PDA

View Full Version : Honda 200es question/ todays only day off to work on it!!!

jakeesspoo
11-14-2015, 11:04 AM
I have a 84 200es that I have had sitting in the barn. Once in a while a get the urge to mess with it. I have a baby at home now so as you guys know all work outside has come to a halt. Hes a year and a half but the barn is to greasy and dangerous for him, at any given time there are 2 or 3 tractors propped up with oak blocks getting worked on.
I inquired about this before but got some conflicting answers and the manual does not really explain it. But the manual does say in the left side dissasembly to drain the motor oil before starting so maybe it is supposed to be the way it is now. The way it sits, when its running if you remove the timing cap a bunch of blowby compression comes out as well as oil. If you hold your hand over the hole for a minute you will have a very oilly hand when removed.
I was told in a previous post that this is a wet oil bath ignition and this is completely normal is this true? Can one of you guys run out and start yours and check if your not sure and post back? I just wouldnt think that the stator would be made to be covered with oil but what the hell do I know. Like I said, in the disassemble section in the manual it says to drain the engine oil before removing the covers. I do not know why this would be necessary if oil were not supposed to be in there. Just dont understand all the blowby coming out of timing cap and oil. I hope this is normal. The bike runs good other than it will only run on full choke, but I dont care about that at moment plus that may just be the cheap ebay knockoff 20.00 carb I threw on there to try to get it running..... Please tell me what you think. The last time I asked this a guy on here referenced a 185 motor and said that the motor I had needed new bottom end gaskets and then the next post after that someone said "no the 200es is a oil bath ignition and supposed to be this way, it is not like the 185/200 engines" so I didnt know what answer to go with and at that time I didn't have time to get back to it but I would like to get this cleaned up and give to my dad for x-mas to use around my brothers farm.... I have other trikes I could give him but I want him to have electric start as his shoulder is bad and he doesnt need to be pulling on anything if I can help it..

3wheelrider
11-14-2015, 12:25 PM
I have a 84 200es that I have had sitting in the barn. Once in a while a get the urge to mess with it. I have a baby at home now so as you guys know all work outside has come to a halt. Hes a year and a half but the barn is to greasy and dangerous for him, at any given time there are 2 or 3 tractors propped up with oak blocks getting worked on.
I inquired about this before but got some conflicting answers and the manual does not really explain it. But the manual does say in the left side dissasembly to drain the motor oil before starting so maybe it is supposed to be the way it is now. The way it sits, when its running if you remove the timing cap a bunch of blowby compression comes out as well as oil. If you hold your hand over the hole for a minute you will have a very oilly hand when removed.
I was told in a previous post that this is a wet oil bath ignition and this is completely normal is this true? Can one of you guys run out and start yours and check if your not sure and post back? I just wouldnt think that the stator would be made to be covered with oil but what the hell do I know. Like I said, in the disassemble section in the manual it says to drain the engine oil before removing the covers. I do not know why this would be necessary if oil were not supposed to be in there. Just dont understand all the blowby coming out of timing cap and oil. I hope this is normal. The bike runs good other than it will only run on full choke, but I dont care about that at moment plus that may just be the cheap ebay knockoff 20.00 carb I threw on there to try to get it running..... Please tell me what you think. The last time I asked this a guy on here referenced a 185 motor and said that the motor I had needed new bottom end gaskets and then the next post after that someone said "no the 200es is a oil bath ignition and supposed to be this way, it is not like the 185/200 engines" so I didnt know what answer to go with and at that time I didn't have time to get back to it but I would like to get this cleaned up and give to my dad for x-mas to use around my brothers farm.... I have other trikes I could give him but I want him to have electric start as his shoulder is bad and he doesnt need to be pulling on anything if I can help it...

Yes-its an oil bath system & you will have blow-by if you remove the cap while running. Also oil will come out of side case if removed-dont remove if you dont have to. All normal on this model.
Carb sounds lean or clogged. Id give that stock carb another shot though. You might be overlooking something & might still be better than the china carb...

jakeesspoo
11-14-2015, 12:38 PM
thanks for the reply. Im on it as we speak. Been checking for a response since Ive been out here. No heat in barn but there is a computer lol.

Jmoozy27
11-14-2015, 04:25 PM
thanks for the reply. Im on it as we speak. Been checking for a response since Ive been out here. No heat in barn but there is a computer lol.

Maybe try changing the pilot jet. I'm pretty sure it's a #38. If there is an air fuel screw try tightening until it lightly seats then back it out 2 full turns.

barnett468
11-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Since the carb is not stock, make sure for certain which way is off for the choke.

Gearheadtom
11-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Basically with all the 200's if it has electric start, it's a wet (oil bath) stator, and if it's a pull start only motor it's a dry stator.
Have you had that new carb apart yet? I've heard of a few people using the chinese knock-off carbs, and having to disassemble and clean them before use.

jakeesspoo
11-18-2015, 10:55 PM
I put the stock carb back on after cleaning well and it runs much better. Have a carb kit for it on the way. Where does the oil return on a wet stator?