PDA

View Full Version : 1st top end rebuild

jakeesspoo
10-28-2015, 11:13 PM
I finished my first top end rebuild tonight on my 79' honda 110. I put in a new piston, rings, and had cylinder measured and honed. Also replaced the valves and lapped them in myself. I got it running but it has a horrible tick coming from the valve area. I checked valves and re-adjusted but there still loud. I timed engine with timing light. Bike runs good it just has that horrible tick. What would a bike sound like if the valves were too tight. It sounds like mine are loose but what do I know? Also when I removed the lower valve cover a good amount of oil spilled out, is this normal on a horizontal engine??? I guess I would never have seen it before cause all the other atcs valve covers are up high. I did put that seal (it was green in my replacement gasket kit) on the exhaust valve when I re-installed it.
I did end up with a "extra" gasket from the kit but I did not remove the old one that I know of and I wasnt sure where it went. The seal in question was about an inch or inch and a quarter diameter with metal on both sides and a filler in the middle it was a couple mm thick maybe. The bike runs great and sounds great with the new DG exhaust but that tick is awful. No I did not replace the timing chain but I did adjust it and like I said Im not a expert but it sounds like its ticking valves. Now that I think about it I wonder if that mystery gasket went in between the head and the exhaust pipe? If so I do not have a gasket in there if that matters...

jakeesspoo
10-29-2015, 08:51 AM
The oil in the valvecover really concerns me

shortline10
10-29-2015, 11:23 AM
A loose Timing chain will sound similar to loose rockers .
Oil pooled in the lower tappet cover is normal , I would be concerned if their wasn't any lol

86125m
10-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Yes x2 on the loose timing chain did you install the timing chain tentioner right if memory serves I believe that the timing chain tentioner is kind of tricky to install for this bike. I would be rely concerned if there wasn't oil getting to up to the valves

jakeesspoo
10-29-2015, 10:58 PM
I think its the valves ticking. The sounds also seems to come and go sligtly every 10 seconds or so but is always there just not as loud. Im wondering what if anything i did wrong on the rebuild. It runs nice and pipe sounds great but that ticking is loud and upsetting

oscarmayer
10-30-2015, 03:38 PM
check the timing chain tensioner. there is a bolt on the bottom of motor you remove to loosen it. be careful a spring will fly out if your not. remove the spring and push up and down on the chain.

did you replace the timing chain and guide wheel? those are also recommended. I have seen aftermarket chains not properly be to length.

YTZ drew
10-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Are you sure the bolts for the cam sprocket are correct? If you accidentally used ones that are too long they may make contact inside the head somewhere, which could come and go as you describe if the cam has a little bit of axial play. The correct bolts should be 10mm long from underside of the bolt head to the end of the threads.

oscarmayer
11-01-2015, 11:56 AM
^they don't have open bolt holes. they bolt to the cam directly, so that cannot happen.

it could be they are tool long and leaving the gear loose. the cam chain tension wheel may be not attached, the tensionier below may be binding. or jush thought the cam or the rockers could have a flat spot.

also check the flywheel area. loose crank bolt, loose crank, loose stator can cause these too.
check the pull-start. loose bolts can also cause this.

jakeesspoo
11-01-2015, 02:42 PM
I'll check some of these suggestions out. It's my first top of end build so I'm learning. 1st thing I have learned is replace cam chain when it's opened up to eliminate that