PDA

View Full Version : Threaded valve stem question.

81ATC185S
02-11-2016, 02:24 AM
Do you tighten the nut on the valve stem on a inner tube? I've had 2 tires where the valve stem pulls out of the tube and I am wondering what I did wrong.

ps2fixer
02-11-2016, 03:14 AM
Only kind of valve stem I have seen that is threaded like you talk about isn't on tubes.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Tire-Valve-Stems-Bolt-In-Metal-Valve/_/R-NTH90416_0215279176

All the tubes I ran just had the valve stem stick out, but I did a google search and found this one that matches your description:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1417/23952/Kenda-ATV-Tubes

Since there are two nuts on it, I'd only assume one goes on the inside of the rim, and the other on the outside and tightened down.

shovelryder
02-11-2016, 08:57 AM
I use those on bikes,yes you tighten them......Ive never had a tube last at all on our old 90.......just eats them...... I think tubes move around too much in the atv tires?

f76
02-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Describe your process for putting a tube in a tire and airing it up.

I've run tubes in various atv tires and never had a problem unless it was my fault.

shovelryder
02-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Describe your process for putting a tube in a tire and airing it up.

I've run tubes in various atv tires and never had a problem unless it was my fault.I do bikes all the time without issue. Cant get my old 90 to keep a tube....always ripped at the valve stem....Like the tube is sliding around or something.

atc300r
02-11-2016, 11:30 AM
I put a tube with a regular style valve stem in one of my 85 250r wheels . It has held up fine for years. I put a small hose clamp on the valve stem to hold it.

f76
02-11-2016, 11:41 AM
After you air up the tube and set the beads, do you leave it like that or let the air out of the tube and then refill to desired pressure? A tube shouldn't be "sliding around" inside the tire once air'd up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shovelryder
02-11-2016, 11:50 AM
I air up to seat and then let air out and bring back up to bout 8lbs......I do it the same as I do my motorcycles. It never has punctures, just ripping at the base of the stem.

djm0242
02-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Can you put a washer before the nut on the inside of the rim, then push through and put the second nut on from outside?

81ATC185S
02-11-2016, 05:52 PM
I was talking to a guy at a tire shop and he said you take both nuts off but leave the angled washer on.

Dirtcrasher
02-11-2016, 06:33 PM
They tear because the tire spins on the rim and our air pressure is so low.

One of the best mechanics I met told me to leave the nut near the top and loose. When you see it angle over, empty the air and straighten it.

Tubes are useless.......

ps2fixer
02-11-2016, 08:16 PM
They tear because the tire spins on the rim and our air pressure is so low.

One of the best mechanics I met told me to leave the nut near the top and loose. When you see it angle over, empty the air and straighten it.

Tubes are useless.......

Awe you beat me to it, but completely agree. If the tire is old or has been ran flat and slipped enough to eat away at the bead, it would slip even after aired up. About the only fix is new tires or over inflate to the point they don't slip any more.

djm0242
02-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Agree on tire pressure- you are gonna have to run more than 8. If the tire is cracked on the outside then it's cracked on the inside and the tube could be getting pinched or spun. The way I do tubes is the washer then a nut then thru the rim then the second nut. Fill the tube till you have no sag in the side wall of the tire I'd go till its moderately hard.

El Camexican
02-11-2016, 11:01 PM
When I was putting my YTM together I wanted to use the tires it came with, but the beads were mangled, so I bought tubes. The first set tore at the stem idling down the street, so I ordered $uper heavy duty tubes that cost more than half a new tire. They lasted about 10 seconds longer, so I bought new tires. I swear we used tubes without problems back in the day. I wonder if the tubes were better reinforced back then for low pressure tires??

barnett468
02-11-2016, 11:26 PM
They make standard and heavy duty [thicker] tubes for many apps . . The heavy duty ones cost more but are far less likely to do that . . I used heavy duty tubes on all my bikes when I raced Motocross and Desert to reduce the chance of the valve stem pulling out of the tube . . I also did not install a nut on the outside of the bikes that had tires slip on the rims . . This greatly reduced the force on the valve stem, and once the tire had slipped far enough, I would simply let the air out then rotate it so the stem was pointing slightly forward of 90 degrees to the rim opposite of the direction to tire would slip in to allow for a little more tire slip before I had to re-position the tire.

In addition to using a heavy duty tube if you can get one, you can try an old school racers trick of putting baby powder on the inside of the tire and on the tube . . This reduces the pulling forces the tire has on the tube because it allows the tube to slip more freely inside the tire . . You could also try not using the nut on the valve stem.

f76
02-12-2016, 06:38 PM

In addition to using a heavy duty tube if you can get one, you can try an old school racers trick of putting baby powder on the inside of the tire and on the tube . . This reduces the pulling forces the tire has on the tube because it allows the tube to slip more freely inside the tire . . You could also try not using the nut on the valve stem.

I always thought the baby powder "trick" was standard knowledge when installing tubes.

barnett468
02-12-2016, 07:59 PM
I always thought the baby powder "trick" was standard knowledge when installing tubes.

I don't know why you would think that since the last time I bought a tube, there were no instructions with it saying to do that, but perhaps they include them now.

81ATC185S
02-12-2016, 08:17 PM
I don't know why you would think that since the last time I bought a tube, there were no instructions with it saying to do that, but perhaps they include them now.

Nope, says nothing of the sort of the poorly translated instructions.

f76
02-12-2016, 08:28 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to infer I learned that from the tube instructions. Worked in a auto shop in high school and before that doing tires on the farm, we always used baby powder on the tubes. I just found it interesting that old school racers used to do that as well when here I thought it was a common practice for tube installation.
Insert "the more you know star" picture here.

barnett468
02-12-2016, 09:48 PM

Nope, says nothing of the sort of the poorly translated instructions.

Perhaps if we could read Chinese [or Korean] the instructions might be more helpful . http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/thumbsup.gif

請從您的管箱中刪除。接下來請您從您的寶寶對新橡膠的柔軟度和慢動作外擦了粉。然後,你最後請插入新的橡膠 從嬰兒粉,然後是沉重的打擊有了直到你的橡膠充氣隨著堅定性取悅你量的空氣。

....WTF?

http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/l/laughing/graphics-laughing-867787.gif

ps2fixer
02-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Not sure where that chinese came from but here is the translation....

https://i.gyazo.com/b03200fcd7d4c72f77bec3e8fb6f7cf7.png
https://gyazo.com/b03200fcd7d4c72f77bec3e8fb6f7cf7

barnett468
02-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Hey Beav....if we got us one of them tubes do ya think we could get some chicks to "slow motion of the powder outside the rub" it for us?

.........................http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbz4l2YXWr1qgcra2o1_500.gif

ps2fixer
02-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Lol! I didn't think there would ever be a beavis and butthead reference on this site! But yea... that translation reminded so much of it, just didn't think anyone would get the reference :D.

"Huh huh he said firmness"

"Heh heh yea and rubber"

I can predict this thread has no where to go but down hill now lol.