PDA

View Full Version : 85 tecate, kx cylinder?

atcrider1
11-10-2015, 01:53 PM
how do i tell if i have a tecate or kx cylinder? mine has a bridged exhaust port and porting by jrt racing? jt racing? sound familier to anyone?

thanks in advance

bkm
11-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Bridged exhaust port is a kx cylinder.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

onformula1
11-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Could it be-

Jp racing, they were pretty popular in the trike world.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

barnett468
11-10-2015, 05:15 PM
That cylinder won't work very well because it will make the handlebars much more difficult to hold on to, however, I just happen to have a very nice, box stock Tecate cylinder I would be willing to trade you straight across for it only because I'm concerned for your safety.

cochran
11-10-2015, 05:50 PM
If you are looking to get rid of it let me know. I would be interested.

jeswinehart
11-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Your KX top is around a 7+ horse power bolt on upgrade. Highly sought after.
The 84/85 KXT motor is a de-tuned KX dirt bike motor, and that is how it was detuned,,,, by putting a milder ported top end on the early T-3's
Gave me a few thousand more usable RPM'S as well.

Nice score ! john

barnett468
11-10-2015, 07:22 PM
The transmission gear ratios between the KX and KXT are also different.

YTZ drew
11-11-2015, 06:28 PM
I love that Kawasaki made it that simple to swap the jugs. Its a little more work for a YZ to Tri-Z swap. John, did you mean to "like" that post rather than dislike it? :confused:

jeswinehart
11-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Oh wow, I was using my phone for that reply and not sure how I even hit the like or dislike thingy. Never EVER have used it before !
Heck no, I LIKE this posting :)
Thanks for pointing that out Drew.
john

Keith Salyer
11-12-2015, 04:24 PM
I never rode a Tecate with the stock cylinder. How much HP gain with a ported stock cylinder with big carb , pipe ect.

barnett468
11-12-2015, 05:34 PM
I never rode a Tecate with the stock cylinder. How much HP gain with a ported stock cylinder with big carb , pipe ect.
we never dynoed them but i can tell you this, jimmy's first gen bike had a kx cylinder ported by bassani and a bassani exhaust and kx ignition which had a lighter flywheel than a tecate and it was very, very fast . . i and donnie luce had kxt cylinders ported by harry klemm and also had his pipes and ours were ported exactly the same . . i and donnie ran the stock kxt ignition.

i hole shot many races with my bike including a stadium race in san diego where jimmy and some other fast riders were and also at saddleback on the short track course course against jimmy and donnie and marty hart and many other top riders were and i won that race and i used a stock swing arm that was only 3/4" longer than stock and a stock front tire for every race.

donnie luce hole shot the loretta lynn national against jimmy and many other top riders and want the race.

what i would say from my experience, is that the kx setup should be a litter faster in a drag race on asphalt where there is perfect traction, but that it also comes down to rider ability and track conditions.

one of the reasons i got good starts was because i was just a good starter and not because my bike was so blazing fast because it was exactly the same as donnies.

i also think jimmy might have been better off running a stock tecate flywheel on some of the tracks.

unfortunately this doesn't answer your specific question but hopefully it helps at least a little.

barnett468
11-12-2015, 05:37 PM
POST CORRECTION BECAUSE I HAVE NO EDIT BUTTON

"...and want the race."

should be

...and won that race.