PDA

View Full Version : might have the wrong piston installed 250r. Need pistion height to check

jrooster
01-08-2016, 11:53 PM
just got my motor back from ct racing. According to my invoice they used a hot rods long rod for a 87+ trx250r and Pro x piston for a 85-86 250r. From what i understand You cannot use a 85-86 piston without a spacer, which my motor does not have. If you use the 87 long rod you have to use a 87+ piston. Does anyone know the height of both pistons so i can put a caliper on and see if i have the right piston? Or how can i ID the crank to tell if its a long rod or short rod? Really hoping the parts numbers are wrong here otherwise im not sure how to go about this. thanks guys

yaegerb
01-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Is the cylinder on? How much piston is sticking above the cylinder? Have a pic to show?

jrooster
01-09-2016, 12:35 AM
Is the cylinder on? How much piston is sticking above the cylinder? Have a pic to show?

yes the cylinder is on. im willing to take the cylinder off to ID the crank. I can take the head off to get a picture to see how far the piston sticks past the cylinder if you have numbers or you know just by looking. but from what ive read its like a 4mm differance so it may be hard to tell by a picture.

yaegerb
01-09-2016, 12:57 AM
You should be able to tell. There should be no side wall beyond the upper deck. And you are correct, they should have used an 87 piston, however I don't know if they 85-86 pro-x are the same height as the 87. Also, they could have milled the head to accept the extra 4mm......may have to do a UCCR.

jrooster
01-09-2016, 01:04 AM
i will take the head off to check and post a picture. Im going to call CT but they probably are not open saturday and im wondering if they will just say somthing like 'of course we installed the right stuff' without really knowing.

jrooster
01-09-2016, 01:30 AM
it may have gone up a tiny more but it was hard to hold it at the very very top. I also wonder if a 85-86 piston is taller than a 87+ or if the wrist pin location is just at different spots. Also, the top of this piston doesnt look like other pro X pistons ive seen? other ones ive seen are shiny. In the tote they sent the motor back in they threw all the gasket packages and seal, bearing packages in with the engine. In there was a piston box for a 85-86 250r from DG raising more questions.

yaegerb
01-09-2016, 01:35 AM
That looks ok to me. If you are still unsure, perform a squish test. I always reccomend/perform a UCCR so you will run the correct fuel for that motor.

jrooster
01-09-2016, 05:25 AM
well dug in deeper, i took off the reed cage to take a look inside there. i can see on the side of the rod it is stamped "made in japan" on one side and the letter "H" on the other. When i got my motor back they sent me back my junk crank and connecting rod and sure enough it is the same exact rod with the same stamps. From all my research i found that Hot Rods is made in the USA, its labeled on their boxes and lasered onto some of their stuff. So CT did not put a hot rods in my motor like we discussed. As i looked further into it it appears to be a Vesrah rod, but i cant say for sure. I found some vesrah rods on google with these exact same stampings and some other vesrah rods had vesrah stamped on them. Either way things are not adding up here. I took some pictures of the rod and hope someone can ID it.

yaegerb
01-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Yeah, that is not a hot rods. I would be calling CT the first chance you get.

El Camexican
01-09-2016, 10:14 PM
Freaking shops that pull crap like that give them all a bad name. I remember a buddy grenading a fresh 4 cyl engine that he paid 10K for. There were THREE different brands of pistons in it!

Give em hell!

yaegerb
01-09-2016, 10:27 PM
Unfortunately this isn't the only story I have read lately about that company on various forums. Don't believe they will get my business again.

John Tice
01-09-2016, 10:31 PM
Have you checked the deck/squish height?? Roll a ¼” turd of play dough & put it on the piston. Gently roll the crank over 1 time. When the dough hardens you can measure the distance. Without this measurement it’s kinda hard to tell anything. http://smallenginemachineworks.com/2-stroke_cylinder_services

John Tice
503-593-2908 Alternate 541-508-3944
www.smallenginemachineworks.com & www.nwsleeve.com
Turning Custom Cylinder Sleeves Since 1971

jrooster
01-10-2016, 12:31 AM
yeah im not happy. i had over $1000 in work done. i should at the very least know whats being put in my motor. There was some talk about putting a pro X short rod in there but they didnt have them in stock so i said go ahead with the hot rods long rod and 87+ pro X piston that they had in stock. Turns out i have neither but thats why my invoice says. On a positive note, Ive read that vesrah did not make long rods so it has to be a short rod in there. Also read that 85-86 pistons have half moon cut out on the intake skirt of the piston and mine does so the combo i have should work. 87+ pistons have a window cut out in them on the intake side. Does anybody know if DG made pistons? i got a box with all the other stuff that says DG piston kit 85-86 atc 250r. I tried calling CT today but no answer. I will try again monday. Any advice on what to say or ask for? I find myself in a tough position because im on the other side of the country. I will check squish, but what should it be at? Thanks everyone.

EDIT:

Here is a picture of the piston box i got. Again more questions. Why is .25 whited out and .50 is penned on? On top of the actual piston it is stamped 0.50 not cast like the "IN". I cannot find anything on DG pistons. Maybe its a pro X piston in some random box? anyone have a pro X pistion they can look at the top of?225940225938225939

yaegerb
01-10-2016, 12:43 AM
You should run a minimum of .040" squish.

John Tice
01-10-2016, 02:34 AM
The people who originally set up your engine will be able to tell you what the squish / deck height should be with their set up. They should also be able to tell you what your cranking compression should be. If your measurements are different, then you will have an accurate clue if there is or isn’t something wrong.

Many times parts specified aren’t available & a substitute may be used. This doesn’t mean that your equipment is assembled incorrectly. At the very least, give them a polite call & ask about your concerns.

These are the types of things that an owner needs to know to avoid this type of problem.
It isn’t fair to rag on those Freaking, crappy parts & problems before some more complete research has been attempted.

Pro-X pistons are a cast part without bright polishing on the domes. Your piston is stamped 0.50 which is 1/2mm or +.020” oversized.
Different kinds of pistons have different cutouts, scallops & hole patterns which are in place to give the reed valves a 360deg access to crankcase compression.

The Wossner piston catalog should have the wrist pin heights to all of the pistons in question.

John Tice
503-593-2908 Alternate 541-508-3944
www.smallenginemachineworks.com & www.nwsleeve.com
Turning Custom Cylinder Sleeves Since 1971

The_Steve_Man
01-11-2016, 07:05 AM
The wrist pin is higher on the 87 up pistons. The edge of the piston should come flush with cylinder. The invoice should everything listed, especially from CT. I would go though the invoice and check the parts that you can.
Something doesn't sound right if they told you one thing and did something else.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk