PDA

View Full Version : So the timing chain can "stretch"?!?!?!

plkmonster2
01-25-2004, 04:27 AM
Is this true? I tore the 110 apart to get it ready to sell, yup im gonna, well the timing chain is looser than a son of a gun, but the tensioner won't go more. My uncle said that when it stretches, it makes the timing go off, so it doesn't run as well. I would notice that the throttle respnse would change dramatically when accellerating and deaccelleration, then to accellerate.

hondatrikesrule22
01-25-2004, 05:07 AM
Yes sir,any chain can stretch.It sounds like you need to do a top end rebuild,but you are selling it...I'm sure you can find someone who is willing to put some labor into it. ;)

plkmonster2
01-25-2004, 05:53 AM
Im fixing a lot of the small probs, like the stuck drive chain, which i just fixed, and the loose timing chain. I have about 4 other 110 and 90 motors to take from ;) so i thought i'd fix it up a bit, then probably get some more out of it. The motor only needs a bore now. Ive fixed pretty much everything else over the years.

kdagenais
01-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Yes, the chain can stretch and if it is too loose it can skip a tooth which will result in bent valves. I would keep that in mind if you leave it alone and sell it to someone. That would be a real bummer if you buy a new toy and it breaks right aay on them.
Good Luck!

Buechse_Germany
01-25-2004, 10:44 AM
hmm... i never got that deep in the engine of my 200X yet....what happens if the chain is getting to loose?

I mean how can i tell that it`s to loose?

plkmonster2
01-25-2004, 04:41 PM
usually you can hear it if its too loose. It sounds all ratchety and like riding on a roller coaster when it is being towed up ;)