PDA

View Full Version : 1985 R complete restoration

250r'en +TCB
10-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Hey all,

Well now that I am working at a local powersports dealer and can get everything at cost I figured it was now or never to give my 85R the full restoration she deserves. about 9 years ago I stripped it down to the frame, but due to being in highschool I was lacking in funds and ended up just putting her back together with mostly the parts I took off.

Anyway just got the frame and swinger back from powder coating. As you can see I went with gold on both, hoping to match the OEM pro-link swinger as best I could (it looks a little lighter to me?).

I wanted to do something a little different than the stock red on the frame and was inspired by many of you who have done the same. ChrisR has or had an ice racer with a bright yellow frame that looked awesome for instance!

The upgrades will be a combo of what she had and what I am adding now:

-Short Track Kit
-310 sleeved/ported OEM cylinder
-Mikuni 38mm carb
-Pro Design cool head
-billet bearing carrier
-Dura Blue axle
-13/36 gears
-ESR billet clutch cover and other engine covers
-TAG handlebars
-Twist throttle

Anyway attached are some pics I took with my ST tank and shrouds on to show what the gold frame will look like against the red plastics. Made me recall why I fell in love with that ST kit! More pics to come obviously...

tecaterob
10-29-2015, 03:40 PM
I love the color combo!!!!

Mr. Clean
10-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Very cool. I remember when I joined a number of years ago thinking how cool it was that a high school aged "man" was building a 250r. I look forward to following your progress.

apickering975
10-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Check out this post from a while back:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/98900-My-83-ATC250R-Build-Up!!!
This guy painted his frame a Nissan Pulsar Fiji Blue and in my opinion it looks really cool. I like the color you chose for your frame as well. Good luck with your build! Cant wait to see how it turns out.

jb2wheels
10-29-2015, 07:39 PM
The gold looks better than I expected.

I've been thinking about colors for my 84 Tecate frame and gold was on the list since the 84 has lots of gold parts. Your pics put it at the top of the list.

250r'en +TCB
10-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Check out this post from a while back:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/98900-My-83-ATC250R-Build-Up!!!
This guy painted his frame a Nissan Pulsar Fiji Blue and in my opinion it looks really cool. I like the color you chose for your frame as well. Good luck with your build! Cant wait to see how it turns out. Yeah looks like he tried to match the honda OEM blue on the seat cover. Nice combo I wouldn't have thought of! Definitely wouldn't recommend painting a frame or swinger though. I did that the first time I stripped mine down and it doesn't hold up. Get any brake fluid on there and it will come right off! And any scuff will expose the primer. Spend the money, get it powder coated.

The gold looks better than I expected.

I've been thinking about colors for my 84 Tecate frame and gold was on the list since the 84 has lots of gold parts. Your pics put it at the top of the list.
Thanks! Can't wait to have it all assembled

250r'en +TCB
05-29-2016, 10:54 PM
***UPDATE 5/29/16***

Finally got the engine back from the builder. I ended up having to replace the crank because the mains had a tiny bit of play so I bought a hot-rods long stroke crank (hence the spacer plate). It has a cool head with a dome that was built to run on 100LL (avgas). Obviously some ESR dress up as you can see. Also V force reeds. That complete stainless bolt kit from ebay was worth every penny!