PDA

View Full Version : 86R thumb and twist throttle have the same cable?

jrooster
12-15-2015, 04:26 AM
Finally got a decent deal on a oem thumb throttle after watching ebay forever. I dont think 30 shipped was too bad. Anyways, are the cables the same for a twist and a thumb or will i need to order one of those too?

oscarmayer
12-15-2015, 02:55 PM
No. completely different in length, and end connections.
order a trashed old thumb throttle from ebay or get one form a friend here. then take it to a local old skewl bike ship and have them make you a cable with the trike to match length and such. I do it all the time in my area.

110 atc
12-15-2015, 11:19 PM
No the twist cable won't work. Problem with the thumb cable is it is integrated into the carb cap.

onformula1
12-15-2015, 11:27 PM
The stock OEM cable is the best, followed by Motion Pro & Terry Cable.

jrooster
12-16-2015, 03:53 PM
No the twist cable won't work. Problem with the thumb cable is it is integrated into the carb cap.

so you are saying my new cable for the thumb throttle will need to have a carb cap connected to it already? or can i move the carb cap off of the twist onto the new thumb cable. Also, i see you are from green bay. Im about 20 mins from the stadium. First local guy ive seen on the boards.

110 atc
12-16-2015, 10:03 PM
I think you can use a 85 cap and cable with the 86 carb to get away from the cable attached to the carb on the 86. Does that make sense? I think you can also use a cap and cable from a 89ish cr125. I would just use a motion pro cable that comes with the cap. There are a few more trike riders from our area on here, probably not real active though. I am 15 min north of the stadium in Suamico. Where are you?