PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Chuck E porting on 85' 250r

russ98atc
01-20-2016, 12:17 AM
So I started tearing down my 250r for restoration and I came across an engraving on the jug. Written in cursive is Chuck E. From what I've gathered on some forums is that he did 2 stroke engine work until 1989. But compared to other pictures of jugs I've seen done by him mine only says Chuck e whilst others say Chuck e nationals with a question mark underneath. I guess what I'm wondering is if mine was an early port job or just different from the nationals porting? I dont have my engine torn apart yet but as soon as i do i will be posting pictures. If anyone has any further information that would be greatly appreciated!

oile
01-20-2016, 12:29 AM
Get ahold of BKM I traded him mine maybe he will post some pics.

Joseph Farrow
01-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Chuck Edwards come onto the racing sceen in the late 80's. He gained the most recognition when Gary Denton was one of his riders. He built super fast and reliable two strokes. He kinda came off the rails and quietly went away. He was a very likable guy just had other problems. I remember seeing cylinders with "Chuck E" like yours back in the day but could very well be an earlier port.

DohcBikes
01-20-2016, 10:32 AM
He kinda came off the rails and quietly went away. He was a very likable guy just had other problems.

Maybe he just didn't like trains

russ98atc
01-20-2016, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the feed back guys! I will be posting more pictures once the engine is out in a couple weeks.

onformula1
01-21-2016, 03:40 AM
I have heard a few stories and they came from a few sources that didn't know each other, here is the story or close to it-

Chuck Edwards was a former bike racer, I think he was a ole flattracker that got into building trike engines and they were pretty fast, then he moved to Southern California and got into the trike scene fullbore, because he was so competitive he wanted to build the same engine that Marty Hart's factory honda was using so he broke into the factory Honda box van at a national race in the middle of the night and took apart Marty's engine while holding a flashlight and speced out the porting and head mods, then put the engine back together perfectly so it could be raced the next day, he then started porting cylinders to those specs coining it the "National" engine and became pretty famous. I have know idea if any of this is true or a story, but if it is true man the guy had a big set of b@lls...lol

John_Neary
01-21-2016, 04:50 AM
Oh boy, the stories i could tell you guys about Chuckie. In 1989 he moved his shop to my home town here in Chico and we happen to have what Playboy ranked the #1 party school in the USA in 87 with Chico State and did Chuck ever throw himself head first into the party scene.

Guy could build a heck of a fast 2 stroke but vices he had a plenty.

atc007
01-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Stories,stories,stories lol... The ones that know, don't say :). Right John !! Chuck is a great guy, a wild guy,and tighten your seatbelt if you were gonna be anywhere near him. Extremely competitive yes. Chuck built his reputation right here at home,Bingamton NY.We spent most every weekend at Silver Speedways. He was building national caliber engines long before his glimpse at a Marty Hart cylinder,no crimes were committed,and if there were, Team Honda had anything and everything that was served to them coming to them lol.He and Mark Nevil would have given a hell of a shot at the AATVA National Championship on a 250R were it not for family obligations and other circumstances. He and local Barry Mccarty won the Veronica Beach race 2 years straight on a LT500R. He also tuned Barry's LT250R to 1 point off a National Championship at Lorettas. Chuck and Barry had the #1 Plate put on in the pits after the race and Allen Knowles and Gary Denton came in and took it off. Somehow Gary beat him by a point.. Years later Chuck would be tuning Gary's engines. Chuck was rumored to be dead for years...I won't get into any more. To say you could write a book on him would be a vast understatement. ....If his first 50 years were a movie, there would be at least 5 sequels,all smashing Star Wars if you like motorsports and excitement! He now is a family man, owns an excavating company and is the unofficial mayor of a magical snowmobile village...

Dirtweed
01-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Great info guys I didn't realize he was from Binghamton, explains how you found one here.

Russ I love that trike, I'll enjoy coming over and watching the progress and helping get the parts prepped
for the restoration. Will be nice when we can put both of ours together rolling and running. Then we need to
get a couple of '88s or even for fun a couple of Zillas. :naughty:

onformula1
01-25-2016, 02:44 AM
Stories,stories,stories lol... The ones that know, don't say :). Right John !! Chuck is a great guy, a wild guy,and tighten your seatbelt if you were gonna be anywhere near him. Extremely competitive yes. Chuck built his reputation right here at home,Bingamton NY.We spent most every weekend at Silver Speedways. He was building national caliber engines long before his glimpse at a Marty Hart cylinder,no crimes were committed,and if there were, Team Honda had anything and everything that was served to them coming to them lol.He and Mark Nevil would have given a hell of a shot at the AATVA National Championship on a 250R were it not for family obligations and other circumstances. He and local Barry Mccarty won the Veronica Beach race 2 years straight on a LT500R. He also tuned Barry's LT250R to 1 point off a National Championship at Lorettas. Chuck and Barry had the #1 Plate put on in the pits after the race and Allen Knowles and Gary Denton came in and took it off. Somehow Gary beat him by a point.. Years later Chuck would be tuning Gary's engines. Chuck was rumored to be dead for years...I won't get into any more. To say you could write a book on him would be a vast understatement. ....If his first 50 years were a movie, there would be at least 5 sequels,all smashing Star Wars if you like motorsports and excitement! He now is a family man, owns an excavating company and is the unofficial mayor of a magical snowmobile village...

More, more, more!!!

ceaserthethird
01-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Great stories, And post pictures of the cylinder once removed.