PDA

View Full Version : *** 1984 Honda 200es Clutch Repair Question - again!!! ***

bkvette3
01-02-2016, 06:28 PM
OK - this simple task of replacing the manual clutch pack on my '84 200es hit another snag. First, I did not have the proper socket to remove the lock nut. Have one now - ready to change the clutch. Now, looks like I need a special tool (clutch center holder - as per service manual) to hold the clutch assembly as it just spins when trying to remove the clutch lock nut. Is there a way to hold the clutch without using the clutch holder (Honda part # 07923-9580000)?? Page 8-15 in the service manual.

Thanks in advance.

El Camexican
01-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Yes, but you might not like it and I don't guarantee the results.

After making certain that the bent lock washer that I assume is holding the nut (I don't own one of these trikes, but most clutches have one) You can try stuffing a welding glove between the inner and outer hubs and removing the nut with an impact driver while you hold the outer basket with a gloved hand. Dangerous? A little. Stupid? Not if you don't lose a finger, or sprain your wrist:). You can also wedge some wood between them to take the place of the glove, but if you don't distribute the force enough you could break the outer basket.

If you don't have an air or electric impact and plan to do this with hand tools then you will need a holder. You can make one by welding a couple of the old steel plates together and then to a Y shaped handle. that looks a lot like the tool Honda recommends. That is the best way to do the job.

bkvette3
01-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Thank-you, El Camexican for the suggestion. But I don't know if I want to try that. I will hurt myself for sure and lose a finger using that method. Found this clip on you tube - check out below. Go to 4:25 - 6:30 for removal and 11:40 - 15:30 for install if you don't have time for the whole video. Guess I will have to find a clutch holder somewhere - much safer.

Regards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmbyEgn8Wfk

Howdy
01-02-2016, 08:53 PM
I use a air impact and normally a short burst will remove the nut. Only ever had one that took more than a short burst to remove.
Howdy

oscarmayer
01-04-2016, 11:56 AM
El Mexican, I have always done it that way. just need a good impact driver is all not a cheapo. I do all my motors with a glove holding the flywheel or clutch basket. never had a problem. welding glove works best.