PDA

View Full Version : Loading Big Red in Truck

rebel33382
12-06-2015, 09:18 AM
I have a 2500HD and bought a set of folding loading ramps (6'10") Can I safely drive it up without flipping it over? The ramp is on a 50degree angle. To be honest, I am a little scared due to a bad experience on a big red and a steep hill.
Thanks in advance
Jay

cr480r
12-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Can I safely drive it up without flipping it over? The ramp is on a 50degree angle. To be honest, I am a little scared due to a bad experience on a big red and a steep hill.
Thanks in advance
Jay

Probably not a good idea if you aren't comfortable. These things can hurt you fast, but it's also amazing what they can do with a lil finesse. Maybe try going up the ramp in reverse until you get a lil more experience. Definately have your ramps secured to the truck.

Kyleiniowa
12-06-2015, 11:15 AM
For sure, for sure, secure ramps to truck. Bad experience with those slipping off. I think you could do it if you sit up front almost on the tank and lean forward. Just go slow (but not a crawl 2-3mph would be my guess) with an even throttle and you'll be fine. If anything hit it faster and then let off the throttle as you go up, obviously adding the power makes the front end lighter for some reason... Ha. Have someone stand in the truck the first time so if you start to lift the front end they can catch you.
I also should add... Just get a 250R, I haven't ever used ramps, just a little muscle and she pops right in. 😉😀

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Matt85'350x
12-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Just walk along side of it and push it up. Safest way. Even if you get up the ramp safely you have to be careful not to smash out the back window of your truck.

Gearheadtom
12-06-2015, 12:03 PM
The ramps I use on my truck don't sound much less steep, and I don't have to much trouble loading my 250sx with lighter 200x front end. It's a little light in the front going up, but it's alright. I don't think they'd back up the ramp, just spin.
Backing the truck up to a hill helps a lot, makes the ramps a lot less steep. Always run a strap from the ramp to the truck so it doesn't kick out.

hoosierlogger
12-06-2015, 12:20 PM
I use a set of tri-fold ramps from Harbor freight to load my big red into the back of my Dodge 2500 with a stock ride height. It is a steep approach. It is not impossible, but is hairy the first few times you do it. Also, if you try to back it up in reverse like someone else had suggested, make sure you do not have a rubber bed mat in the truck or it will slide out and you won't make it in.

keister
12-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Just walk it up the ramp. Stand on the ground on the throttle side and let it drive up the ramp under its own power.

Chopsaw
12-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Just walk it up the ramp. Stand on the ground on the throttle side and let it drive up the ramp under its own power.

Thats whai I do .

Dont try to ride it up , and dont take it in backwards .

Mr. Clean
12-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Do it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_EBP8OtcU

Mr. Clean
12-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2xpAdKIS74

Kyleiniowa
12-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Do it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_EBP8OtcU
That guy just disproved physics.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mendoAu
12-08-2015, 12:58 AM
That's where a winch comes in handy.......

onformula1
12-08-2015, 02:29 AM
Ride her up, stab the rear brake to correct. Pin the ramps to the truck. Wear gear and a helmet.

tri again
12-08-2015, 06:23 AM
All interesting suggestions.
Luckily, I have a hill and a driveway that's cut down a couple feet so
I can almost load level without ramps.
oh, and then put it in gear and drive the truck fwd and it WILL roll out the back.
Yeah, the auto clutch models will roll backwards when in gear.

86125m
12-08-2015, 10:52 AM
just set the parking brake on your bike. The rear brake will hold the rear end down.

Devilsclaw
12-12-2015, 12:44 AM
If the thing has enough power to pull itself up you would probably be fine, but if it were me I'd back it down a ditch or depression and then it's no problem at all.

Keepah Rolln
12-13-2015, 07:41 PM
I just walk beside it and gas it up..

81ATC185S
01-28-2016, 01:12 AM
If you don't care about your tailgate just wheelie the front end up onto the tailgate then just pick up the back end and manhandle it into the box.

El Camexican
01-28-2016, 01:31 AM
I have to go up this ramp every time I want to go for a ride. I ride the YTM up, walk with the dirt bikes (serious clutch slipping, wheel spinning event, see the rubber strips?). I walk behind the Tri-Z because only 2 inches of the inside of either rear tire is on the ramp (built the ramp before I had the Z).

The Z has fallen partially off once and the dirt bikes have come off a few times, usually from spinning out when the grass is damp. Because of this I don't fear riding up folding ramps, but wearing a helmet and securing the rams to the truck is a must.

One of these days I'm going to trim that tree and ride the dirt bikes up.

ps2fixer
01-28-2016, 10:34 AM
I've always just rode the machine up the ramps. Biggest thing for a 3 wheeler is lean forward. If you can get enough traction, idle up it slow, but if it starts spinning let it back down. You'll need momentum to make it up the ramp if your spinning, so walking besides it pushing a little and letting it drive up is probably safest, but personally I have done it enough I just ride up a little faster letting off the gas as I go up. If anything ever doe happen, make sure to jump off away from the direction the machine is going. Never had to do that, but I have slid to the side of the ramps before.

If the angle is too much, you might bring a set of them car ramps for changing your oil etc. The lift the back of the ramps up around a foot or so and makes the angle a little better. If your ramps are too skinny, that might not be the best idea. As others have said though, you must secure the ramps to your truck, and be mindful if you have 2 ramps, you will need 3 ratchet straps, 1 in the middle wrapped around your ball (or bumper w\e), and one on each side going to the outside of your bumper, tie downs, or something to hold them from sliding inward. Pinned ramps work great too, but they can come out, so it is still a good idea to put a safety strap on em.

I'm lazy though... I have a hill at my yard that I back up to and put the machines in, just a 9-12in lift to get them in. My mom/dad's place has a dirt hill so no ramps required there either. My uncle's house has a small ditch that works well, and the state land I ride at has enough hills at, but generally I unload like everyone else there with ramps.

J trike
01-28-2016, 01:53 PM
I load my big red by placing a 2 by 10 down for the centre wheel and SLOWLY ride it right up.
The first time felt a little scary but no sweat!
I like to be standing and lean foreword slightly.
Guess I should strap the ramps to the truck though! Lol

Lifted it in a few times by hand but they're heavier than they look!:p

dustrunner
01-28-2016, 08:23 PM
I usually get two 30 packs and drink 12-15.... Then put what's left on the front rack and up we go .... Don't remember every having a problem .