PDA

View Full Version : Ice Racing with a 350x

Honda Junki
01-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm signed up to do a few ice races at some local lakes around me and just wanted opinions from people that have done it before. This is my first time so I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to this. I signed up for the class that only studs the front tire which is the class most guys that have 3 wheeler's sign up for. So other then me studding the front tire does anyone have input on some tricks or tips for setting up my wheeler? Not looking to spend money right now either.

Thanks

Dirtcrasher
01-13-2016, 06:42 PM
I lowered my rear end with a link I whipped up and raised the forks up, but don't hit the tire.... Idea is to get it low. You can loosen the spring nuts and drop it, but then there is a spring flopping around.

If it's something you want to do, I recommend having a set on rims. I think I got 18" Turf Tamers and use the Kold Kutter or equivalent screws ONLY. I used a screw on every single knobby and the rear hooked up great. I forget what I ran in the front but I should have done more knobbies because it slipped out a few times.

You have to find the balance that works for you. If you stud the front too much, your arms will be killing you and trying to tear them off the bars.

I had no practice at all and did well until the last lap and the front washed out and I got tired and flipped it, lol.....

81ATC185S
01-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Get low in the rear, raise the front, you gotta lean, lean, and lean into the turns.

kiser
01-28-2016, 09:53 PM
If the class don't allow rear studs you won't have to do much on set up because it will just spin. Having the front studded will be nice so it won't push in the turns. Just stud your front and go have fun.

f76
01-28-2016, 11:59 PM
I've never ice raced so correct me if I'm wrong ye who are knowledgeable, but with no studs on the rear the key will be to lug the engine and keep the rear ended from just spinning?

kiser
01-29-2016, 02:34 AM
That is true. You don't want to spin but to carry any speed you will spin without studs in the back. Run a higher gear, lug in the turns and roll into it as you come out.