PDA

View Full Version : 200x swingarm

reedy350x
12-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Anybody know if there is a swingarm from another Honda that will bolt on to the 200x if so what model and what shock can I use ? Thanks

RUNMEDOWN
12-10-2015, 02:05 PM
I don't think any will without some mods. A few have modded 300ex swingers I think. I am sure more people will jump in

oldskool83
12-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Nope...need to custom built one. What are you trying to do? HRE had a 2nd gen 200x one set up for a 300ex carrier. It's about .5" longer then a factory 83-85 swinger. years ago I had a 300ex style one built for a 200x but it was not the best design. Normally easier to mod stock geometry.

Problem with a 1st gen 200x swinger is it is so narrow between the sprocket and the rotor you need to keep it like that due the frame rails. The wider you space or offset an axle the father over the rotor will go...hitting the subprime most times if not planed for.

I put put a new tusk 300ex axle in a 200x oem swinger now because I had too many parts and decided to build another bike...It's not too hard but requires machine work.

If you just after a wider axle you need to run a 82 atc250r axle which bolts in to the stock swinger.

If you need more assitance it's talk to me about options. I know a ton about these bikes and upgrades. Been building them nearly 10 years to look like stock but use all new atv parts.

Below are swingers I have had made thru the years

1st is 83-85 mixed with 300ex (300ex stock lenght which is 1.5" then factor 200x) It used all 300ex stuff and eccentric carrier and works 300ex shock and 300ex chain slider.
2nd is 83-85 nearly all 200x geometry but used a trx450r rear caliper mount and 400ex chain slider. 82 250r axle modified with 450R sprocket hub. It was plus 1.5" over factory with 83R shock.
My current one I am using stock 83-85 200x swinger modified with 300ex chain slider, removable rotor gaurd for trx450r rotor and hub on 300ex axle and 450R chain sprocket guard 400ex rear caliper with 83R shock.

HRE has made jig's if you need something like about what I have done. I felt the 2nd and 3rd arms I dreamed up worked better over the 1st design.

The problem when using alot of 300ex stuff is the rotor is about 1.5" larger in diameter then the 200x. You loose ground clearance and if you run it and run a large muffler it can hit it when you botto m out.

This I why i like the 450R rotor on the 300ex axle...it slides on but needs some shims to aling it properly.

I problem just blew your mind like the JET commercial lol.

reedy350x
12-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Well I want better suspension I'm in the process of putting forks from a 2003 cr85r on front and I think it's gonna work.so I want to do something in back too.

oldskool83
12-10-2015, 02:42 PM
You need to run a 83R shock and have a new lower dog bone mounted (only HRE made them because the specs are in my possession due to me designing it) See below for the dog bone made for the R shock conversion. It is the only shock which will bolt on to oem locations. By using all 83R stuff you will keep factory rake and trail which mean it will handle like your factory 200x but will just be taller with more travel I did this already also. 83R forks on the front end work the best. It is best to add a +1 swinger to have it handle really well since your going longer in the front you should go a little longer in the back too.

The 83R shock is .75" longer then factory 200x shock with adjusters in came locations. Has rebound and decompression adjustments.

2nd gen R suspension gives you nearly 10" of travel front and rear.

Rebuilding a factory 200x shock is an option also because just by upgrading to longer travel does not mean the shock will preform properly.

I did yz85 forks up front and well it didn't handle like a trailing axle did on the forks.

Anything else you need to know?

Ol Deuce
12-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Thats good info ! Thanks for posting Oldskool83 looking good......Ol Deuce

reedy350x
12-10-2015, 03:20 PM
Wow I really like the way that 200x looks how much money would I get into for exactly what you got on that swingarm and axel

oldskool83
12-10-2015, 04:07 PM
What swinger and axle? I listed 3 different types. These types of swaps are not for anyone who is cheap...but he is the only one that will to most things for 3wheelers. If you tell him you know me that prob will help you. Most of your parts you can find used on ebay.

-83R shock is prob $50-100 used
-300ex axle is prob $50-200 used to new
-38T TRX rear sprocket is prob $20 on average
-rear caliper depends on what you have or want to buy. I see no reason to use a TRX450R rear caliper when a 400ex or a 300ex one does the same thing.
-new bearings and seal kit is prob $25-40
-HRE swinger (email him)
-HRE dog bone (email him)

Add the cost up add in some fluff for some hardware you may not have and go play at the hills lol.

At the end of the day if you take it little by little it does not matter or if you have parts to use. That's why I build a different one each time since I used left overs from bikes I parted.

I am parting a 94 300ex if you need a stock axle and stuff but HRE needs to make the rest.

His email is: information@hreatv.com

I am going over there next week one day for some work. If this is something your serious about he is making items for me right now so it would be easier for him to make multiples at once.

If you have a stock swinger it would be cheaper to mod. I have another company who can lengthen and gusset them properly we use at work for $170.00 and another local powder coater who is rather cheap if you use gloss black lol!

A stock swinger with +1" or +1.5" will be ok for 90% of people riding them. You wont be seeing the abuse and force of todays MX quads with 50" doubles lol. Really custom swingarms should be made out of 1 piece because well its just easier to start from scratch sometimes then hack and chop and weld and cut and screw up and try again.

DasUberKraut
12-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Hey oldskool83. How about 86 200X frame and a 86 250R swinger? Is that a lot of work to make it fit?

oldskool83
12-10-2015, 04:25 PM
IDK,

Some guy put a 86 atc250R swinger on a 2nd gen 200x I remember once on here but he had to cut his frame up and mod some stuff. I use non link shocks...less parts more room. I do not like to see frame cut around swinger pivot bolts. It's normally easier to machine down a swing arm to fit the frame rather then make the frame fit the swing arm

Like I said anyone into 86-87 200x's HRE has made a stock length one running all 300ex stuff. It's siting in his shop. I almost used it for my build but I had a hair brain idea that I could put a 300ex axle in a stock 200x swing arm so I proved it lol.

I like 1st gen 200x's due to finding them dim a dozen so many times.

Most time if people just spend to have a shock built correctly the bike will feel like a different bike.

reedy350x
12-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Well I like the last one but from what your saying maybe I'll just add 1 1/2 on stock swing and go with the R shock . I have too many projects lol ! I'm also bringing a 125trx back to life very nice I will have an extra trx motor so I'm gonna put it on the 125m for the kids to ride but thanks for the info what Axel did you say bolted to the stock swing?

oldskool83
12-11-2015, 12:33 AM
only axle that will bolt onto stock swingarm is a 1982 250R. You need to run all the 200x stuff. a new +4 durablue is $650. I had gotten my last one free but wanted to go with somthing newer. any 250X/300ex axle can fit into the 200x swingarm. You need to use 300ex bearings and seals but then you need to machine sprocket hubs and make spacers.

everything needs to be tweaked. then different hubs need to be run to get you centered in the back.