PDA

View Full Version : Stuck carb, I think, alt 125 3 wheeler

jbander
12-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Well I'm in Minnesota, 4 days ago it rained then froze and it has, like it has done multiple times in the past, froze the electric on/ off switch, it needs to be coxed a bit to get it to turn, well this time the throttle froze also. I put a little pressure on it and it opened the throttle and got stuck , Revved up a bit but I turned it off and gave the throttle a little more pressure and it opened completely but got stuck wide open(it wasn't running at that time) , So I pushed it into my warm garage and it thawed out and the throttle moved back to where it is suppose to be, so the throttle moves back and forth but it won't start it just pops and then smells like a lot of gas. I'm thinking maybe the Throttle is still stuck. So I'm going to pull it apart , but I just want to know what I should be looking for and if I should worry about small parts coming popping out

jbander
12-26-2015, 05:24 PM
I don't quite understand how the choke works, can I pull it to check it or is the Part of pulling it metering the starting valve or unmetering it so it has to be reset or is it just pull it and put it back after looking at it and it is self metered (adjusted)

sledcrazyinCT
12-26-2015, 09:41 PM
the choke is a cable operated lever this machine has a fuel primer because the gas tank is lower than the carb. not sure what you are asking?

jbander
12-27-2015, 12:26 AM
Well my confusing question is from limited knowledge on my part, I was looking for a butterfly choke in the carb, didn't know there was any other kind. still don't know how this one works but It's not a butterfly. Great tip on the primer. I have a question about the primer it has a hole in the facing of the primer and it leaks a considerable amount of gas when I pump up the primer. It has the hole so I guess its there for some over flow or something but it doesn't seem to me that all this gas should come out of the hole onto the engine. any thoughts

jbander
12-27-2015, 12:31 AM
Well I got it going but I did multiple things so I can't say how I fixed it. Didn't do them one at a time, maybe I should have. The one thing that was totally wrong is the breather hose that comes from the top of the carb and goes nowhere was shut ,closed off, looked melted . I snipped the melted part off.

Crazyktmmatt
12-27-2015, 03:47 AM
Those LT/alt carbs are weird The primer and choke seem to work best for starting em. The enrichment lever doesnt seem to help.

The choke always freezes in the cold it seems, making it a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to start

oscarmayer
12-27-2015, 09:07 AM
Moisture in the fuel could have froze the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbander
12-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Moisture in the fuel could have froze the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkya that was a thought but bringing it into the warm garage didn't seem to help, kept on smelling of flooded gas even after just two pulls. although it still could have been frozen. I haven't gone to start it yet so we will see. Thanks a everyone for all the help , I'm glad I found this group it has been a Godsend. Thanks.

sledcrazyinCT
12-27-2015, 09:05 PM
sounds like the primer diaphragm has a pin hole in it that is why it spits gas out that hole. Sent you a PM with some good info

jbander
12-28-2015, 01:26 AM
sounds like the primer diaphragm has a pin hole in it that is why it spits gas out that hole. Sent you a PM with some good info Oh Ok, I guess I should start looking around for this. I can pull it apart to look at it. any source for small parts like that that you can think of