PDA

View Full Version : Field Find 86 350X

knappyfeet
01-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Purchased 3 Yamaha YZ's from nice family for $200 and this 86 350X. It's been left out for awhile so I power washed all the crud off. No sticking valves and it seems to have compression. This might be a parts machine as they couldn't find the title and the frame is bent.........how bad I don't know yet. Tires seem fine. I over inflated them just a tick to give them some shape. There seems to be a lot of usable parts.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/knappyfeet/20160129_151721_zpsuejw3pkn.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/knappyfeet/media/20160129_151721_zpsuejw3pkn.jpg.html)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/knappyfeet/20160129_151730_zpsr2vilrzc.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/knappyfeet/media/20160129_151730_zpsr2vilrzc.jpg.html)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/knappyfeet/20160116_153833_zpsgtap3hre.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/knappyfeet/media/20160116_153833_zpsgtap3hre.jpg.html)

oldskool83
01-30-2016, 03:22 PM
you got a freaking deal...that's $2000 on this side of the coast all day long for all that if not more not running yet.

atcmatt
01-30-2016, 04:41 PM
Can I put dibs on the hub extenders and outside toolbox mount bracket if it is there? Sweet score!

ps2fixer
01-30-2016, 04:47 PM
How complete is the 350x? There isn't too much that goes wrong with them, as long as it is more or less complete.

Don't know much about the Yamaha's, but if you end up parting them out, I might be interested in the worst shape harness (assuming the layout/shape is intact). I'd be just using it to build a template.

knappyfeet
01-30-2016, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys for the imput. I have found over the years Honda engines are very resilient and very forgiving. I'm fairly sure with the typical "love" this will fire to life and run like the dickens. I want to try to get it running and free up the brakes a little.

The yz125 runs and the wide ratio yz was purchased new by the owner and needs a little love as well to get up and running. The other yz250 might end up being parted out and selected for some parts. It's the one pictured below.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/knappyfeet/20160116_153851_zpsnokcrsrr.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/knappyfeet/media/20160116_153851_zpsnokcrsrr.jpg.html)

ps2fixer
01-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Ahh you was posting photos, mozilla picked up photo bucket as an attack site (like a phishing site) for some reason.

Anyway, that 350x is in really nice shape, shroud plastic, maybe a replacement rear, a seat cover, and of course get it running and that machine is worth $1000+ easy if there are no major problems. They go for around $1500-2500 in that shape with the "repairs" I mentioned.

Oh notice the gas tank was missing it's cap, pretty sure it is a clark tank, you can get a new gas cap from them yet, I think it was around $14 when I had to order mine (my gasket was missing). Front part of the tank infront of the fill tube it should say clark.

oldskool83
01-30-2016, 10:15 PM
the plastics tank on the 350x is worth more then you paid for all of that crap. Man you guys have clean bikes out there...my 1 ride redone bikes look worse then that.

350xtrike.rider
01-30-2016, 11:51 PM
You better not part that 350x out! That motor has low hours on it, you can tell by the amount of paint left on the side of the engine case! If you dont want to restore it sell it to someone that will cuz like @oldschool83 said, the ripped up plastics is worth more then you spent on all the bikes.

knappyfeet
01-31-2016, 12:18 AM
Ahh you was posting photos, mozilla picked up photo bucket as an attack site (like a phishing site) for some reason.

Anyway, that 350x is in really nice shape, shroud plastic, maybe a replacement rear, a seat cover, and of course get it running and that machine is worth $1000+ easy if there are no major problems. They go for around $1500-2500 in that shape with the "repairs" I mentioned.

Oh notice the gas tank was missing it's cap, pretty sure it is a clark tank, you can get a new gas cap from them yet, I think it was around $14 when I had to order mine (my gasket was missing). Front part of the tank infront of the fill tube it should say clark.

You have a good eye ps2............ It's a Clark tank. What's more is that i don't think gas has ever been put in it before. There's no real evidence inside. It's a little hard to tell due to the leaves but when you blow things around......it looks like a new tank.

My guess is is that it was flipped....someone got hurt or spooked.....then parked there and forgotten. Maybe someone came by to do some cursory work...a new plastic tank cause the original was damaged. Why the broken shroud was put back on I don't know.

knappyfeet
01-31-2016, 12:26 AM
You better not part that 350x out! That motor has low hours on it, you can tell by the amount of paint left on the side of the engine case! If you dont want to restore it sell it to someone that will cuz like @oldschool83 said, the ripped up plastics is worth more then you spent on all the bikes.

Yea oldschool is correct. And you correct. That there is little wear on the engine cases.....usually a sign of not a lot of use. And of course the Pro Vectors P/V's are original and don't look all that worn as well.

The only reason why I was flirting with the parting out was really the frame. Cause now that I've done some cursory investigating I feel it will run woth little effort. I'm going to look more into the frame situation in the near future. Then there's the axle which all near certainty is probably bent....again not sure.

thestud25
01-31-2016, 01:16 AM
If you part I need the fenders for my 86. Please message me.

Birddog85
01-31-2016, 01:43 AM
Wow! Please don't part that 350 out.
There is one near me with an asking price of $1700 that doesn't look that good.

onformula1
01-31-2016, 03:25 AM
It looks like you need to find a Tri-Z roller, project!

knappyfeet
01-31-2016, 01:30 PM
It looks like you need to find a Tri-Z roller, project!

You read my mind

knappyfeet
02-01-2016, 06:43 PM
It's a little difficult to get the full scope of how it might be bent.....the frame. Based of these pics it appears to be limited to the end of the subframe. Everything else seems straight and the front end looks straight. I guess there could be a slight shift elsewhere but the frame would have to be jiged for a better examination.

ps2fixer
02-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Yea looks just like the back part of the frame, right around the spot the seat goes in and back on the left side is pushed down a bit. Shouldn't really effect anything but visuals, could bend the grab bar the opposite way to make it visually look better even though it is still bent. Personally I wouldn't care, but I like riding more than looks, and it looks damn good to me lol.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to rose bud the area where the bend appears to start and bend it back up. Would probably require repainting the frame though. Could cold bend it, but it probably wouldn't turn out as good.

General rule of thumb for me on machines like that is to check/replace fluids, check spark plug, and get the engine running and see what you have exactly. If it runs good to great, spend the money to fix it, if it runs poorly, then you have to add rebuilding/replacing the engine on top of any other repair. If part machines are common in your area, it might be best to make it a rider till you can get a replacement frame. However it is your machine, so do as you will :).

If you do part it though, I want the exhaust =).

knappyfeet
02-01-2016, 11:55 PM
General rule of thumb for me on machines like that is to check/replace fluids, check spark plug, and get the engine running and see what you have exactly.

I'm with you on that.

I checked for spark...good. It had oil and looked like it was just changed ...........but it hasn't been for 6 years. Didn't do anything else but wanted to hear if it would give me any hint of life. Pulled plug off and put some oil in cylinder and kicked it slowly a few times to kinda get it spread around. Sprayed WD40. Then put the plug back on and on the second kick.......bang..bang..bang.. about 8 of them. All this with an almost for sure plugged carb, no gas tank, etc.

It just testified as to the fact that these engines are very forgiving. Just wanted a little bit of hope that this will be a runner before I go to do any more to it

knappyfeet
02-02-2016, 07:53 PM
Just a little more work. Air filter looks surprisingly good for being left in the field since around 2009.

One darn bolt snapped when I was unscrewing it off. The other I needed to grind off as the head was so bad I honestly don't know how it was screwed on. I've since removed the remaining of the grounded one but this other will be challenging. Any tricks for removal?

Pretty clean in the intake.

ps2fixer
02-02-2016, 08:33 PM
You could try an "easy out", basically a reversed drill bit, and a bit that "grabs" the drilled hole to pull the bolt out. Heat helps too. If the stud of the bolt is sticking up enough, you could try to weld another junk bolt onto it and see if it will come.

Oh just saw it was the carb bolts. I haven't had that problem before on a carb. I suspect heat could still help but I don't know if there is anything in the carb that could melt besides the float, and make sure to take the top off with the rubber seal up there. I suspect a machine shop could remove it for a fee.

Looks like your idle adjuster cable is shot too, honda does not list the part being made any more, so a 2nd carb might be a real good idea if it can get all the parts you need to make one complete good carb from the two. Another option is to "upgrade" it to a 400ex carb, but I don't have personal experience with that.

Here is about the cheapest one I could find that wasn't complete trash. Description says it is in good running order, just the outside is dirty $65 and way too much for shipping (see if they can get a real price quote maybe?) A med flat rate box is like $12 tops if it came down to it - http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-87-ATC-350x-Carb-Complete-/252237108518?hash=item3aba80d526:g:4XkAAOSwa-dWidrk&vxp=mtr

Looks like the 400ex carbs run close to $100.

knappyfeet
02-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Thanks ps2.

I've should of been more clear. It was one of the bolts for the float bowl. I like your idea of a parts carb though and might do that if things don't work out. I was thinking of just getting the float bowl gasket and make everything else work but there are some kits on ebay that give you the items one needs for $16 shipped to your door.

atc007
02-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Little vise grips on carb bowl screws.BUT,,,be careful not to turn into the bowl,they crack easy ;)

Jmoozy27
02-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Little vise grips on carb bowl screws.

That's my trick too. Most time I don't even start with a screwdriver.

ps2fixer
02-03-2016, 12:27 AM
Good tip on the philips vs JIS standard, I couldn't remember what the other one was. The major and easy way to tell the difference is the 45 degree tip vs 60 degree tip. Several bit type kits come with both styles.

As always.. got to have the right tool for the right job :). I suspect the OP had the correct screw driver, since he snapped the head off the screw/bolt head.

knappyfeet
02-03-2016, 02:32 AM
Yea you guys are right about the JIS.......I have a KTC set and an oldHarbor Freight set but I don't think they sell them anymore. Impact bits for case covers and splitting cases is a must.

This is the first time I broke a float bowl screw in my life. I never knew about the mini vise grips method. My routine has always been applying WD40 the night before. I've had the ugliest and nastiest bolts come off ultra easy........not this time.

I'm just going to try to drill a little out and work a small square file to remove the tiny screw. If worst comes to worst ill just drill it out or go with ps2's recommendation of another carb.

Silver Bullet I
02-03-2016, 03:46 AM
Try a easy out first! Don't ruin the carb with a file.

knappyfeet
02-03-2016, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys for the help. I think what I am going to attempt is to try to make a line across the top of the screw and maybe try a standard screwdriver. The photo makes it look bigger than it is but I don't even think it's an 1/8 of an inch. Maybe sitting in the WD40 an additional night might help.

longbedGTs
02-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Any before pics? The ones in the first post aren't showing up. Have you looked over the carb rebuild thread by FlyinW? Wealth of info there. Good luck and good to see this 350X cared for.

knappyfeet
02-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Here's a couple of pics.

Silver Bullet I
02-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys for the help. I think what I am going to attempt is to try to make a line across the top of the screw and maybe try a standard screwdriver. The photo makes it look bigger than it is but I don't even think it's an 1/8 of an inch. Maybe sitting in the WD40 an additional night might help.

Try liquid wrench on the bolts.

ps2fixer
02-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Try liquid wrench on the bolts.

Agree with this, or PB Blaster. WD40 is to displace water as it's primary design which is what the WD stands for, great for locks and other things that need lub, but no water. Penetrating oil will work better as it will work its way into the threads etc. You can make home made penetrating oil too from a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Another option would be diesel or kerosene.

knappyfeet
02-03-2016, 10:10 PM
This carburetor is just a gift that keeps on giving. Broken, frozen bolts...barely impacted the screw that holds the idle adjuster now a hole in bowl .

Thanks guys for the tip on PB......I have some in a small container but it looks as if a parts carb is in order. A free or near free bike is one of the most expensive things you can buy....... that I've learned long ago.

ps2fixer
02-03-2016, 10:46 PM
And that is why you get two of the same machine for free, so you can make one out of the two, and sell spare parts to keep the investment low :).

knappyfeet
02-03-2016, 11:15 PM
True words.

even knowing this I still do it. It's like I got a disease.

ps2.....I keep looking but then I dont. Usually things just present themselves and if I can I get it. At bare minimum the tires seem to be holding air just fine. I inflated them when I brought it h pool me and they're still good. The front has a plug from a patch but still holding air. I guess I have to be grateful for what I have.

ps2fixer
02-03-2016, 11:44 PM
To be honest, I never gotten a free machine, but I do buy a lot of parts machines. Having enough room and time, you can almost always find a good deal on a 2nd machine, just how much time can determine how plausible it is. Same theory has a spar carb, a spare machine to rob parts from can be a life saver.

BANSHEE CHAOS
02-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Put a 400EX carb on it. That's what's on mine. It has to be polar cold before even thinking about touching the choke or it'll flood but otherwise seems like a good carburetor.

knappyfeet
02-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Put a 400EX carb on it. That's what's on mine. It has to be polar cold before even thinking about touching the choke or it'll flood but otherwise seems like a good carburetor.

That might be something I'll do.

Someone educated me......does an 85 and 86 use the same carb? Looking at used ones on ebay.

ps2fixer
02-05-2016, 07:04 PM
85 and 86 did use the same carb, same part number.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-16100-HA5-014.html

knappyfeet
02-05-2016, 09:20 PM
85 and 86 did use the same carb, same part number.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-16100-HA5-014.html

perfect...thank you.

knappyfeet
02-12-2016, 11:58 PM
A lot of the rubber parts on this bike are as hard as injection molded plastic. They might need a boiling moisturizer bath.

It has the gear driver for the speedo but no speedometer. I see a lot on ebay but I'm unsure if some are model specific. A Goki starter came up not to long ago on ebay and probably lasted a half a day. Some parts are getting harder to find and a tick costly.

jeswinehart
02-13-2016, 12:51 AM
Your speedo drive gear that is already mounted is "specific" ,,,, everything else for the most part is all the same. speedo cable can use darn near any Honda older motor cycle cable so long as it is long enough but not so silly long it loops out all about.
If you decide to eliminate the drive gear (that if has no cable in it and rode much would either need some going thru and/or be a parts part) you will need the spacer and correct bearing seal.
If that drive gear rotates okay enough it will fetch you some surprisingly good money on ebay if you decide to go that route on that particular part (marketed correctly with pics and description)

djm0242
02-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Oh man you could straighten that out with a hydrolic Jack and some 2x4s! I've always wanted a 350x with electric start. I just can't imagine what kicking one would be like. Nice find man.

ps2fixer
02-15-2016, 02:02 AM
Oh man you could straighten that out with a hydrolic Jack and some 2x4s! I've always wanted a 350x with electric start. I just can't imagine what kicking one would be like. Nice find man.

The 350x's have an automatic decompression release cable, so kicking them when it is working right feels like kicking a 125cc dirt bike, really easy. However, if the cable is missing or not adjusted correctly and the engine is in good shape, it is pretty hard to kick. I have two machines and one in each setup. The hard to kick one I don't ride much since it is the nice looking machine and I ride pretty hard. I'll fix it some day :). Good thing I never had it kick back, I'd think it could break my ankle.

atcmatt
02-15-2016, 05:07 AM
Want to sell the speedo drive gear? I will send you the piece that is taken out in place of the drive gear.

Matt

knappyfeet
02-15-2016, 06:02 PM

Thanks DJ. I was thinking it might not take much to get the bend back into a more straight position.

it does kick over pretty darn easy with the compression release system.

jakeesspoo
02-15-2016, 06:43 PM
Sweet score

knappyfeet
02-16-2016, 12:23 AM
Sweet score

Thank you. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time......them wanting to clean some stuff out.

Hey atcmatt..........let me make sure the speedo drive works. Maybe you can put it to use as I really don't forsee any use for it myself

onformula1
02-16-2016, 01:40 AM
Thanks DJ. I was thinking it might not take much to get the bend back into a more straight position.

it does kick over pretty darn easy with the compression release system.

Classic, 350X smash point the gusset under the toolbox should be bent outwards, easy fix BTW.

atcmatt
02-16-2016, 06:00 AM
Yeah that would be great mate. I have a 250sx one on mine at the moment but have been wanting a 350x one for some time. Thanks mate!

Matt

knappyfeet
02-16-2016, 07:18 PM
Well $70 later I have a replacement carb that needs of couple of things itself. I'm sure some of you saw it on ebay........it had a link to the video of the person riding it.

Which leads me to thinking........ just kinda clean it and install it and get this running before I purchase anything else for it or the rebuild kit for the carburetor. I just want to hear some life from it and give it a couple of heat cycles to let things clear and set. Maybe a quick low speed run thru the gears so there's no suprises. If it runs nicely as I suspect it will I might just keep it......straighten things out and make it a runner.

Here's a video of the bike it came off of. I might just install before anything else

http://youtu.be/NbVMBZxqo_0

knappyfeet
02-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Here's a video of my field find running. This was a startup after 1 heat cycle. I just installed the carb I got on ebay without rebuilding it or anything.....which I'll do now.

Like my DR650, this started easy with only manipulating the rich setting and no throttle action. Of course you all know that already. This starts easy. Initially it smoked like the dickens due to the old oil I previously put in the cylinder.

It sounds good to me running.....no funny noises but if anyone notices something I should call to attention please let me know. I know the idles a little high but once the carbs rebuilt I will adjust accordingly

http://youtu.be/cPs8dgQ8E1o

djm0242
02-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Sounds great to me. Just run it for a while after you change all the fluids. That carb is just gummy. It seems to idle ok to me. Just needs excersize! Put some Marvel in there and some 93 octane... 😆

knappyfeet
02-18-2016, 12:37 AM
Sounds great to me. ��

Thanks DJ. It really sounds ok.....just some normal engine noise. I just started it now.....2 kicks cold.

Funny thing is the carbs not leaking out the bowl or overflow and not flooding anything. I might just give the carb a good cleaning and some new rubber and that's it.

djm0242
02-18-2016, 01:28 AM
Just run it like it is. If it's not leaking... It doesn't need gaskets right now anyway. Use Marvel to ease that cylinder and those valves back in to shape

knappyfeet
03-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Any recommendations for this repair?

Unless I absolutely need to strip it down I would like to repair it as is.

djm0242
03-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Not sure everyone will agree but here's what I'd do. I'd get a scissor jack or hydrolic jack and some 2x4s- (wasn't kidding before) I'd use a small torch to heat around the bent area and I'd slowly expand the jack and then heat and repeat until I got it pretty close. Prolly have to take it slow. Just my opinion - never actually done a repair on an atc using this method. But I wanna see it when you get it done! Still think this bike find is dope. :p

knappyfeet
03-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks dj.

I think I get what your saying. Maybe make a little jig with the 2x4s and use a bottle jack or something. I'm not trying to make it perfect. Just a little more presentable when I install the new grab bar so it won't look cock eyed.

I know my skill sets and limitations. I've taken frames to Dr. Johns in Anaheim for proper work over the years. Little things I've taken care of and if I went to bare frame I would do something with my press. But if I do that I might be tempted to do more. It's a disease.

ps2fixer
03-03-2016, 08:39 PM
I'd say to avoid too much force. Heat only the bottom side of the bend to orange/dim yellow and pull on the back end of the frame. You might need a little leverage (pipe + small chain), but shouldn't require too much.

I built custom bumpers with my dad this way, 3/4 inch solid bar bends by hand when heated till the joint is yellow. It is pretty hard to bend with it is a dim orange.

Dirtcrasher
03-03-2016, 08:53 PM
This carburetor is just a gift that keeps on giving. Broken, frozen bolts...barely impacted the screw that holds the idle adjuster now a hole in bowl .

Thanks guys for the tip on PB......I have some in a small container but it looks as if a parts carb is in order. A free or near free bike is one of the most expensive things you can buy....... that I've learned long ago.

PB, Kroil, WD49, sea foam or this new Seafoam which I forget the name of, lol,

Ahhh, I remember! - DEEP CREEP!!, this stuff has amazed me, and the other stuff is just the normal results we expect. Plenty of these items help us take corroded/rusted, cross-threaded, strippe crap apart. Different elements from each and every size and or environment removal is different in "Most likely to come out with slow patience". I use the torches all the time if the 1st manual attempt looks not so good. I just heat it up or burn it out.

knappyfeet
03-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Yea.........a little heat will be the easiest.......just kinda pull up when nearing yellow.

I might as well say "bye bye" to any powder coating in that area

I had to edit.....

I remember using heat on powder coated stuff and it burned stuff off but not that bad. I'm going to have to at least touch up that area anyway so it really is the easiest.

Dirtcrasher
03-03-2016, 09:06 PM
I just read back a few. That frame is just fine. No real weight unless your butt is that far back or a passenger hanging off the grab bar. Heat it up, bend it up.

We hear "heat makes it weaker", I heat the crap out of plenty of parts and applications....

knappyfeet
03-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Ahhh, I remember! - DEEP CREEP!!, this stuff has amazed me, and the other stuff is just the normal results we expect. Plenty of these items help us take corroded/rusted, cross-threaded, strippe crap apart.

I hear ya. I mean I've broken fasteners and stuff even after heat but these items were kinda expected to give me problems. But a float bowl screw?

Thanks to folks on ebay for parting out things ............it runs well now.

ps2fixer
03-03-2016, 09:26 PM
I just read back a few. That frame is just fine. No real weight unless your butt is that far back or a passenger hanging off the grab bar. Heat it up, bend it up.

We hear "heat makes it weaker", I heat the crap out of plenty of parts and applications....

The only case when heating something up to bright orange/yellow that would cause it to be weaker is if it is something that was hardened such as a chain, sprockets, your tools etc. Most parts are mild steel meaning it isn't heat treated. Dumping the hot metal in water/oil heat treats it, but the process can be a little tricky to get right with out making it so hard (brittle) that any shock makes it crack/break. Simple terms, heating hardened steel makes it tempered (less hard).

Good read on the subject -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempering_%28metallurgy%29

oscarmayer
03-03-2016, 11:11 PM
bot sure you will get needle out of the hole. i just fought with a carb for 4 days in chemdip and drilling the needle, no luck. In the end we trashed the carb and got a new one for $100. this was for a 350 rancher. so if nothing else, ya may consider just getting a decent carb to start with to rebuild.that one looks trashed and pitted so bad it would probably never remain in spec.

knappyfeet
03-04-2016, 11:20 AM
I agree. The one I got off eBay doesn't leak and seems to idle and run fine. That's a better candidate than the one that was on the bike.

3is4Fun
03-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Mine is bend like that as well, and I think its just the back area that attaches to the grab bar... from a certain wheelie-slide gone wrong if I remember correctly.

knappyfeet
03-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Some brake work being done. I could barely roll it. Everything will get clean and the corrosion removed.

I'm just going to live with the bend in the back part of the frame for now. For the first time I rode it and it ran perfect.....shifted thru the gears no problem. It starts cold with 2 girl kicks every time. What I do have and suspected all the while was a bent axle. Not horrible and not so noticeable off road but it's there. So far I'm into this near free 350x for about $150. That's for NOS fork covers, an eBay carb, new gas cap and some hoses, fuel line, etc. I'll need a new fuel valve as the one on it is unservicable. A seat cover as well.

knappyfeet
03-16-2016, 06:41 PM
I just got a nice Clarke fuel valve but I never thought about needing the 90 degree angle. I'm going to try to make it work......maybe get a 90 fitting to lessen the sink.

knappyfeet
03-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Rusted rear master cylinder. Don't know how ugly it really is but it looks ugly.

Dirtcrasher
03-17-2016, 01:01 PM
Well, that shock stops at some point. So, I'd take off the grab bar, block of wood on the rear swinger carrier housing and a block under the bent rails with a bottle jack between them. If you don't have torches, heating it with mapp gas or propane is only gonna burn the pain off.

They discontinued the rear master rebuild kit, but I saw a couple on EBAY not too long ago they weren't NOS though. You can bolt on a yzf450 quad master which contains a reservoir on the top. But with nice fenders, I'd like someone to chime in fitment for a OEM fender. I have low pro fiberglass fenders so I just used a sanding drum on my dremel to make a nice curve to fit. But you don't want to alter those fenders.

knappyfeet
03-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the tip dirtcrasher. I have torches and tanks . I guess I just kinda didn't want to destroy whats left of the finish for now....but more trying to get this into a nice, reliable runner. That bend in the frame dosen't effect the running of the machine as the bent axle does.

I kinda want to be at a spending limit of $1000. Right now I'm up to $218. The front brakes just need to be cleaned so there's so far no expense there...I hope.

I might decide in the future to refinish the frame and other things and it will be then that I can fix the bend. Thank God the tires are still holding air.

Dirtcrasher
03-18-2016, 08:01 PM
^ Grab a can of Sunrise Red Rustoleum and with a nice fine brush after you clean, Nice coat fading into the OEM red.

No durability with spray cans. I use it on my 86350X all the time....

knappyfeet
03-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Will do. I've been wondering how close sunrise red is

sweetip2000
03-19-2016, 10:38 PM
omg only a west coast bike can look like this .....

knappyfeet
03-25-2016, 07:06 PM
First time putting a seat cover on. It's not oem........it's a cheap $25 one from eBay but I'm happy with it. At minimum it's better than the leg scratching old one.

Had to edit......also put some repo 85 200x tank decals I had laying around on.

bad to the bone
06-13-2016, 02:52 PM
Steal of a deal. Any updates on this?

knappyfeet
06-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Sold this to a nice gentleman in Texas for $1300. It ran great....smoked a little on startup..... and started with 1 or 2 kicks.

I'm using some of the funds for the 250 WR. I wasn't going to do this one but the bike runs so well and is also so easy to start that I decided this one was the keeper. Plus the plastics are a little nicer on this one than any others. Plastics.........especially OEM ones are getting scarcer.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/knappyfeet/20160116_153833_zpsgtap3hre.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/knappyfeet/media/20160116_153833_zpsgtap3hre.jpg.html)

knappyfeet
06-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Hey knappy you gonna run the 350X or the YZ at the dunes this fall ?

Hey glamy.......... we are going to run the yz and the yz125. I might be getting a buggy from a customer I work for for $2000. From a nice family... older guy... always garaged and a rebuilt 2100..... mild build. I want it but my wife is getting the Razor bug. I never been on one but all the popular kids are getting them. I'm not sold though.......especially the high pricetag.

knappyfeet
06-14-2016, 05:07 PM
With all due respect to the wife ......get the buggy ! ....i know side by each are cute ......but they suck in heavy dunes and they`re top heavy for rollin !!! Let me say this .......you need to keep the wife safe at the dunes.......my wife hates the dunes because she did`nt do what i told her !......witch was only ride with me ......she got hurt now i`m the arse-hole . I really recommend a nice 250R to go with your buggy ...dirt bikes are work in the sand but the jumps are fen-nominal @ Glamis ! Those are nice bikes you`ve acquired theres gold out there ....you just have to look for it !......need a kids bike ? ........all the popular kids crank up the justin bieber in there golfcarts !....oh my !

Your right.

I'm going to get a pic of it. It's still at his residence but its mine for the taking whenever I'm ready/make room for it.

Older guy took care of it. Stored inside, no corroded aluminum, easy starter, etc. Very nice family but they graduated to jeeps and now they are having the time of their life.