PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking rear tires for 350x

userj8670
11-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Not really up on my brands of tires these days so any help is appreciated. I run mostly in rocky / hilly terrain with the occasional mud pit. I would think I would need a good mud tire with ability to slide. ..if they make such a tire?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

barnett468
11-30-2015, 11:44 PM
One option is to do a Google search for 22x10x9 tires . . You want at least a 4 ply tire for rocks and if you ride over sharp stuff, and 6 ply is better, but the 6 plies are a bit heavy which in your case doesn't matter much.

This tire is good for mud and rocks and plowin the field but it won't slide as well as many others.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/ams-swamp-fox-atv-tire

.........................................http://cdn1.bikebandit-images.com/product_images/am/450/ams-swamp-fox-atv-tire.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHOCK AND FORK REBUILDING AND UPGRADES

For anything from a simple oil change to complete rebuilding or revalving of your original shock or forks, Race Tec Suspension can do it all at very competitive prices . . Their labor cost to clean and rebuild most shocks is only $100.00.

They are one of the biggest and best suspension rebuilding and modification companies in the world, and . . Their turn around time is usually less than 1 week, so why take chances with anyone else whom may have far less knowledge and experience, and whom may also take up to 6 weeks or more to return your parts . . They are also the inventors of the very popular Gold Valve Emulators, so no one knows how to tune this system better then they do.

Phone 951-279-6655 or email http://www.racetech.com/

userj8670
12-01-2015, 12:07 AM
Thanks Barnett! That looks like a super tire but is there that perhaps might slide more so than that

Flyingw
12-01-2015, 02:07 AM
Take a look at the Kenda Klaw tire. In my opinion, its a great multi-surface tire. They are Bi-directional in that one way for hard pack and the other for soft pack.

barnett468
12-01-2015, 02:35 AM
the Klaw is 22x11x9

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1800/b4cba/products/2829/images/4154/KendaKlawXCTires_discountutvtires__88510.138437139 7.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

barnett468
12-01-2015, 02:39 AM
Thanks Barnett! That looks like a super tire but is there that perhaps might slide more so than that

The prob you have is your tire size and intended use . . The Klaw Flyingw mentioned is a good tire and will slide more than the one I posted but is no match for the one I posted in the mud, so you kinda need to get the tire type that will be best for the way you use the mike the most.

Wha tire did you have before?

Did you like it?

barnett468
12-01-2015, 02:41 AM
The Klaw is also 1" wider than your stockers and someone else that has run the wide Klaw will have to give you their opinion on running that width on your rims.

Flyingw
12-01-2015, 02:48 AM
I put the Klaws on two SXs and didn't really notice the added width. I liked those tires. They even didn't do half bad in loose sand but performed very well in all other terrains.

oldskool83
12-01-2015, 08:40 AM
do not buy 22's they will dog the bike down due to the extra weight..you wont even power slide with any of those tires. buy 20" rears, mud lights may work for you but they are still heavy and have a lot of side bite. a flat holeshot style tire will perform well.

I also like how everyone says you need a 4ply or heavier tire...from a guy how had road 27 years in rocks I have never put a hole or slash in tire...if your riding in the woods with tree stumps you will put holes in tires.

Jmoozy27
12-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Duro or Wanda knobbies are what I run in 20" or 22" there so light and reliable it doesn't matter. When you put a hole in one $50 and your rolling again.

userj8670
12-01-2015, 12:16 PM
The prob you have is your tire size and intended use . . The Klaw Flyingw mentioned is a good tire and will slide more than the one I posted but is no match for the one I posted in the mud, so you kinda need to get the tire type that will be best for the way you use the mike the most.

Wha tire did you have before?

Did you like it?

I have old school original wooly boogers on my bike. They seemed to do well but don't slide very well - lots of side bite

userj8670
12-01-2015, 12:23 PM
the Klaw is 22x11x9

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1800/b4cba/products/2829/images/4154/KendaKlawXCTires_discountutvtires__88510.138437139 7.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Will these go thru mud?

barnett468
12-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Your bike came with 22 inch tires and for your app, 22s ain't gonna "bog it down" . . its not like you are trying to race a "TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe", plus it has a 350 cc engine, so its not like your putting them on a 250R or an ATC90 . . The diameter, the more traction it will have in mud if all else remains the same . . If you put 24 inch tires on it, it will go thru the mud better than 20's or 22's if it is the same tread etc . . The larger diameter will make your gearing "taller" so you spend $18.00 on a one tooth countershaft sprocket to compensate for the extra tall tire.

As far as what ply you "need", you don't really "need" or 6 ply tires but for sharp edged rock, they are less likely to get a hole so in that regard they are just a little more added insurance against it . . Some people ride for years and never get holes and others aren't so lucky but if you get a hole, you can just put a tube it.

For sliding, a 4 ply tire is better than a 2 ply if all else is the same and a low profile tire will slide better than a high profile one if all else remains the same and a smaller diameter tire will slide better than a larger one if all else remains the same.

As I mentioned, you are really wanting one type of tire that works well in two extremely different environments and there simply isn't anything.

Yes both the Klaws and the Wandas will "go thru mud" so to speak, but again, the ones I posted will go thru it better in most cases, and if its a matter of going as far as possible thru a mud pit, the ones I posted are much better but they are the worst for sliding.

Below is a tire that is likely better for sliding than the others previously mentioned but it won't be quite as good in the mud, especially since it is a 20" tire . . it is also a 4 ply which is fine.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/723/17787/ITP-Holeshot-SR-Radial-ATV-Tire

https://images.rockymountainatvmc.com/images/prod/275/i/itp_08_tir_hol_sr_rea.jpg

the tire below comes in 20x10x9 and 21x11x9 6 ply and should slide decent but be a little better in mud than the one above.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/723/14095/ITP-Holeshot-GNCC-ATV-Tire

https://images.rockymountainatvmc.com/images/prod/275/i/itp_16_tir_hol_gncc_atv-rea.jpg

heres a wanda knobby P357 X tread . . this one is a 6 ply . . it has tall knobs and the ones on the outside have a sharp edge . . these features make it a little more diccifult to slide but if jmoozy says they slide easy, then they slide easy but the two above should be easier to slide for a less aggressive or less experienced rider.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSt_dUITnfbb1qQdUxk5IiR7E7D84S8R 2HxZSiIjeuQKLCkbSLZ

heres a wooly booger for comparison

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RmEAAOSwqu9VSVfB/s-l400.jpg

barnett468
12-01-2015, 03:59 PM

POST CORRECTION BECAUSE I HAVE NO EDT BUTTON

"The diameter, the more traction it will have in mud if all else remains the same."

should read

"The larger the diameter the more traction it will have in mud if all else remains the same."

"...its not like your putting them on a 250R or an ATC90."

should read

"... its not like your putting them on a low power bike like a 250R or an ATC90."

oldskool83
12-01-2015, 04:04 PM
A heavy 6ply tire in 22" will feel a lot different then a light 2ply tire in 22"...there is a lot of extra weight there. a 350X is already tippy and tall, lower the rear and let it preform like it should. 22's do not belong on any sport ATC or ATV, 20's.

An ITP mud lite will prod give you the best of both world.

I owned a set of wanda tires on my wifes raptor 250...they instantly felt different on the bike going from 2ply to 4ply. However the tires are build decent and all we ride in coal rocks. It climbed hills the same as guy running style paddle tires.

Normally if your gonna go with a heavier tire in the year you may need to drop down a tooth in the front to give the back its snappy torque back.

For mud you want a tire that self cleans. The tighter the knobs the worse it wont clean. I vote mud lights...I run them on my banshee in everything. But I felt the weight difference on them also so went town a tooth in the front to make up for it.

barnett468
12-01-2015, 04:37 PM
ANOTHER POST CORRECTION

"...its not like your putting them on a low power bike like a 250R or an ATC90."

should read
"... its not like your putting them on a lower powered bike like a 250R or an ATC90." http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/therethere.gif

userj8670
12-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Thank you all for the help!

Not to discount anything that has already been discussed but I am open to all ideas - then I will make my own decision.

bigcal
12-02-2015, 10:24 AM
I cant count the number of builds and project bikes i have seen on here with Fast Trekkers. they seem to be pretty popular

ATCT
12-02-2015, 11:29 AM
How about some Cheetah HP577c's? They're 20" (as opposed to the original X tires of 22), but have a similar tread pattern to the originals. They'll allow you to slide better as well.

http://www.hpcheetahtires.com/tires.html

You can buy them on the 3WW.com parts board... http://shop.3wheelerworld.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=304_307_310&product_id=309

keister
12-02-2015, 12:06 PM
I cant count the number of builds and project bikes i have seen on here with Fast Trekkers. they seem to be pretty popular

^^^ Those are great on the track. They aren't the best trail tire IMO.

I ride similar terrain and I ride a lot. Since 2009, my 350X has had the same pair of ITP Holeshot HD 20x11-9 that came when I bought it.
I have ridden tons of rocks, pavement, mud and they are outstanding for forward bite. Yes, they will slide too.
Best thing is you cannot wear them out. After about 4 years of spinning them, I just flipped them around to utilize the sharp tread that was formerly the rear edge.
They do have one drawback, the square profile does not offer the most cushy of rides.
When I ride 350X, I am willing to sacrifice a little comfort for traction. If you are in that boat, stop reading now.

But if you are looking to spare your back a little discomfort, consider "roundy poundys".
This would be a round profile tire that comes on a stock 350X. It is 22x10-9.
I think the Klaws that were mentioned earlier in the thread would fit the bill.
My nice 350X still has the originals that came on it. I think they say "Ohtsu" on them.
The good news is that every person that buys a 300ex, 400ex, immediately takes off this style of stock tires, so they are plentiful in the lightly used market.
And if Honda puts them on new kwads to sell, they can't be terrible.
Again, you will sacrifice some forward bite, but momentum and wheelspin are your friends, and with 350X torque, you will still go virtually anywhere.

So that's my take on it. Holeshot HDs for excellent traction and a long lasting hard compound OR
Roundy Poundys for acceptable traction and a soft cushy ride.
Either is a great choice. YMMV.

Onetrackmind
12-02-2015, 07:05 PM
I put a set of Cheetahs on my 85R and liked them so much, I put another set on the 350X! Great tires that look and perform awesome!

I can't wait till (Ernest?) finally gets the fronts for sale!

oscarmayer
12-03-2015, 05:04 PM
what kind of riding are you going to be doing?
trail? I prefer the Cheetahs for trail the best. for MX? well depends on how you want to control the as end. itp turf tamers are good, so are hoosers. My son races MX. we have 4 differnet types of tires.
1 soft MAXXIS Razor MX (Orange)
1 Super soft MAXXIS Razor MX
1 Duro MX rear
1 ITP PRo Turf Tamer set.

each track decides the type types we run. packed or loose, muddy or not, all that determines the tires we run.

userj8670
12-03-2015, 06:49 PM
what kind of riding are you going to be doing?
trail? I prefer the Cheetahs for trail the best. for MX? well depends on how you want to control the as end. itp turf tamers are good, so are hoosers. My son races MX. we have 4 differnet types of tires.
1 soft MAXXIS Razor MX (Orange)
1 Super soft MAXXIS Razor MX
1 Duro MX rear
1 ITP PRo Turf Tamer set.

each track decides the type types we run. packed or loose, muddy or not, all that determines the tires we run.

Riding is the woods mostly. Lots of rocky areas. Some areas of mud water and looots of dusty areas.

wamulass
12-06-2015, 12:07 AM
i like my carlisle stryker tires-old school look and are belted for extra toughness and last forever

Dirtcrasher
12-06-2015, 12:44 AM
A 350X pulls 22's fine. But, I like to stay low with a Holeshot, TT or Klaw.

Anyone who rides allot of trails; You will either hate or love 22osooo or 20osooo.

I do prefer the 20, (even if it's only an inch (that's what she said)): I like on my more 350X model......

userj8670
12-06-2015, 05:53 AM
A 350X pulls 22's fine. But, I like to stay low with a Holeshot, TT or Klaw.

Anyone who rides allot of trails; You will either hate or love 22osooo or 20osooo.

I do prefer the 20, (even if it's only an inch (that's what she said)): I like on my more 350X model......

Which of the 3 listed would do best in a mud hole - not that I ride there much but as stated i come across one every now and then on the trails that I need to cross

oscarmayer
12-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Cheetahs then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol Deuce
12-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Do the Duro 224749