the advice. Not looking to ignore anyone, just nice to get a multitude of opinions.

I guess they best option is just to shop around for a complete CR ignition. I guess eventually one will turn up.

Go for it -if you got the $$$ to spend on it. It wont be cheap as you know....
Some options to locate are: (besides ebay)- keep checking the classifieds/post a wanted ad here on this site or try the trx250r.net forum classifieds or call BDT for a new kit in stock-EDIT-
OoPs -left out ESR of course.....

Usmoneylover
02-26-2016, 12:06 AM
I've had good luck with my Ricky Stator 200w stator...there is a difference though between "Ricky Stator" and a "Ricks" stick with OEM cdi boxes as everyone else suggested.

3wheelrider
02-26-2016, 08:49 AM
I've had good luck with my Ricky Stator 200w stator...there is a difference though between "Ricky Stator" and a "Ricks" stick with OEM cdi boxes as everyone else suggested.

^^^^right- people ha had success with "Ricky" stator & not the "Ricks" - however it is of no benefit in tbis case as he is looking for a performance improvement not just a replacement. The 200 watt is for lighting only....

The_Steve_Man
02-26-2016, 09:31 AM
Go on the trx owners for life fb page. The cr ignitions pop up on there occasionally. Usually around $550 .

250r'en +TCB
02-26-2016, 10:12 AM
I work at a dealer and can buy a complete new 2007 CR stator & flywheel, wiring harness, CDI, coil, rectifier and cap for around $610....

Maybe I should just invest in the stator/flywheel assembly and wiring harness and get the other parts used off ebay as they are cheap. Tough decisions here lol

Thank you guys for all the help! I really can't believe aftermarket CDI's are that unreliable!? I would expect if you get some $20 china CDI off Ebay it should not surprises you if and when it craps out, but you'd think an $80 American made one would perform well if not better than OEM!

The_Steve_Man
02-26-2016, 01:43 PM
You would think after 30 yrs someone could make a reliable cdi. It goes to show how well Honda made them that will last that long.