PDA

View Full Version : No light, taillights, starter power or indicator lights

daren1093251
10-30-2015, 06:30 PM
So, i've got my issue here. Nothing with electricity works. WAIT. Before you say, check the fuses, I did. All of them are good. WAIT. Before you say put a new battery, I did, its brand new never used it on any other vehicle. I checked out all the wires and grounds, cleaned out and all wires are still together.

Whats bothering me the most, is if I use a screwdriver to bypass the solenoid, the starter turns and goes as it should.
When this first happened, the bike was in my trucks box, i turned the key on, the indicator lights all died and since then nothing works.

I thought it got grounded somewhere and screwed up, but nope. Replaced the switch AND control where the starter button is with a working one from a buddies bike, no go.

Oh, and the battery does recharge itself. I run a light bar on the bike and a winch and the battery has never since died. Tried a new solenoid aswell, no go.

Any ideas would be great, thanks..

P.S. : To those following my ATC 110 thread I posted a while back, the thing got stolen so I never really updated. Sorry.

Jmoozy27
10-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Replace the ignition switch and check for frayed wiring on the harness. Start at the ignition switch and work back.

jeswinehart
10-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Is this a 250 bigred or sx by any chance ???

I am leaning towards it being a grounding problem. I know you went thru everything,,, it seems to me there is a engine to frame ground wire located in back of motor case and darn hard to access.
very frustrating for sure.

john

ps2fixer
10-31-2015, 09:01 PM
I second the ignition switch, or manually connect the wires if you can match up the colors correctly from a service manual. Sounds like the exact same situation as if you disconnected the ignition switch, no lights or starter would work, but would still run. Not 100% if the battery would charge in that state or not.

We don't know what machine you are working on, so our guesses are kind of generalized.

jeswinehart's ground idea I think would give the same situation as well. Multimeter would be worth while pulling out and checking any green wire to engine block for high resistance, or no connection.

Also on some machines there is a fuse that can blow that would do the same thing, however you said you checked that already.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Legns
11-01-2015, 12:10 PM
I have a similar problem so I am going to steal this thread sorry I have an 85 250sx it runs great but when I take my battery out the trike still runs great but I loose all my lights my neutral light will light up when i rev the engine but the headlight will not work. Now is this a weak stator or could it be a bad ground or something else. I lost my book so does anyone know how many amps/volts the stator should be producing?

Legns
11-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Ok so in my case I removed the stator and looked at my fly wheel and realized it was different I always thought that the 250es and 250 sx were the same motor but the flywheel on the sx was smaller not by much but by enough that it was causing the lights not to work. So I swapped the flywheels and I am good to go

Jmoozy27
11-06-2015, 10:04 PM
Ok so in my case I removed the stator and looked at my fly wheel and realized it was different I always thought that the 250es and 250 sx were the same motor but the flywheel on the sx was smaller not by much but by enough that it was causing the lights not to work. So I swapped the flywheels and I am good to go

Glad that you got it rolling!!! Are you sure that the model year was the same for the 2 parts?

ps2fixer
11-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Glad that you got it rolling!!! Are you sure that the model year was the same for the 2 parts?

To expand on this...

the 85 250sx lists 3 part numbers for the fly wheel, 2 of the 3 interchanges with all 250es and 250sx machines for all years, the last part number does not list 87 model, I assume your not working on an 87 though for either machine.

Odd ball part number:
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-31110-HA0-004.html

I didn't dig into the stator side.

Legns
11-11-2015, 06:09 PM
To expand on this...

the 85 250sx lists 3 part numbers for the fly wheel, 2 of the 3 interchanges with all 250es and 250sx machines for all years, the last part number does not list 87 model, I assume your not working on an 87 though for either machine.

Odd ball part number:
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-31110-HA0-004.html

I didn't dig into the stator side.

Both motors are from 85's one from an sx one from an es. They did have different part numbers on them.

oscarmayer
11-11-2015, 07:02 PM
i have also found the switches themselves can pose issues. so the switches could be corroded on the inside and may need repair.

Gearheadtom
11-12-2015, 06:41 PM
I can't remember the wire colors, but the key switch connects a constant 12v from the battery to the switched 12v circuitry. Look up those wire colors in a wiring diagram and check for power on the constant 12v wire. If there is power, then jump the constant and switched wires together to bypass the key switch, to eliminate that as an issue.