PDA

View Full Version : Wheres a good place to get different rear shock springs (softer)?

hawaiirider
01-05-2016, 12:24 PM
its been months but im making more progress on my Suzuki tri runner 160.

I ditched the stock 4 inch travel shock for a 85 200x shock and fabbed the shock to mount up but its much too stiff.

I then ordered a spring from schmidity racing that has the suzukis spring rate for the 200x shock. Its still to stiff and the guy said he would not exchange it for a lighter one, I made sure not to scratch it at all too...
I cant keep paying 80$ per spring until I get the correct one. does anyone have any info that could help?
thanks

Marty
01-05-2016, 12:42 PM
if it for a rear shocks try summit racing!!!
They have all different sizes and different spring rates and best of all prices are good.
But not many people know to use car or truck springs on atv shocks! Just make sure you measure spring O D and I D and spring rate you are looking for and i am sure you will find something!!!
Currently doing my rear elk shock and waiting for spring to arrive today i will post pic of project when done.

hawaiirider
01-05-2016, 07:33 PM
theres no way to soften the current spring by stretching it is there? I think I asked this before and it was a NO..
its going to be hard to find the correct spring tho...

barnett468
01-05-2016, 09:18 PM
If you changed the leverage ratio, we would need to know the current ratio and previous ratio and previous spring rate and whether the original spring was too soft or too firm etc . . With this info we can than possibly calculate what spring would at least be close to what you want.

If you did not change the leverage ratio, you can simply get a spring that is slightly different than the stock one in the direction that you want it

Since the Honda shock is off a different vehicle, the damping rates may not be would be quite what you want either.

barnett468
01-05-2016, 09:24 PM

theres no way to soften the current spring by stretching it is there?

Unfortunately no.

its going to be hard to find the correct spring tho...

Race Tech has some for the 200X shock.

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/3/Honda/ATC200X/1983-84

hawaiirider
01-06-2016, 10:46 AM
I didn't change the leverage on it, same mounts...
I just wish the guy I bought it from would let me exchange it, 80$ down the pooper is not cool. I think he sent me the wrong spring.

barnett468
01-06-2016, 02:04 PM
I didn't change the leverage on it, same mounts...
I just wish the guy I bought it from would let me exchange it, 80$ down the pooper is not cool. I think he sent me the wrong spring.

It seems odd that he won't allow you to return or exchange it unless it was a special order from outside the Islands but it you paid for it by credit card you can call them and file a dispute and see what happens.

hawaiirider
01-12-2016, 04:48 PM
is there any bike out there w a soft stock shock? itd be cheaper to buy a whole shock off ebay than a single spring hoping it works.
the problem is the leverage on the Suzuki lt 160 rear end, the shock mounts way back almost to the carrier...
I could move its location but then there goes the airbox..

DohcBikes
01-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Post pics. Not through a magnifying glass just some regular pics of the whole setup

oscarmayer
01-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Onformula1 has access to springs. Pm him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk