PDA

View Full Version : 86 200x stroke

Husky250
01-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Well I have finally gotten around to trying to get my 86 up and running. 300ex swingarm, new piston and rings, yada yada yada. Well it would start but will not run under load. I finally took it to my buddies shop and told him to deal with it. well, he says the rod is bent..... No rods to be had according to him. He said he has some feelers out but no luck yet. Well if we are possibly splitting the cases to do a rod I am wondering if stroking it would be a better option. Anyone know of a shop that does stroker kits? If I hadn't paid less than $200 for this thing I'd be upset. Son is starting to race quads so I'd like to get this thing done so we can ride together. We do now but no matter how fast he is he cant hold my husky in the woods so the X is the perfect vehicle for father son bonding. Thanks all in advance for any input you have!!!!!

Dirtcrasher
01-18-2016, 11:17 PM
Why does a bent rod do this, low compression??

It's tough to get the power out of the 86/87 partially because everyone changed to quads then.....

oscarmayer
01-24-2016, 10:51 AM
Contact hotrods. They can probably match a rod if you get them the exact stock specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husky250
01-28-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks Oscarmayer! just got a call from my buddy and they simply cannot find the parts to overhaul the crank and rod. Already have a whole new rear end on this thing as well as a top end, I refuse to just just throw it in the scrap pile!

Louis Mielke
01-28-2016, 02:29 PM
I just got REAL lucky and nabbed a NOS rod and nos bearing cage on ebay.

The needle bearings are still available from honda as it the crank pin.

That left the thrust washers which a buddy found me one NOS in a dealership. They're mailing it to me. We're hoping the 83-85 thrust washers are the same or else I'll be reusing an old one.

shortline10
01-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Dont give up , I see rods for sale on eBay all the time , just keep looking .

barnett468
01-28-2016, 03:34 PM
you can get many nos parts from the link below but unfortunately they no longer have the rod.

www.cmsnl.com

This is the part number for the rod 13201-HB5-300

Measure your rod and see if there is one on the list in the link below that will fit.

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_44.htm

As far as a stroker kit goes, there are a couple different ways to get one . . Powroll used to make them and they may or may not be back in biz . . I will look for the owners contact info if no one else posts it here . . I also suggest you send a pm to shortline10 and ask him what he knows.

You can probably use a rod from the Vesrah list but the prob is finding a piston with the right distance from the center of the piston pin to the outer edge of the top of the piston . . This distance is called "compression height" and some piston mfg's list this dimension on their site.

If you can not find a stroker kit but still prefer one, get your rod dimensions and piston compression height and post the info and I will see if I can find a combo that will work and others that see your post will help you too.

Any machine shop in the world cam modify the crank for the kit.

barnett468
01-28-2016, 03:41 PM
I thought I would mention that it might cost around $300.00 or more for a machine shop to modify the crank . . Assembly would be extra.

oscarmayer
01-28-2016, 04:56 PM
www.lukesracing.com rebuilds all our cranks for racing or we just get new Hotrod stuff. but they do good work so talk to them, they may be able to make something work for you.
also Crank Works can do a ton of custom stuff.