PDA

View Full Version : 38mm mikuni on early tecate

tecatecrazy
01-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Is anyone running a 38mm mikuni flatside on their tecate?? what jetting are you using and what mods are done to your motor?? right now Ive got a 40 pilot and a 230 main with the clip in the center position. I had a 45 pilot and I went down to a 40 because it wouldnt idle and smoke pretty heavy. nothing really changed, except it trys to idle now. I decided that I may have a coolant leak so I removed the head and found lots of scratched in the sealing surface area (probably from removing old gasket). cleaning those up with 600 and 1000 grit reduced my smoking problem by half, but it still smokes and occasionally fouls plugs. obviously the next step is too start rejetting again but, for some reason nobody in town wants to sell carb jets so I have to order everything and I was hoping someone here might be rnning the same carb and could help me out getting this right. eng. mods: kx cylinder, v force reed block, dg pipe with answer silencer, no airbox with a uni clamp-on and bluemarble 50:1
help me if you can---Joe 8)

ps: I know blue marble is supposed to burn out the carbon and what not from your cylinder but I had only run one tank of gas thru this motor before switching to blue marble and I also cleaned out all the carbon from the cylinder when I had the head off.

monoxide
01-24-2004, 05:42 PM
i have a 38mm mikuni roundslide on my '86, iam running 300 main, 45 pilot, but i have alot of engine work, and iam at 750 above sealevel

Jeb
01-24-2004, 10:10 PM
I have a 38mm flatslide that used to be on my 84. I was running it with a DG pipe and boyessen reeds, vented stock airbox with UNI Stock Replacement Filter. Not sure on the jetting would have to take it apart to refresh my memory!

tecatecrazy
01-24-2004, 10:27 PM
I am thinking about just dropping it off somewhere and paying $50 and be done with it. I just want to ride the stupid thing but not until everything is right. god, I hate carbs. :x

monoxide
01-24-2004, 11:31 PM
I am thinking about just dropping it off somewhere and paying $50 and be done with it. I just want to ride the stupid thing but not until everything is right. god, I hate carbs. :x

:shock: $50 hell, mail it to me and i'll rejet it and mail it back :shock: