PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing ALT suzuki 125 carb

sledcrazyinCT
01-30-2016, 10:58 PM
Friend has me helping him so ordered a shindy carb kit we installed ran it the first day drove fine no leaks. Next week start it again and gas is pouring out the drain hose on bottom of fuel bowl but still running OK.

Readjusted float height, reinstalled yet still pisses gas. Took it apart again today and saw a fleck of dirt in needle valve assembly hoped that was the culprit but no dice. Damn thing starts first pull just dumps fuel.

This is the first time messing with this style carb so if anyone has any suggestions on something I may have overlooked please let me know.

shortline10
01-31-2016, 04:13 AM
Make sure the float isn't cracked

atc007
01-31-2016, 09:35 AM
Yep,check the floats, blow out w compressed air to clean. If it does it again, replace the inlet needle and seat,which I am 95% is your problem. But it could be either on the 3.

YTZ drew
01-31-2016, 09:56 AM
Is it a plastic, brass, or black foam (nitrophyl) float? The brass ones develop pinholes and sink. If the float is OK, double check the needle and seat. I usually test them by trying to blow through a hose attached to the fuel inlet while holding the carb inverted. If the seat looks a little rough and is pressed in, you might be able to polish the surface lightly using a q- tip in a drill and some gritty toothpaste. The needle can be polished by gently chucking it in a drill and running it lightly against a scotchbrite pad.

sledcrazyinCT
01-31-2016, 10:17 AM
Thanks guys but aside from the brass float which has no pin holes the Shindy kit came with new parts, so needle and seat are new.

YTZ This Mikuni feeds fuel from the float bowl so I attempted to check that the needle is seated with the bowl off but not sure how I can determine if carb will leak unless I mount it to engine and attempt to run it

I do not really want to reinstall old needle and seat but may try this next as it did run without leaking prior to installing carb kit

ps2fixer
02-01-2016, 12:29 AM
I'm not an expert on these machines, but is it like the Suzuki quads, where the gas tank is under the rear fenders/seat area? If so it will have some sort of vacuum pump, maybe check that location and make sure it is OEM? Maybe someone swapped it out and put an over sized one on which is causing too much pressure? I don't really know much about that kind of setup, I just know the Tri-Z had that kind of setup, and the Suzuki 125 quad I have.

hawaiirider
02-01-2016, 12:30 PM
im the zuki guy here, these carbs are problematic if they sit, im changing my line over to a standard 20-22mm roundslide and putting a primer bulb to the carb, problem solved $50 per carb new shipped on ebay. mikuni 20mm roundlslide carb

sledcrazyinCT
02-01-2016, 12:40 PM
im the zuki guy here, these carbs are problematic if they sit, im changing my line over to a standard 20-22mm roundslide and putting a primer bulb to the carb, problem solved $50 per carb new shipped on ebay. mikuni 20mm roundlslide carb

Would you happen to have a link to this replacement carb? Thanks

hawaiirider
02-01-2016, 02:28 PM
I don't right now just type in 20mm mikuni roundslide itll pull a ton of them up, youll have to prime it will a fuel bulb from napa or ace, once its primed it holds for good until you pull the line off the carb
its just a better choice the stock zuki carbs have openings in the choke that clog and even chem dip cant get too from my experience.

from what you said id bet its your float though

sledcrazyinCT
02-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Make sure the float isn't cracked

This ended up being the problem when I took carb apart again today. Both sides of float had filled up with gas. Funny the float didn't sink in my ultrasonic cleaner when I first installed the carb kit.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.