PDA

View Full Version : hub welded onto axle ..

short4stuff
01-24-2004, 02:59 PM
It is welded on the front and backside of the hub... How in the he!! am I going to get that off? the bearings are gone and its welded on the right side which is the way the axle has to come off....

Dirtcrasher
01-24-2004, 04:06 PM
It is welded on the front and backside of the hub... How in the he!! am I going to get that off? the bearings are gone and its welded on the right side which is the way the axle has to come off....

Actually welds come off real easy, but you have to have the right tools.

A dremel with the fiberglass reinforced 1.250 OD discs work nice and a right angle grinder with a 3" cutoff disc work well also.

If you don't have either of them I suggest you use a drill with hi RPM's and a cutoff disc with an adaptor to fit in your chuck. There really aren't many other ways.

Good luck!

thefox
01-24-2004, 04:33 PM
Now you are finding out why it was only $50 ;) . The $50 185s that I bought had the rearend welded to the frame. I used a dremel and a hack saw to break most of the weld and then a hardend metal chisel to break the part that I could not get at. Don't know if this helps any.

-Andrew

ATC crazy
01-24-2004, 05:10 PM
If its just tack-welded in a few spots...just get a metal chisel and a good 2-3lb hammer and have at it ;)

short4stuff
01-24-2004, 05:13 PM
yea i wish it was just tacked... More like nice ring all the way around on each side of the hub.

BTW I knew it was welded when i bought it, I just could not care, now it sort of bothers me but i guess i will just have to sell the whole rearend together on ebay instead of in pieces.