PDA

View Full Version : How do you get those old motors cleaned and polished up?

Kaysen
01-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Mine is just so grimey, it's clean but it just doesn't look it. I have had some success with lots of mothers and paper towels, but I am looking for a faster and easier way. Any help would be appreciated, possibly some pics. Either way, Thanks Kaysen

plkmonster2
01-23-2004, 10:45 PM
I would try engine degreaser.

Kaysen
01-23-2004, 11:06 PM
I tried that and it didnt seem to work all that well. Im just trying to find a better way than making your fingers bleed from polishing it. Thanks Kaysen

davham
01-23-2004, 11:53 PM
If you have the engine out, cover the intake and exhaust ports and go to the car wash. Dont forget to bring along a pocket full of quaters too. You will have to hold the spray nozzle very close.

TRI-Zbrian
01-24-2004, 12:31 AM
hot water pressure washer is the best way i think works wonders for me

4cylinders
01-24-2004, 12:52 AM
hey, I've used wheel cleaner. spray it on, let it set, then hose it off. real bad stuff try brake cleaner.

ATC crazy
01-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Purple Power and Steam Jenie

Look for them at an auto parts store...

atckowalski
01-24-2004, 01:43 AM
Be sure to whatch out for your gaskets when you power wash ;)

Kaysen
01-24-2004, 10:52 AM
I was thinking about the car wash, but decided against it because of the CDI, gaskets, and intake and exhaust openings. What would you suggest to cover the holes? I have polished the right side cover and it looks pretty good but now it is time to move on to the really bad part, the bottom end, and the finned topend. Thanks Kaysen

smokinwrench
01-24-2004, 10:57 AM
get some fine steel wool and wipe it down with it, it will look like new

hondatrikesrule22
01-24-2004, 10:46 PM
If you just want to clean it,do the pressure washer idea. take a stick or something and shove a rag in the openings as far as you can.The cdi should be fine(it the same thing when running through a creek).If you want to really detail it dissasmble the entire motor and sandblast everything,but I doubt you'll want to do that.

Kaysen
01-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Well I have found the solution. I stripped a bolt out and took it over to a friends house (he worked for olds for about 25 years), and after we couldn't get the threads fixed he noticed my horribly stained motor. Then he mentioned that he has this alkaline based air conditioner cleaner that worked well on his daughters drag wheels, we used it and voila' the motor is now clean. I think the stuff is called FOAMINATOR it is all caps on the package and it is in a wiper washer fluid type bottle. The motor is now ready to be sanded with a scotch brite pad and painted "cast aluminum". I really had not planned on painting the motor, but after finding out how hard it was to get it all clean and even paint seems to be the best option. Thanks to everyone who replied, Kaysen

plkmonster2
01-25-2004, 04:45 AM
if you have an air compressor, get the attachment that you put on, and are able to suck up fluids through it, and brow out a mist of the fluid with the compressed air. I used gas before, and it does an awesome job.